Baker Hughes Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1,023 Employee Reviews

Managers just do what makes them happy! Dont matter how execellent employee you are!.

Current Employee - Just Worked There in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Just Worked There in Houston, TX

Pros

Company benefits package thats the only good thing about them.

Cons

Managers, leads they dont care how good you are as an employee.They just want to satisfied themselves. HR will never listen to employees but they will to managers only.

Advice to Management

HR needs to be there for the employees too.

Looking to Escape BHI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Benefits Enjoy my line of work The possiblitity of this being a great company (again). Not on my watch.

Cons

Employee morale is: "Whatever it takes to make me look good" attitude. It's not what you know, it's who you know..... Opinion's are golden, and facts are not. Cut throat work environment. There are too many chief's and not enough indians or you have your "Self Appointed Chief's", whose only purpose is to look good to upper management while your low man on the todium pole does all the work without the credit. There is no direction or vision. The constant organizational changes are running havoc throughout the company. Hard work and dedication are not key points they are looking for in an employee.

Advice to Management

The culture issue should be reviewed and addressed (immediately) by upper management/hr all the way down the corporate ladder in order to establish change. Need to re-establish job responsibilities and communicate changes to your employees. Department processes and procedures are a must. Departments are too disconnected from other departments. This could be a great company again, for the sake of your remaining employees, I hope it is soon.

Micromanagment, special treatment all over !!!

Current Employee - IT Services in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Services in Houston, TX

Pros

Pay is good, can't think of any other pro

Cons

Micromanagement is bad, mananers treat employees like children... special treatment. The only way to advance is to kiss *ss all day everyday.

Advice to Management

New leadership is needed quick !!!

Horrible place to work, most political company you would ever work.

Former Employee - Repair & Maintenance Tech I in Broussard, LA
    Former Employee - Repair & Maintenance Tech I in Broussard, LA

Pros

The pay is good and the benifits are really good. If you also like to travel the world this is a good place to go to.

Cons

Employees were very rude and obnoxious. The supervisor knew nothing about the tools or equipment that were in his area. How he ever became a supervisor is a wonder. He also showed heavy favrotisim toward the employees that would go do chores, fish, hunt, or hang out with him after work. Never would write them up for coming in late, standing around talking to each other doing nothing, talking on their phones. He also would get his favorite employees to spy on me while I worked and report to him anything I did. Everything I did was critisized from my walking paste, my clothes being dirty and greaey (Im a mechanic stupid!) , even my facebook was stalked and was said to be unprofessional. Their computer programs were also very hard to understand and keep up with as they would change everything constantly. I was let go for so say poor work performance when I had better applied hours than most of the other employees. Working here was the worst 9 months of my life!!!!!! NEVER WORK HERE!!!!!

Advice to Management

Hire better supervisors who actually know what their doing andare fair to ever employee.

No reward or recognition for performance, lousy leadership.

Current Employee - Senior IT Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior IT Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Relative freedom to define job and responsibilities, some interesting technical challenges. Good pension plan, ok medical and dental benefits. One of the big three oilfield service companies, so mobility and career possibilities are not bad.

Cons

Dysfunctional organization structure within the IT organization makes it very difficult to get anything done, and it requires a very large effort to get things moving. IT management's leadership style is autocratic. Some of the processes are archaic.

Advice to Management

There is a plethora of tools, but little in the way of knowledge or training for using them properly. Reduce the number of tools, and get the best ones implemented properly. The HR tools for appraisals and job requisitions are the worst I have seen. The 3 IT groups involved in every project step on each other's toes, and hinder rather than help.

The company lost direction when it went to a geomarket system and has never found it.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

The company is "younging' its workforce. Good benefits package. Excellent Technology Centres.

Cons

Senior management completely out of touch with workforce. Morale very low amongst workforce and lack of direction from senior management reinforces this. Company always first to lay-off people and the last to start hiring. Company happy to be number three in all it does. Company is CAPEX averse.

Advice to Management

Create a clear vision of where the company is headed and convey this to the workforce.

Not a good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunbar, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunbar, WV

Pros

competitive wages, benefits, holiday pay, chances for advancement if you're into brown nosing, newer equipment, some nice supervisors and field guys

Cons

merged with BJ services in Nov 2011, took over in Jan 2012 and laid off all BJ legacy employees May 1, 2012 a very deceitful company layoffs without any notice zero respect for their employees even when employees are compliant with all demands. employees sacrificed the ultimate by leaving their families for weeks at a time and BHI thanked them by laying them off with no warnings. lowest company morals and values than any other company in the gas/oil industry about the $$$$ instead of their employees no communications with employeess by senior management severance package is a joke

Advice to Management

get some morals and have respect for your employees. you seem to forget that they are what keep your company running. Stop wrecking lives by over hiring and then laying off.

Baker Hughes is the worst company ever !

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, thats about it.

Cons

Where do I begin ! When I started working for Baker I thought it would be a good experience, but NO it is not. Nobody seems to know what there doing around. When I ask about how or why this is, it's like I get a blank stare. It's clearly the fact that people are in positions that they don't even qualify. I would think that if you call yourself a Specialist or Technologist then you need to know your stuff, you would think. It's all about who you know and who your "screwing". Also at some of there facilities, employees sometimes get to involved with each other, I mean "PERSONALLY" involved with each other. I don't have a problem with that as long as it is kept outside the work place & work load. Co-workers flirting with each to get more work is flat out wrong and not fair to the other workers who are working hard too. Not only that I see that it is a racist and sexist company as well. They take one look at you and think that you don't measure up or not smart enough. And if you are smart and have experience and are doing a good job then they consider you a threat to their position. Thats just some of what I have experience here at Baker Hughes, but hopefully I pray it gets better.

Advice to Management

Get new management ! Hire people that are actually qualified to do the job ! Keep politics out of the work place ! Training needs to be increased ! Stop being so judgemental and let people to there jobs !

families are torn apart by this company

Pros

good money that is the only pro

Cons

unable to have a family life at all. Told 5 days off 10 on when hired. Then never happens. Family torn apart by this.

Advice to Management

Care about the employees that make you money. There are too many families being broke apart because of your day off policies. Very unfair and uncaring company

r m operator

Current Employee - R M Tech
    Current Employee - R M Tech

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

tere are no best reasons ,this year mgt has decided that the lowest paid people in the company will recieve no bonus ,at baker we have to work 50 to 60 hours a week to make the industry standard

Cons

poor mgt ,the middle mgt at baker is terrible ,the top mgt will each receive millions in bonuses this year ,while the real workers will get nothing

Advice to Management

you have run this company in the ground,do the right thing take responsability and do not accept your bounuses either

Showing 1,023 of 1,090 reviews