Baker Hughes

Updated January 30, 2015
3.6

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead
Martin Craighead

Pros
  • Work /Life Balance - flexible hours, remote access from home when ill (in 22 reviews)

• Good benefits pay could be better, oppurtunities good and work with a good team (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance as there is little regard for employees (in 20 reviews)

• Upper management is doesn't understand the impact of their decisions (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Expect no reward for your hard work.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Big company with many options for career development, as long as you don't have family, friends or life out of the office

Cons

Complete disregard for employees personal life, you are required to work around the clock to meet ever changing deadlines and requirements with little or no recognition.

Don't bother.

Horrible place to work, most political company you would ever work.

Former Employee - Repair & Maintenance Tech I in Broussard, LA
    Former Employee - Repair & Maintenance Tech I in Broussard, LA

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

The pay is good and the benifits are really good. If you also like to travel the world this is a good place to go to.

Cons

Employees were very rude and obnoxious. The supervisor knew nothing about the tools or equipment that were in his area. How he ever became a supervisor is a wonder. He also showed heavy favrotisim toward the employees that would go do chores, fish, hunt, or hang out with him after work. Never would write them up for coming in late, standing around talking to each other doing nothing, talking on their phones. He also would get his favorite employees to spy on me while I worked and report to him anything I did. Everything I did was critisized from my walking paste, my clothes being dirty and greaey (Im a mechanic stupid!) , even my facebook was stalked and was said to be unprofessional. Their computer programs were also very hard to understand and keep up with as they would change everything constantly. I was let go for so say poor work performance when I had better applied hours than most of the other employees. Working here was the worst 9 months of my life!!!!!! NEVER WORK HERE!!!!!

Hire better supervisors who actually know what their doing andare fair to ever employee.

Going down hill

Current Employee - Facilities Manager
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Benefits, co workers are good.

Cons

Management support. Management Turnover. Poorupper managemnt.

Put mid-level managers in place that have a clue. Cpmensate employees fairly. Don't require low level supervisors to do the work of upper management with proper grade and job promotions.

Micromanagment, special treatment all over !!!

Current Employee - IT Services in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Services in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Pay is good, can't think of any other pro

Cons

Micromanagement is bad, mananers treat employees like children... special treatment. The only way to advance is to kiss *ss all day everyday.

New leadership is needed quick !!!

The people representing the company at the top have no heart and do not care about you as an individual.

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

Flexible hours. Team very productive. Benefits are awesome.

Cons

Do not have any health issues or you will be mandated to take STD and terminated because you are on STD which in turn causes further complications medically. Do not trust management. There is a smile in your face and stab you in your back mentality.

When health issues arise, provide options by thinking outside of the box in collaboration with the employee, realize this is the 21st century and many positions can perform outside of the "office" so long as there is access to the internet and ability to VPN to the intranet, it can be BAU.

Look into other companies

Current Employee - Equipment Operator
    Current Employee - Equipment Operator

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

The people that work next to you are good people to work with. Training is top in its class and safety is priority

Cons

With out being bias I would say don't trust your coworkers and the pay is really low. They might tell ya you will make a lot of money but they are on the road to giving 40 hours at a low wage. Just keep this in mind.

Let the ambitious green hats grow and if white hats want to slack, let the green hat lead the way.

Looking to Escape BHI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Benefits
    Enjoy my line of work
    The possiblitity of this being a great company (again). Not on my watch.

Cons

Employee morale is: "Whatever it takes to make me look good" attitude.
    It's not what you know, it's who you know..... Opinion's are golden, and facts are not.
    Cut throat work environment. There are too many chief's and not enough indians or you have your "Self Appointed Chief's", whose only purpose is to look good to upper management while your low man on the todium pole does all the work without the credit. There is no direction or vision.
    The constant organizational changes are running havoc throughout the company.
    Hard work and dedication are not key points they are looking for in an employee.

The culture issue should be reviewed and addressed (immediately) by upper management/hr all the way down the corporate ladder in order to establish change. Need to re-establish job responsibilities and communicate changes to your employees. Department processes and procedures are a must. Departments are too disconnected from other departments. This could be a great company again, for the sake of your remaining employees, I hope it is soon.

Managers just do what makes them happy! Dont matter how execellent employee you are!.

Current Employee - Just Worked There in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Just Worked There in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Company benefits package thats the only good thing about them.

Cons

Managers, leads they dont care how good you are as an employee.They just want to satisfied themselves. HR will never listen to employees but they will to managers only.

HR needs to be there for the employees too.

Trending downward.....................

Former Employee - Mechanical Manufacturing Equipment Master I in Claremore, OK
    Former Employee - Mechanical Manufacturing Equipment Master I in Claremore, OK

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

This job supported my family for 13 years, and I did take advantage of educational reimbursement to obtain a degree. I was also able to gain many new skills which I am now putting to use for a new employer who appreciates my quality of work and work ethic.

Cons

For a greater part of my 13 years with Baker Hughes, I was able to grow tremendously, including obtaining a degree, as well as many skills. Although I showed great initiative, ingenuity, and dedication, as well as receiving top marks in all my evaluations, I found myself virtually in the same spot at the end of my career with Baker as in the beginning. I was denied the few opportunities to advance that presented themselves, and was even told by my supervisor and my HR representative that I was stuck in a dead-end career with Baker. I did, however, watch other individuals who refused to complete previously agreed upon educational requirements for obtaining higher positions advance repeatedly. At Baker Hughes, it's not what you know BUT.................

Senior management is too busy giving eachother new titles and playing the "reorganization" game to worry about the day-to-day problems that are costing them talent where the money is ACTUALLY BEING MADE. Lower tier managers are too busy patting each other on the back or screwing eachother over to worry about who is ACTUALLY doing the work that PAYS THEM. All-in-all, any advice would be wasted on the deaf ears of these small-minded jackwagons! Thanks for the education and the great opportunities it has opened up for me AT MY NEW EMPLOYMENT :P

Consider Baker a Temp. Job.

Current Employee - Senior Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Field Engineer

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Baker is a good place to get started in the business. Do not make the mistake of thinking you will have a career with them. Keep your debts. down. Management fires employees at will.

Cons

Horrible management. Poor equipment. This is not the Baker Hughes of the old days. Management is not trained at all. They follow the "Good Ole Boy" code to the letter. Stay away if you can. They have very few long term employees left. This is not a career job, you are temporary help at best to Baker.

Get the "management for dummies" guide book.