Baker Hughes Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.5

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead
Martin Craighead

Pros
  • Depending on superior, work life balance is reasonable (in 19 reviews)

• Long standing oil tools company with good benefits (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance as there is little regard for employees (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management is doesn't understand the impact of their decisions (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Oil and Gas Industry
    - Medical Benefits
    - sign on bonus
    - Employee stock purchase program

Cons

- Poor performance management , favoritism, unskilled employees
    - Below average pay , no opportunity for growth
    - Toxic and un ethical behavior
    - Managers do not care, very frequent lay offs
    - Products have old very old very very old
    - the culture is going away ... lots of good talent going outside... the oldies are in the company and bringing it down

- learn to change, promote within the company

No company direction!

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Baker Hughes as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with. Most of them are very nice. There are a few backstabbers just like anywhere else.

Cons

No management direction at all. They never make any kind of decisions. The inmates run the ship. They are too worried about everyone being happy as opposed to making the hard choices to make the company money.

Learn to lead!!

Poor use of resources

Former Employee - Welder  in  Williston, ND
    Former Employee - Welder in Williston, ND

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay if you wish to trade your personal life for a dollar.

Cons

Management does not plan work load well. Way to much work and work load placed upon individuals. Having been in the welding department, their where many 24-30 hour days. I know now why when I went to work there my friends said my wife would be a "Baker widow" ! I quit after 3 years, just could not take the stress from management changes, work load and tool hands changing plans mid-job.

Plan your jobs better and make the ops coordinators accountable for getting information to the welders in a timely manor. You can't just spit a 5 7/8 shoe with a 4 3/4 i.d. on a moments notice !! Jobs take planning and time. The N.L.R.B. has guide lines for a reason !!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of stability

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Exposure and involvement in many short and long-term projects. Fellow coworkers are pleasant to work with.

Cons

Constant change that doesn't make any of the processes any more efficient for customer or developer(speaking from the IT environment). Because environment is constantly changing there is no stability and lack of knowledge about the business process. Work-life balance is not good. My group, for the most part, were working during their 'vacations', holidays and most weekends of the month due constant juggling of project priorities as determined by upper management. As is the case with some other companies, IT group is asked constantly to do more with less. But upper management should be at least filtering when the workload is near maximum capacity.

Upper Management should be listening to both the IT group and customers for scope and capacity of projects. Projects should not be shoved down the throat of IT group and simply say this has to be completed within a particular time frame. When it is apparent to the group that this time frame is only to help members of upper management meet yearly objectives/goals.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've given myself 18 months to observe and form my opinion and I find that this has been one of the most productive work environment that I've ever worked in. I find that most (about 75%) Managers, Directors and Team Members seem to honestly have confidence in your ability, appreciate your talent and allow you the creativity and imagination to do what you do best. While there are processes in place, you're allowed to modify and adjust how you perform if it improves your productivity and is within policy. The environment is not rigid and regimented and brainstorming sessions and new ideas are welcomed. They believe strongly in education, learning and training and encourage you to advance your personal development and to form a career path.

Cons

The exact opposite of my pro is my con. The other 25% of employees that you encounter, mainly upper management, treat you as if you're nonexistent. They vaguely know who you are (and still a few don't), and they have no idea of what your contribute is to their team. Personally, most of the time this is fine because many times anonymity and the lack of interruptions allow you to focus more intently on your work and produce so much more.

While there are rewards, recognition, great compensation and an environment that promotes learning, acknowledging a team member as existent and sometimes just a "good morning" is more than enough to promote comradery and a feeling that your contributions are a necessary part of operations

This company is not getting rid of noncore specialty chemical businesses fast enough.

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

401 k is acceptable, their individual contribution to each employee retirement account is good.

Cons

Having to work with incompetent and totally unqualified personnel who are hurting overall stock performance.

Do not be taken in by incompetent personnel who lie about potential growth in emerging chemical markets like Latin America. Their powerpoint presentations are full of photos and not hard facts. These people are taking advantage of a company that needs to focus totally on core oil services businesses and not produce raw materials for plastic cups, cosmetic lipsticks, inks, paints, etc.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for less than a year

Pros

they pay well and have good benefits

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of

Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Field Engineer III  in  Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Field Engineer III in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good pay, friendly co-workers, excellent training program

Cons

office politics, some times work long hours

Good place to work

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time

Pros

Very good company, excellent benefits. Plenty of opportunities.

Cons

Upper management is doesn't understand the impact of their decisions.

my take

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benifits and overtime. Great atmosphere people are friendly. And always asteady flow of work.

Cons

No real training program for new employees. Just OJT from some dude that's been there over 10 years and if he is not up to the task of training good luck.

Better Training Program for new hires.

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!