Baker & Taylor Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
George Coe

Pros
  • You get free books that no one else wants (in 4 reviews)

• Enjoy working with good people who are passionate about their contributions (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a whole lot of room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management do not treat their employees well unless they favor them (in 5 reviews)

1. A job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Momence, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Momence, IL

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly regular hours. Decent insurance. Super clean parking lot in the winter.

Cons

Problems with temp control in the office area. Production requirements can vary greatly to make some accounts very difficult.

2. Okay company - not great

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time

Pros

- Good managers
    - Team full of great people
    - Reasonable hours (9-5)

Cons

- No promotion unless someone vacates their job (one person has been there for several years without a promotion)
    - We are not offered raises this year and nobody has made an announcement about it (we were supposed to get company-wide raises back in March) - cost of living keeps going up, and yet we are not being compensated in turn
    - Very strict on tuition assistance - you are ONLY offered assistance if you pursue a degree (not even a certificate program), and even then, your assistance is based on the grade you get. I believe 80% is the max, and that's if you get an "A"
    - Needs more employee morale programs, especially with no raise (which is crazy in itself)
    - Medical benefits not great

3. Order Picker/ Lots of work and Low Pay

Current Employee - Order Picker in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Order Picker in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place for working alone without supervision and the other employees are all nice people.

Cons

Where do I begin with the cons here. Well to start do not believe them in the interview process when they tell you it is 10 dollars an hour but you will make more then that because of our incentive program. Its a lie you have to make over a 100% productivity to get incentive pay and only about 2 people in the entire warehouse are doing that at the moment when there is like 50 order pickers right now. It is a lot of work for 10 dollars an hour and you have to meet there 100% productivity within 10 weeks or you will be let go. You have to sign a waiver when you start that says they can let you go if you do not meet this percentage. I have been here for about 4 weeks now and I am pretty good with factory work I have done it a lot in my life but I am only at 84% at the moment, just to hit the 100% you have to run instead of walk and pretty much kill yourself five days a week to meet 100 percent and keep your job that is paying you ten an hour so at most your making 1400 a month to be a marathon runner in a hot factory setting, if you can do anything else ANYTHING for this amount of money per hour I would suggest you do that instead.

Advice to Management

Be able to explain how incentive and productivity works, I have asked upper management on down and not one person can explain to me the scoring system for your days work. One guy picks 20 totes worth of books he gets 150% for the day another guys picks 60 totes worth of books he gets 80% for the day....really? They use to pay 12 an hour for order pickers back in the day now it just seems this is a sneaky way to give you 10 an hour with the false promise of incentive.

5. Business Analyst

Former Employee - Ecommerce Business Systems Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Ecommerce Business Systems Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Baker & Taylor (More than a year)

Pros

Nice group to work with

Cons

Changed my job requirements under my nose

Advice to Management

Know what you want out of a position before you hire for it.

You are a replaceable part

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time

Pros

Great dental benefits. Flexible hours. Some of the lunches they cater are really good. Free parking, Coworkers are very friendly

Cons

Management needs to get its act together. You're treated as a throwaway part. Use it until it burns out and then toss it and get another part. No one feels appreciated for what they do.

Advice to Management

You call yourself a progressive company. I guess that means you recycle paper and people. 6 holidays, no raises, slow earning of PTO do not endear employee loyalty. I watched people required to work weekends and long nights with no "thank you" or anything and when they asked to leave early they were told to use PTO for it. They had 50 hours in that week already and were told to take PTO on a Friday afternoon. And you wonder why people won't stay longer than a year or so.

7. It's a job!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Baker & Taylor (More than 3 years)

Pros

free parking, flexibility, celebrate birthdays, great location,

Cons

lack of advancement; low pay, PTO, low morale, if you're looking to move up the ladder fairly quickly this isn't the place for you

Squeeze you dry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well known company looks good on industry resume.
    Well established, 150+ year old business not likely to be going anywhere.
    Easy location to access.

Cons

No raises this fiscal year.
    Aggressive reach but grossly understaffed, so the pressure is always on.
    Not competitive in compensation.
    Not competitive in personal time off.
    Employee morale is very low, and brain drain has begun.

Advice to Management

Value your worthy employees, or the best of them will be leaving.

9. Just ok

Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with.
    Somewhat flexible schedule.

Cons

No incentive for hard work. No pay raises without a promotion or new position. Salaried employees expected to work a minimum of 10 hours OT a week with no additional compensation. Expected to do our jobs along with the jobs of several other departments.

Advice to Management

Give your people incentives to work. Why would someone want to work hard 50+ hours a week, with the same benefits as someone who works minimum hours and does the minimum required for their jobs?
    Have more accountability - you shouldn't be required to do someone else's job and not get paid for it, when they don't do theirs but still collect a salary.

10. Mixed

Former Employee - Buyer in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Buyer in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Baker & Taylor

Pros

Some of the people were very nice. Salary was fairly competitive.

Cons

Overall depressing environment. Perhaps not surprising considering the challenges in their industry.

Advice to Management

Diversify more. Hire positive, genuinely caring people in upper management. It will trickle down.

11. Unreasonable

I have been working at Baker & Taylor

Pros

If like working overtime a lot then you will like this job depending on the department also they offer benefits but I think they're expensive

Cons

Management is full of favoritism.

The incentive is near to impossible to earn even if you make amazing production you won't get any incentive if you make a certain amount of errors.

PTO is earned but good luck getting a day off you can ask for it and they will just say no.

If you are really good at what you do they make it near to impossible for you to transfer departments..

Weekend overtime is mandatory and they hardly ever warn you ahead of time it's always last minute

No holiday bonuses. No raises.

Advice to Management

Be more reasonable when it comes to incentive. Pay more attention to who you put in charge. And make some sort of arrangement so your employees can have their earned days off. Make more opportunities for your employees to advance and if you can't figure out fair incentive consider raises.

RSS Feed </> Embed