Baker Hughes

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead

Martin Craighead

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent company

Field Engineer (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Baker Hughes as an intern for more than a year

ProsExcellent quality facilaties hotels and the candidates are really good

Consnothing is very bad and honestly makes nothing makes me worried about the future of the company

Working as Wireline Field Engineer

Wireline Field Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

ProsYou learn a lot about tool operations (mechanical and mostly electrical/electronic).
Huge Exposures to managing people as a crew leader at the field. You also learn to manage issues and remain calm under pressure.
You can become totally developed within a short period of time, depending on your drive to succeed and how much of a fit you are in the role.

ConsYou have to learn to get your hands dirty... and be ready to take responsibility for the mistakes of others. Most times you are stretched beyond limits.. but you'll be fine.
You must pass the logging school to remain on the job

Good company, but not enough development of young talent

Lab Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

ProsSolid company, good benefits, great facilities. If anything was required for my job I rarely had any trouble getting it. They were good with allowing holidays and supporting me with day to day problems. Not too much paperwork cluttering up my work schedule either. I had a lot of autonomy and therefore control over my working day.

ConsStaff training was limited and the company was reluctant to allow me to move into different roles. This meant I got bored staying in the same job too long and left to join a company that would allow me to develop.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful that your managers are not using old fashioned management techniques. Communication from the higher level managers was poor. Identify staff who are interested in moving within the company and allow them to develop and change roles.

International Company

I have been working at Baker Hughes

ProsLots of International travel expected

ConsHard working culture of work in company

Baker need to invest in personnel and equipment to stay competative, raise the salaries to be in line with competators

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time

ProsGreat field personnel to work with

ConsTaking too many contractors instead of full time personnel

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key as is the balance of home and work.

Baker Hughes Logging Geologist, Aberdeen

Logging Geologist (Current Employee)
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

ProsPays better than any other mud logging company.
Very large company with benefits such as health care + pension contributions.
On the whole my co workers are decent people who help out when you are new and easy to get along with a work with.
Logistics have been kind to me and allowed me to have time off for short notice events, even if i haven't declared it as a holiday. However I know others have not been do lucky.

ConsSome people clearly are not competent and have risen to higher and more responsible jobs on time at the company alone.
Morale is generally low, especially with the more experienced data engineers.
Time on and off is not 2 weeks, there is no structure to time off. It is as and when. Management expect you to sit by your phone and wait for the call. You get 33 days a year holiday and even that can be touched if management has "no one else available". As a result, in this job you cannot really plan your life, or the little life you do get is planned around work.
There does not seem to be any feedback to the SLS managers/coordinators about our performances offshore. It is as if we are just numbers filling spaces and if you get asked not to return to one rig, you will be sent to another one and nothing is done to address why you have been dismissed from a job in the first place.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage in regular feedback with geologist/company man on rig to hear how the mud logging team is performing.
Hire enough staff so every job has regular rotation. Being able to plan your social calendar will improve morale no end.

Good place to start your career and probably nothing more

Senior Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood company to start your career

ConsEmployee retention is getting poorer each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's only a matter of time before BH loses its better employees to competitors, there is so much drive to listen to employees views but usually no action is usually taken.

Wonderful place to start a career

I have been working at Baker Hughes part-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat learning oppurtunitys from the start

ConsNever know what's going on

Advice to Senior ManagementMore employee feedback

Very demanding, little recognition

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIn all fairness, normally pay is high and compensates demand and complexity of the organisation. Good career opportunities (especially abroad and/or Field). Clear policies. Very good internal systems and IT applications. Very global and multicultural.

ConsComplex organisation. Impersonal. Appalling decision making (process takes so long the decision becomes obsolete and you have to start all over again, which is so frustrating). No recognition - it is not only about pay (which is okay but it is not always the case). Getting 0 merit increases globally has happened. Many employees are required to travel and that could harm their personal life - management do not care. Being in a very global and multicultural organisation also means you get phone calls during your weekends from Arabic countries or have to resolve issues urgently, or have conference calls late in the evening (depending on the time zones). So, in a nutshell, some (or maybe... many) positions do not have your classic 9 to 5 schedule, but that is not even deemed important.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome decisions must be made quickly. Recognise the involvement and dedication.

Good place to grow and learn, but it's a big company getting bigger & they don't take care of people

Senior Applications Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent training, opportunities to move worldwide and into different product lines to diversify experience.

ConsIt's a big company with a lot of reorganization and inflating corporate structure. I saw tremendous turnover in my 5 years with BHI. High attrition is, in part, due to not taking care of people - not staying competitive with industry salaries, and organizational instability.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your greatest asset - your people. The bleeding will never stop otherwise & you'll be left with inexperience and the mediocrity that goes along with it.

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baker Hughes reviews and ratings in United Kingdom — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Baker Hughes CEO Martin Craighead. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Baker Hughes employees.