Baker Hughes Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
3.5

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead
Martin Craighead

Pros
  • Company takes very good care of employees, offering excellent benefits and a good work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Good benefits pay could be better, oppurtunities good and work with a good team (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance as there is little regard for employees (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management is doesn't understand the impact of their decisions (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

Current Employee - BDM
    Current Employee - BDM

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

good salary, used to train me

Cons

poor managments, specially in Oman, no fear people

build leader and take care of ur national people

Not a good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunbar, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunbar, WV

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

competitive wages, benefits, holiday pay, chances for advancement if you're into brown nosing, newer equipment, some nice supervisors and field guys

Cons

merged with BJ services in Nov 2011, took over in Jan 2012 and laid off all BJ legacy employees May 1, 2012
    a very deceitful company
    layoffs without any notice
    zero respect for their employees even when employees are compliant with all demands.
    employees sacrificed the ultimate by leaving their families for weeks at a time and BHI thanked them by laying them off with no warnings.
    lowest company morals and values than any other company in the gas/oil industry
    about the $$$$ instead of their employees
    no communications with employeess by senior management
    severance package is a joke

get some morals and have respect for your employees. you seem to forget that they are what keep your company running. Stop wrecking lives by over hiring and then laying off.

DNA for poor practices

Former Employee - International Human Resources
    Former Employee - International Human Resources

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

I felt they worked too hard to avoid being a responsible employer by side stepping the Warn Act deliberately by running severance programs just a hair under the number that required providing notice to employees. When they decide to cut staff, they walk in, tell you the bad news, and then immediately walk you out. You're off the payroll that very day. Terrible treatment.

Cons

No teamwork. No sharing of information, collaboration, or other ways to identify areas of improvement. At BHI, businesses work in silos, but individuals do too. I was part of a large discipline, but we never had team meetings, we never shared ideas or explored areas of overlap or duplication. When you join conference calls, instead of everyone in your office joining a call together, everyone calls from their own offices. Very strange environment.

Have a conscience for your people. Earn a reputation for being a fair and reasonable employer. You earned the reputation you have as a disloyal and unpredictable employer.

The company lost direction when it went to a geomarket system and has never found it.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

The company is "younging' its workforce.
    Good benefits package.
    Excellent Technology Centres.

Cons

Senior management completely out of touch with workforce.
    Morale very low amongst workforce and lack of direction from senior management reinforces this.
    Company always first to lay-off people and the last to start hiring.
    Company happy to be number three in all it does.
    Company is CAPEX averse.

Create a clear vision of where the company is headed and convey this to the workforce.

No reward or recognition for performance, lousy leadership.

Current Employee - Senior IT Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior IT Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Relative freedom to define job and responsibilities, some interesting technical challenges. Good pension plan, ok medical and dental benefits. One of the big three oilfield service companies, so mobility and career possibilities are not bad.

Cons

Dysfunctional organization structure within the IT organization makes it very difficult to get anything done, and it requires a very large effort to get things moving. IT management's leadership style is autocratic. Some of the processes are archaic.

There is a plethora of tools, but little in the way of knowledge or training for using them properly. Reduce the number of tools, and get the best ones implemented properly. The HR tools for appraisals and job requisitions are the worst I have seen. The 3 IT groups involved in every project step on each other's toes, and hinder rather than help.

Expect no reward for your hard work.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Big company with many options for career development, as long as you don't have family, friends or life out of the office

Cons

Complete disregard for employees personal life, you are required to work around the clock to meet ever changing deadlines and requirements with little or no recognition.

Don't bother.

Horrible place to work, most political company you would ever work.

Former Employee - Repair & Maintenance Tech I in Broussard, LA
    Former Employee - Repair & Maintenance Tech I in Broussard, LA

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

The pay is good and the benifits are really good. If you also like to travel the world this is a good place to go to.

Cons

Employees were very rude and obnoxious. The supervisor knew nothing about the tools or equipment that were in his area. How he ever became a supervisor is a wonder. He also showed heavy favrotisim toward the employees that would go do chores, fish, hunt, or hang out with him after work. Never would write them up for coming in late, standing around talking to each other doing nothing, talking on their phones. He also would get his favorite employees to spy on me while I worked and report to him anything I did. Everything I did was critisized from my walking paste, my clothes being dirty and greaey (Im a mechanic stupid!) , even my facebook was stalked and was said to be unprofessional. Their computer programs were also very hard to understand and keep up with as they would change everything constantly. I was let go for so say poor work performance when I had better applied hours than most of the other employees. Working here was the worst 9 months of my life!!!!!! NEVER WORK HERE!!!!!

Hire better supervisors who actually know what their doing andare fair to ever employee.

Going down hill

Current Employee - Facilities Manager
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Benefits, co workers are good.

Cons

Management support. Management Turnover. Poorupper managemnt.

Put mid-level managers in place that have a clue. Cpmensate employees fairly. Don't require low level supervisors to do the work of upper management with proper grade and job promotions.

Micromanagment, special treatment all over !!!

Current Employee - IT Services in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Services in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Pay is good, can't think of any other pro

Cons

Micromanagement is bad, mananers treat employees like children... special treatment. The only way to advance is to kiss *ss all day everyday.

New leadership is needed quick !!!

The people representing the company at the top have no heart and do not care about you as an individual.

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

Flexible hours. Team very productive. Benefits are awesome.

Cons

Do not have any health issues or you will be mandated to take STD and terminated because you are on STD which in turn causes further complications medically. Do not trust management. There is a smile in your face and stab you in your back mentality.

When health issues arise, provide options by thinking outside of the box in collaboration with the employee, realize this is the 21st century and many positions can perform outside of the "office" so long as there is access to the internet and ability to VPN to the intranet, it can be BAU.