Baker Hughes

Baker Hughes Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead

Martin Craighead

Pros
  • Depending on superior, work life balance is reasonable(in 18 reviews)

• Long standing oil tools company with good benefits(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance as there is little regard for employees(in 17 reviews)

• Upper management is doesn't understand the impact of their decisions(in 21 reviews)

Looking to Escape BHI

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBenefits
    Enjoy my line of work
    The possiblitity of this being a great company (again). Not on my watch.

ConsEmployee morale is: "Whatever it takes to make me look good" attitude.
    It's not what you know, it's who you know..... Opinion's are golden, and facts are not.
    Cut throat work environment. There are too many chief's and not enough indians or you have your "Self Appointed Chief's", whose only purpose is to look good to upper management while your low man on the todium pole does all the work without the credit. There is no direction or vision.
    The constant organizational changes are running havoc throughout the company.
    Hard work and dedication are not key points they are looking for in an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture issue should be reviewed and addressed (immediately) by upper management/hr all the way down the corporate ladder in order to establish change. Need to re-establish job responsibilities and communicate changes to your employees. Department processes and procedures are a must. Departments are too disconnected from other departments. This could be a great company again, for the sake of your remaining employees, I hope it is soon.

Managers just do what makes them happy! Dont matter how execellent employee you are!.

Just Worked There (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompany benefits package thats the only good thing about them.

ConsManagers, leads they dont care how good you are as an employee.They just want to satisfied themselves. HR will never listen to employees but they will to managers only.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR needs to be there for the employees too.

Trending downward.....................

Mechanical Manufacturing Equipment Master I (Former Employee) Claremore, OK

ProsThis job supported my family for 13 years, and I did take advantage of educational reimbursement to obtain a degree. I was also able to gain many new skills which I am now putting to use for a new employer who appreciates my quality of work and work ethic.

ConsFor a greater part of my 13 years with Baker Hughes, I was able to grow tremendously, including obtaining a degree, as well as many skills. Although I showed great initiative, ingenuity, and dedication, as well as receiving top marks in all my evaluations, I found myself virtually in the same spot at the end of my career with Baker as in the beginning. I was denied the few opportunities to advance that presented themselves, and was even told by my supervisor and my HR representative that I was stuck in a dead-end career with Baker. I did, however, watch other individuals who refused to complete previously agreed upon educational requirements for obtaining higher positions advance repeatedly. At Baker Hughes, it's not what you know BUT.................

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management is too busy giving eachother new titles and playing the "reorganization" game to worry about the day-to-day problems that are costing them talent where the money is ACTUALLY BEING MADE. Lower tier managers are too busy patting each other on the back or screwing eachother over to worry about who is ACTUALLY doing the work that PAYS THEM. All-in-all, any advice would be wasted on the deaf ears of these small-minded jackwagons! Thanks for the education and the great opportunities it has opened up for me AT MY NEW EMPLOYMENT :P

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Consider Baker a Temp. Job.

Senior Field Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsBaker is a good place to get started in the business. Do not make the mistake of thinking you will have a career with them. Keep your debts. down. Management fires employees at will.

ConsHorrible management. Poor equipment. This is not the Baker Hughes of the old days. Management is not trained at all. They follow the "Good Ole Boy" code to the letter. Stay away if you can. They have very few long term employees left. This is not a career job, you are temporary help at best to Baker.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the "management for dummies" guide book.

Reorganization is destroying BHI

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat coworkers, Good pay\Benefits, Interesting Work

ConsThis WAS a great place to work 2-3 years ago. The "OneBakerHughes" reorganization has changed that. The new and "improved" company structure is an absolute mess with management changes still occurring nearly weekly. In addition to that, there endless new VP's\Directors being hired on while at the same time we are told we cannot hire engineers to backfill positions where people were actually doing the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and just consider that maybe BHI is headed down the wrong path.

Hard to recruit for a place you don't respect...

Talent Acquisition (Former Employee)

Prosglobal opportunities and work with people from all parts of the world.

Conshorrible, horrible management. hypocritical policies. highly politicized - it's much more important to be liked than to be skilled.

Advice to Senior Managementresign.

“It is not the company it use to be.”

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI've always believed that the people and products are the companies most valuable assets.

ConsDoes not recognize or reward hard work.
    And are losing allot of its top talent to competitors and customers because of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou reap what you sow.

Used to enjoy working for a great company, unfortunately not any more...

Product Line Manager (Current Employee) Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

ProsBest technology and best tools in the oil and gas services market. Great people to work with and as long as we are proud of being Baker Hughes people.

ConsStop Schlumbergerizing our Baker Hughes, we always been BHI and we should remain as Baker Hughes. This is the company I joined as fresh graduate and would like to continue working as Baker Hughes Employee....... Currently, I'm feeling sick of Schlumberger people joining the company and they way they are given power and credit, just because they are ex-Schlumberger...... they simply get laid off in SLB and join BHI to make it a worse place to work in............. ENOUGH.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring laid off people from SLB and look at talent pools from BHI and develop internally within the company. Soon all good guys will leave BHI to join competition and you'll find yourself only left with morons of ex-Schlumberger.

Cut throat.

Administrative (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLocation. Location. Location. Different cultures.

ConsConstant change. Good ol' boy network.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what is right. I don't know how some mgrs can sleep at night.

Terrible Company to Work For

(Former Employee) Claremore, OK

ProsIts a safe place to live and thats important because you will be living there.

ConsEmployees are forced to work overtime non-stop without any concern for employees homelife. People who kiss ass, but are not qualifed get job promotions into engineering type positions. Employees have to reach a certain level of perfection to get a small raise that is only up for review once a year. This is the worst, most miserable company I have ever worked for. Unions were created because of companies like this. Since leaving there I've had tons of text messages from coworkers wanting me to help them find jobs so they can leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating people right or you won't have any experienced people left.

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!