Baker & Hostetler

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Kestner

Nice work environment. Great people.

Associate (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsDecent work-life balance for larger law firm.

ConsAbsence of mentoring opportunities/focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A.

Great benefits and room for promotions

File Clerk (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThey will work with you on your salary. Promotions are available. Really good benefits. Can somewhat make your own schedule as long as it is between business hours.

ConsAttorneys can be a bit rude. People love to gossip. Have to be impeccably groomed at all times. File room is a little disorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to your rules, don't flip-flop based upon circumstances.

Great Firm!

Legal Secretary (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat firm to work for. A big firm with a small firm feeling.

ConsWe seem to keep getting more of thee administrative parts of the firms work, i.e., secretaries taking on more of accounting dept work, records, etc. as well as additional attorneys added to our desk.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexibility would be nice.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful Firm, If you don't mind it being your life

Paralegal (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe attorneys and support staff are great and there's a lot of autonomy in the firm. The only thing is that you absolutely mustn't miss a beat! You are given next to everything to make your job as easy as possible. Training on any topic imaginable is offered at every corner, but you have to look out for it. Even though the overtime can be grueling, the OT hours pile up and you get to order in from great restaurants. I worked on some pretty high profile cases, some of which I get to tell my friends about, others I get to say "If I tell you, I'd have to kill you."

ConsAs I mentioned, if you miss a beat, you've screwed everybody. As a paralegal, you are pretty much responsible for the messups of the attorneys, which I came to learn were frequent. As an example, having to go across town to get a filing in before COB (close of business) was always harrying when the attorney would throw it on your desk ten till 5. Depending on the attorney, you might be expected to know everything the first day on the job. My one piece of advice is ask a ton of questions. Even if the attorney looks at you like you're special, it will help you out in the long run. You are responsible for your own hours, but don't wander in the same time as the attorneys or leave when they do. In other words, come in earlier and leave later.

AMazing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEverything, Just a great company

ConsNothing. I would work here forever

Great Experience

Paralegal (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsWonderful, helpful team. Benefits were outstanding.

ConsThere is a compensation ceiling.

Mostly positive experience

ProsGood attorneys. Most people easy to work with.

ConsFocus on individual offices hampers development

Challenging and rewarding legal career in an affordable midwest town.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsLow jerk ratio, national and international clients, at or near the top of the market pay, real potential for advancement, college town.

ConsThere are no professional sports teams (unless you like hockey), never ending highway construction near downtown, is a satellite office.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more transparent regarding firm business.

Very much a plug and chug operation.

Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMarket salary, good bonus, they are doing pretty well financially.

ConsEvasive Partners, typical big law environment, long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more transparency on where someone stands in your organization.

Great Place to Work and learn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGreat staff, very knowledgeable, fairly current edge technology, but not bleeding edge. Management allows for creativity in solving problems when there is space/time

ConsBeing on the support staff can be depressing because the Cleveland office doesn't claim the Firmwide staff... even though you share an office.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do the things you are doing, especially around work/life balance.

Worked for Baker & Hostetler? Contribute to the Community!