Baker Hughes

Baker Hughes Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead

Martin Craighead

Pros
  • Depending on superior, work life balance is reasonable (in 19 reviews)

• Long standing oil tools company with good benefits (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance as there is little regard for employees (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management is doesn't understand the impact of their decisions (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work but in a slope of decline

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWorldwide opportunities, pension, great employees

ConsExecutive management constant changes taking a toll. Its a $30B company and they cant seem to make up their minds on how to even structure their businesses. No communication, "HC reduction initiative" first goto solution to all problems. Slb and hal nowhere near goes thru all the termoil baker drags its employees thru.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccountability is lacking with sr level leaders. Organization is losing a lot of good "hi pots" due to constant change and lack of communication. Fix it.

constant change

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosthere are lots of smart people, they have great benefits/salary, and many people stay with the company for a very long time.

ConsThere are constant changes in organizations, management, policies, etc. These make it hard to keep up and make it seem like you are often spinning your wheels.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a strategy and go with it. Give it time to succeed or fail before changing everything. Also it would be helpful if leaders would stay in their same jobs longer. Everyone is so concerned with reaching the next "step" or level in their career that they don't consider the effect their moving around has on the organizations they are leading.

A great place to work

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPlenty of growth opportunities and training opportunities. Engage and you can go far.

ConsLarge corporation. Sluggish to adapt to change. Communication is slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication to employees is key. To many times employees are left in the dark. Makes for a stressful work life when people are being downsized.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

ProsWork life balance, compensation is on par with market, long term flexibility in locations, international opportunities

ConsNot much empowerment to enforce decisions, lots of hand holding needed to move projects along.

Nice

MWD Field Engineer (Current Employee) Chorro, CA

ProsGood friends, best buddies, let's go

ConsLow Monies but great fun

Advice to Senior ManagementBreathe in and relax

Ship and receive all incoming casting material. checked in and did Quality Assurance w/material.

Material Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI would use my skills and abilities to get the job done. I have a lot of experiences in logistics and expediting for quality assurance.

ConsI worked for Baker Hughes for many years and would like to use my skills working for you and your company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBaker Hughes was a great place To work and I miss it a lot.

supply chain transformation is a mess, new management has no knowledge of the business, only changing processes.

Inventory Planner (Current Employee)

ProsUsed to be a great company to work for before the merger and transformation.
    Good benefits
    Convenient location

ConsMicro-Managers, not flexible on time schedules, want to control every move of day to day activities. No company morale, no incentive, motivation or loyalty to retain good employees with valuable experience and knowledge. Everyone is equal and no one is valuable. Measurements are based on strict processes regaurdless of the outcome. Departments have been solo'd and no longer work together as a team.

It is a good place to work, but the payroll becomes less and less competitive

PDC Designer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsTop service company
    Work-life balance
    Chance to have international assignment

ConsInsecured job sometimes
    Not competitive package, need to play game with HR to have better package

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed be more competitive in job market

Training and Development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay with great benefits. Nice new facilities. Company laptop and iphone provided. Great work life balance.

ConsTypical big corporation, you are a resource and a person. Constant restructuring. Departments do not know each other, crazy duplication of work. Cubes for worker and offices for management to do nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit hiring outside people for management. Promote from within.

Awesome (Pay, Benefits, Retirement)

Directional Driller (Current Employee) Casper, WY

ProsThey compensate you very well as a directional driller. Retirement benefits for employees is great. They match 7%-14% of 401k contributions depending on age, provide a stock discount of 15% up to $10,000 a year, and provide a pension plan. Coordinators are all pretty awesome but the coordinator turnover is high, perhaps the good ones aren't making enough.

ConsThe pension plan invests in government bonds only. I would prefer they diversified their pension into other low risk investment classes but its not an option. A trainer and a recruiter once told me my career opportunities were limited at Baker Hughes because I wasn't in the Field Engineer program. I feel a little disappointed that people in their positions are so discouraging to their employees ambitions.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow all employees to compete for positions based on their resume qualifications as well as their experience. Don't let a specific, narrow, class of job titles trump better qualified individuals. Furthermore, there are a lot of non US citizen employees working for the company. Perhaps they need to look at more of the local communities and universities to hire people that want to stay in the North Dakota area as opposed to selectively flying people in from other countries and paying them an arm and a leg.

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!