Baker Hughes Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
3.5

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead
Martin Craighead

Pros
  • Company takes very good care of employees, offering excellent benefits and a good work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Good benefits pay could be better, oppurtunities good and work with a good team (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance as there is little regard for employees (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management is doesn't understand the impact of their decisions (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Great benefits package overall. Highly structured company

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Baker Hughes offers really good benefits package.

Cons

They don't offer much time off, very conservative mentality and working culture

Great learning experience with amazing employees and opportunities.

Former Employee - RDD Engineer V - Mechanical Engineer in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - RDD Engineer V - Mechanical Engineer in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Baker Hughes as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Although it's a large company, I felt comfortable reaching out to others for help and insight. I knew nothing about the oil industry before my internship and came out after 3 months with a wealth of knowledge not only about the area I was working with, but the industry as a whole.

Cons

The only con was that it took over 5 months to get back to me after my interview that I had received a job offer.

Some yes and no, but overall the best mud logging offshore company to work for!

Former Employee - Field Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Engineer

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time

Pros

Great Salary, Great offshore accumulation of days, great perks health insurance, hotels, gas mileage etc

Cons

Favoritism from Management, Unfair distribution of job duties and special roles, operator and rig assignments etc
    And don't ever fail a class... you'll be down the line first runner up to be laid off or terminated for "job performance".

Stop with the favoritism and ass-kissing ...each employee is just as good as the other and people deserve to be rotated equally not based on who are gym partners outside of work or have social relations outside of work ..

Great company

Current Employee - FP&A Analyst
    Current Employee - FP&A Analyst

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I like working here and the people have always been great and supportive

Cons

As with any corporate company, there is politics

Great benefits, competitive compensation, the work experience varies with the area you're working in.

Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Mill Hall, PA
    Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Mill Hall, PA

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great. One man per hotel room (in the Marcellus).

Cons

Eagle Ford frac is lopsided in the safety vs. production ration. Emphasis heavy on production over all else. Negotiated starting pay is what you had better be satisfied with for years. The career development program is non-existent. Taking online classes for advancement is not difficult. Getting them to perform a competency assessment in the field is near impossible. The few I met who got field competency assessments done did not see an increase in pay for a year in some cases. Lost paperwork, updating in the system, etc.

Pay closer attention developing employees so that you can retain better trained, motivated employees.

If you get to upper management you're set

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

Good pay and benefits, always loved all of the people I worked with.

Cons

Constantly changing of titles to make roles for people who someone else in upper mgmt obviously liked because no one else ever saw any benefits from their positions

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Get to know all of the people in the product line before promoting. Determine who is actually getting things done.

Great money, good benefits, long hours.

Current Employee - Field Operator in Clarksburg, WV
    Current Employee - Field Operator in Clarksburg, WV

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay, the benefits are pretty good, company truck and fuel card, travel and expense card. Seven days off most of the time.

Cons

Working 12+ hour shifts, 14 days straight, and being on call on days off. Management could use some work. Sometimes there are unrealistic expectations.

Great company

Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Been a very good work experience, chances for mobility and good management. Better atmosphere than most competitors. Ive moved around in different business units and geomarkets, so I would say there are definitely chances to do different things in your career, which I view as a big positive.

Cons

Compensation can be less than other oilfield service companies, but honestly thats all I could say as a negative, if you're happy with the pay, you'll be happy working at BHI.

Great overall experience, but disconnect between old management and new hires.

Former Employee - RDD Wireline Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - RDD Wireline Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Baker Hughes as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great hands-on experience. You will be given highly technical tasks with responsibility immediately if you can handle them.

Cons

The corporate culture is stiff.

Needs to try to update corporate culture and do something about managers who are getting to be out of touch with younger generations.

It has been very rewarding both from a salary perspective and in terms of challenges/opportunities available.

Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst - Global Engineering App Support in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Baker Hughes is strong financially and they have great benefits such as 50% match up to 6% of salary in their 401K. Onsite cafeterias with Starbucks at major locations. Liberal holiday, vacation and health benefits.

Cons

Large company...sometimes difficult to determine to whom we should turn for answers to questions or issues.

Reverse employee reviews would be helpful. More activities to meet the other emplooyees would increase inter-connectivity and communications.