Baker Hughes Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
820 reviews filtered by

The IT department is an absolute disaster.

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Most people are friendly and fun to work with.

Cons

Baker Hughes used to be a great, employee centered, place to work. It has turned away from that and currently has no loyalty or respect for employees.

The IT department is an absolute disaster. The CIO is clueless and is more concerned with building his resume than with actually providing the business with what they need/want.

IT is in a constant state of reorg and a constant state of workforce reduction. It's over budget and the only way they know how to reduce expense is to lay people off. They have eliminated, or lost, most people who have any knowledge and expect the remaining few to quickly pick up everything. They are outsourcing most new development. After a big push, 3 years ago, to get rid of 'shadow IT' groups within the business, many parts of the business are once again starting to do their own development, because IT will not / cannot give them what they need.

Fire the CIO. Stop treating employees like a number. Learn the value of retaining knowledgeable employees.

Baker Hughes is the worst company ever !

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes (more than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, thats about it.

Cons

Where do I begin ! When I started working for Baker I thought it would be a good experience, but NO it is not. Nobody seems to know what there doing around. When I ask about how or why this is, it's like I get a blank stare. It's clearly the fact that people are in positions that they don't even qualify. I would think that if you call yourself a Specialist or Technologist then you need to know your stuff, you would think. It's all about who you know and who your "screwing".
    Also at some of there facilities, employees sometimes get to involved with each other, I mean "PERSONALLY" involved with each other. I don't have a problem with that as long as it is kept outside the work place & work load. Co-workers flirting with each to get more work is flat out wrong and not fair to the other workers who are working hard too.
    Not only that I see that it is a racist and sexist company as well. They take one look at you and think that you don't measure up or not smart enough. And if you are smart and have experience and are doing a good job then they consider you a threat to their position.
    Thats just some of what I have experience here at Baker Hughes, but hopefully I pray it gets better.

Get new management !
    Hire people that are actually qualified to do the job !
    Keep politics out of the work place !
    Training needs to be increased !
    Stop being so judgemental and let people to there jobs !

8+ years experience with Baker Hughes as Wireline Field Engineer

Former Employee - Field Engineer III in Jakarta (Indonesia)
    Former Employee - Field Engineer III in Jakarta (Indonesia)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Travel a lot, exposed to new location, new people, new cultures. International experience

Cons

Nature of work becoming routine and boring. No rewards on the achievement, but punishment on the mistake.

Please be attention to your front line money maker....make them comfortable and respect them!

5. No Career Opportunities

Current Employee - Surface Logging in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Surface Logging in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Field staff on the whole are a great bunch of people.

Cons

Management choose to provide no career opportunities and so dissatisfaction is rife and the company loses most field staff within a couple of years. This causes a lack of experience in the teams and a fall in the standard of service.

Provide career opportunities

Not a place for women unless you are in Calgary

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- OK benefits
    - OK salaries
    - Good people but upper management don't appreciate you unless you are a man, have a degree and play hockey.

Cons

Over worked and underappreciated.
    If you are a women do not work for them.....

7. Good

Current Employee - BDM
    Current Employee - BDM

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

good salary, used to train me

Cons

poor managments, specially in Oman, no fear people

build leader and take care of ur national people

Not a good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunbar, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunbar, WV

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

competitive wages, benefits, holiday pay, chances for advancement if you're into brown nosing, newer equipment, some nice supervisors and field guys

Cons

merged with BJ services in Nov 2011, took over in Jan 2012 and laid off all BJ legacy employees May 1, 2012
    a very deceitful company
    layoffs without any notice
    zero respect for their employees even when employees are compliant with all demands.
    employees sacrificed the ultimate by leaving their families for weeks at a time and BHI thanked them by laying them off with no warnings.
    lowest company morals and values than any other company in the gas/oil industry
    about the $$$$ instead of their employees
    no communications with employeess by senior management
    severance package is a joke

get some morals and have respect for your employees. you seem to forget that they are what keep your company running. Stop wrecking lives by over hiring and then laying off.

9. DNA for poor practices

Former Employee - International Human Resources
    Former Employee - International Human Resources

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

I felt they worked too hard to avoid being a responsible employer by side stepping the Warn Act deliberately by running severance programs just a hair under the number that required providing notice to employees. When they decide to cut staff, they walk in, tell you the bad news, and then immediately walk you out. You're off the payroll that very day. Terrible treatment.

Cons

No teamwork. No sharing of information, collaboration, or other ways to identify areas of improvement. At BHI, businesses work in silos, but individuals do too. I was part of a large discipline, but we never had team meetings, we never shared ideas or explored areas of overlap or duplication. When you join conference calls, instead of everyone in your office joining a call together, everyone calls from their own offices. Very strange environment.

Have a conscience for your people. Earn a reputation for being a fair and reasonable employer. You earned the reputation you have as a disloyal and unpredictable employer.

The company lost direction when it went to a geomarket system and has never found it.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

The company is "younging' its workforce.
    Good benefits package.
    Excellent Technology Centres.

Cons

Senior management completely out of touch with workforce.
    Morale very low amongst workforce and lack of direction from senior management reinforces this.
    Company always first to lay-off people and the last to start hiring.
    Company happy to be number three in all it does.
    Company is CAPEX averse.

Create a clear vision of where the company is headed and convey this to the workforce.

No reward or recognition for performance, lousy leadership.

Current Employee - Senior IT Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior IT Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Relative freedom to define job and responsibilities, some interesting technical challenges. Good pension plan, ok medical and dental benefits. One of the big three oilfield service companies, so mobility and career possibilities are not bad.

Cons

Dysfunctional organization structure within the IT organization makes it very difficult to get anything done, and it requires a very large effort to get things moving. IT management's leadership style is autocratic. Some of the processes are archaic.

There is a plethora of tools, but little in the way of knowledge or training for using them properly. Reduce the number of tools, and get the best ones implemented properly. The HR tools for appraisals and job requisitions are the worst I have seen. The 3 IT groups involved in every project step on each other's toes, and hinder rather than help.