Baker Tilly Virchow Krause

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause Reviews in Chicago, IL

3.5

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause Chairman & CEO Tim Christen
Tim Christen

Pros
  • They provide flexibility for better work/life balance than I've seen elsewhere (in 7 reviews)

• I have met some great people here (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, similar to any other public accounting firm (in 8 reviews)

• Forget work/life balance; if you aren't emailing at 10:00 PM or later you are considered lazy (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Wonderful and Talented People, Variety of Experiences

Cons

Understaffed, Sometimes Disorganized, very weak at middle management level

Management focused too closely on quantitative data like charge hours and not at all on qualitative data like customer satisfaction, SWOT, employee morale, etc.

Exciting

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Allowed to work on various different projects, which provides tremendous exposure to employees.
    - Relaxed atmosphere
    - Opportunities for advancement are plentiful
    - Growing firm
    - Partners are easily approachable

Cons

- Wasn't in the office long enough to experience many
    - Structure unorganized at times
    - Lack of motivation at times

- Continue to build relationships with younger staff members
    - More interaction between senior managers and staff accountants/interns

Consulting - Role, Project and Opportunity Was Grossly Miss-represented

Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Energetic and positive young consulting team.

Cons

The role and opportunity explained during the recruiting process did not match up with the actual work.. Then after you start, there is little to no communication from senior management. I wish I had turned down the offer and stayed with a large firm because the opportunity was not the current state but the 'wishful' to-be state. Take my advice, if you are an experienced hire and come from a larger company, leadership may fudge the truth so you accept. Be warned because I wish I was..

Be honest about the current state and not paint the 15 year vision as the current state.

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- friendly environment
    - work/life balance

Cons

- poor communication from upper management

Many challenging projects. Some good people. Surprisingly high turnover.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities to work with people from different teams. Fairly easy to get your work on display to senior management. There are a few awesome people. Generous PTO and fair pay.

Cons

People are very clicky and our office is not very social. Definitely have to adhere to strict preferences of your manager or managers, and it definitely isn't an atmosphere based on independent thinking and creativity. Practices towards towards social media are antiquated and stifling--doesn't have a FB presence, and blocks FB in the office. Mentoring program is a good idea but not structured well. Surprisingly high turnover. In the past 6 months, at least 9 senior level people left. Also, not very transparent or consistent messaging when people do leave--sometimes there are announcements sometimes not. I'm alao convinced that they need to retrain the performance counselors, as I've witnessed inconsistent approaches to feedback. Culture can definitely definitely be described as stuffy and political--a winning combination.

Take a more progressive approach to social media. Also, inspire creativity, dont stifle it. Need to coach performance counselors on how to give positive and negative opinions of their subordinate's work. Both criticism and praise are important to growth and development.
    Provide transparent communication to employees.

I finally feel like I am at a company where I can stay put and grow.

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause

Pros

The partner I work with has been very thoughtful in helping me to set goals and achieve them. Early on she fought for a raise for me to thank me for the additional effort I had been putting out. They seem very willing to create an environment that is somewhat autonomous while setting you up for future success. For the first time ever, I feel like I am at a company where they want to invest in me for the long-term, not just bide the time until the next job comes along.

In general the benefits are great. I love the amount of PTO you receive. Considering I am not someone that takes sick leave generally, it is great to have large amounts of time available to me. And, you get to carry over 2 weeks. They really seem to care about their employees and tailor programs which demonstrate that.

Cons

Some of the benefits are just so-so. My health insurance, while largely paid by my employer, is a pain to deal with. The hoops you have to jump through in order to get things covered are amazing. I was spoiled by BCBS. Not a big fan of United Health Care.

I think it is hard for some employees to find their way around the company. There are some that are relatively siloed in the offices and if you don't seek out interaction with others, no opportunities are provided for you.

Most learning development is geared towards accountants - it leaves off a large chunk of employees.

Don't forget the non-accounting staff. Create opportunities for interaction among staff.

Fast growing company with plenty of opportunities.

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause

Pros

- Industry-leading clients
    - Challenging, meaningful projects
    - Bright people
    - Benefits package and paid time off (~5wks)
    - Seasoned managers with impressive resumes
    - Organic growth (and some acquisition-based growth)

Cons

- High turnover within consulting group
    - Insular business units (between tax, audit, and consulting)
    - Limited brand equity within the U.S.

- Be more transparent, deliberate with strategic vision
    - Don't sacrifice strategy/ops projects for ERP system implementations
    - Stop changing group names so frequently

Not up to Industry Standards

Former Employee - Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Accountant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause

Pros

The Company has some good people that work at the staff level that make it an okay place to work.

Cons

The Company grew too fast and seems to have got them in trouble. They are trying to do too much. The company is also very top heavy, more managers than staff.

Need to focus more on the clients and not worry so much about growth and compensation for themselves. Have very bright staff but the talent seems to be wasted.

Baker Tilly Virchow Krause Photos