Baker Hughes

Baker Hughes Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead

Martin Craighead

Pros
  • Depending on superior, work life balance is reasonable(in 19 reviews)

• Long standing oil tools company with good benefits(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance as there is little regard for employees(in 17 reviews)

• Upper management is doesn't understand the impact of their decisions(in 21 reviews)

Great opportunities available for those who apply themselves

Wireline Operator (Current Employee) Midland, TX

ProsGreat benefits, laid back atmosphere. you can make a lot of money. Co-workers have been very helpful. Very safe environment, up to date equipment and tools. All clothing and boots provided, so minimal out of pocket expense to start.

ConsLong hours sometimes, but with overtime pay it where you make the money. lack of direction sometimes, when I started my manager went on vacation, so this probably is an isolated case. sometimes jobs run into your days off which is a bummer.

Happy with career so far.

ProsGood career development opportunities especially for technical and operations personnel. World class training programmes. Technology and innovation driven. Opportunities to take on roles in different areas; e.g. from field operations to Human resource or supply chain. Great colleagues who are energetic, competent and helpful. Senior management tries to live out the company values.

ConsImpact of recent reorganisation still being felt in certain segments. Promotions can be slow, especially for those who are not 'well connected' within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the renewed focus on people management so as to enhance retention.

Great place to start in the oilfied.

Field Engineer (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsOpportunities for training and advancement are plentiful. Engineers are valued.

ConsMay have to start in the field and that can be grueling. Difficult to maintain a work-life balance initially while you are getting experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A time full of training and exposure to multiple disciplines.

Geoscientist (Current Employee) Midland, TX

ProsBaker takes care of its own and does it's best to stay involved with your progression.

ConsAs with any big company things tend to move slower than you would prefer at times.

Working in professional and friendly atmosphere and delivering solution to oil and gas industrial.

Completion Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWorking for company that is leader of completion is exciting. Work with multi-disciplinary team of multinational professionals.

ConsSupporting the Sale Engineers and Operation Engineers that facing deferent problems and guide operational performance without compromising HSE.

Great place to work and grow.

ProsCompany takes very good care of employees, offering excellent benefits and a good work/life balance. Pension, 401k, stock purchase discounts, etc. Growth opportunities through training. Adhere to Core Values of Integrity, Teamwork, Performance, Learning, and Courage...not just a punch line. Open to new ideas and promotes innovation and collaboration. Fosters teamwork while also focusing on individual needs.

ConsBaker has some growing pains on occasion as organizations are restructured and new programs are rolled out.

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication and recognition go a long way. Keep up the good work!

On the rise

Manufacturing Engineer III (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsOpportunity to learn, professional development, good people,

ConsHard to change to different departments; less unit amongst departments

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, give opportunities to the most qualified people.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI've given myself 18 months to observe and form my opinion and I find that this has been one of the most productive work environment that I've ever worked in. I find that most (about 75%) Managers, Directors and Team Members seem to honestly have confidence in your ability, appreciate your talent and allow you the creativity and imagination to do what you do best. While there are processes in place, you're allowed to modify and adjust how you perform if it improves your productivity and is within policy. The environment is not rigid and regimented and brainstorming sessions and new ideas are welcomed. They believe strongly in education, learning and training and encourage you to advance your personal development and to form a career path.

ConsThe exact opposite of my pro is my con. The other 25% of employees that you encounter, mainly upper management, treat you as if you're nonexistent. They vaguely know who you are (and still a few don't), and they have no idea of what your contribute is to their team. Personally, most of the time this is fine because many times anonymity and the lack of interruptions allow you to focus more intently on your work and produce so much more.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile there are rewards, recognition, great compensation and an environment that promotes learning, acknowledging a team member as existent and sometimes just a "good morning" is more than enough to promote comradery and a feeling that your contributions are a necessary part of operations

Great Company to Work For

Field Engineer III (Current Employee) Corpus Christi, TX

Prosgood pay, friendly co-workers, excellent training program

Consoffice politics, some times work long hours

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Midland, TX

Prosthey pay well and have good benefits

ConsThere are no cons that I can think of

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!