Baker & Taylor Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
George Coe

Pros
  • You get free books that no one else wants (in 4 reviews)

• Enjoy working with good people who are passionate about their contributions (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a whole lot of room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management do not treat their employees well unless they favor them (in 5 reviews)

1. btol

Current Employee - Receiver in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Receiver in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cons

Cut hours during the slow season. Mostly summer time. They tell you one hour before if you're working overtime.

2. Accounts Receivable

Current Employee - Accounts Representative Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Accounts Representative Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Baker & Taylor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Baker -Taylor is a good place to work.

Cons

There are really no cons

3. Great business. Great benefits

Current Employee - Stower in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Stower in Reno, NV

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work Monday-Friday 6am to 2:30pm Paid holidays, paid vacations, insurance, discounts, weekends off.

Not even mediocre

Current Employee - Sales in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours. You can buy books, DVD's and CD's at a discount. The people are great to work with and there are some people in key positions that are very good.

Cons

Be ready to work a lot of overtime if you are salaried. The work is piled on. No work/life balance allowed. Frequently skip yearly raises so you are effectively getting a pay cut. No other raises unless you are promoted into a vacant position. The benefits are poor. Only 6 holidays a year, poor 401k match, and be ready to pay most of your own medical bills. Managers have no management training so your bosses skills may be good or bad. If you have a sales comp plan they will find ways to take back money you have earned.

Advice to Management

You need to stop chasing the latest catastrophe stop managing to spreadsheets and learn how to really manage the business based on the needs of the business and the people.

6. Poor Leadership From the Top Down

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of potential. Close nit group of people that like to have fun.

Cons

There is a lot of disrespect that takes place from management. A lot of gossip and throwing co-workers under the bus to make themselves look good. 95% of the time it's difficult to get the job done because leadership doesn't work well together and are very rarely in sync and I'm talking about Executives, Vice Presidents and Directors. Management can be rude, disrespectful and very unprofessional and many of them and their teams are difficult to work with and unorganized. HR is best friends with most managers so we all know better than to open up to them. Staff is quitting left and right and management isn't showing any concern or desire to make changes. On my team alone, 5 people have quit in less than 7 months.

Advice to Management

Leadership should be better examples and mentors. But that could only happen with a complete wipe out and replace with new faces & better management skills. Focus on the employee. Create activities to engage us and it doesn't take money; it takes real concern and creativity! But, hopefully I'm not around much longer to see if this happens or not.

They don't care.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Pay a little below market. Work life balance was ok most of the time. That is all for the pros. This is the worst company I've worked for so far. I've worked at 4 different companies and I've always stayed at the company for at least 3 years except for this one. I left Baker & Taylor in a year.

Cons

The manager for the team that I was on was terrible. No people skills and no management skills. Half of the development team left in a 4 month span. Upper management does not want to fix the problem even though they know what the problem is. This is the second time that more than half the team has left under this manager. Many people have complained him to the executives, but zero action was taken. So the only thing that employees could do was to leave. The remaining developers cannot leave because they are on a work visa, otherwise they would have left a long time ago. Benefits are pretty bad for such a large company. Morale is low. The office decor is very depressing.

Advice to Management

The difference between a good company and a bad company is that a good company fixes its problems. Upper management needs to take corrective action when there are issues in the organization.

8. A job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Momence, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Momence, IL

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly regular hours. Decent insurance. Super clean parking lot in the winter.

Cons

Problems with temp control in the office area. Production requirements can vary greatly to make some accounts very difficult.

9. Okay company - not great

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time

Pros

- Good managers - Team full of great people - Reasonable hours (9-5)

Cons

- No promotion unless someone vacates their job (one person has been there for several years without a promotion) - We are not offered raises this year and nobody has made an announcement about it (we were supposed to get company-wide raises back in March) - cost of living keeps going up, and yet we are not being compensated in turn - Very strict on tuition assistance - you are ONLY offered assistance if you pursue a degree (not even a certificate program), and even then, your assistance is based on the grade you get. I believe 80% is the max, and that's if you get an "A" - Needs more employee morale programs, especially with no raise (which is crazy in itself) - Medical benefits not great

10. Order Picker/ Lots of work and Low Pay

Current Employee - Order Picker in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Order Picker in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place for working alone without supervision and the other employees are all nice people.

Cons

Where do I begin with the cons here. Well to start do not believe them in the interview process when they tell you it is 10 dollars an hour but you will make more then that because of our incentive program. Its a lie you have to make over a 100% productivity to get incentive pay and only about 2 people in the entire warehouse are doing that at the moment when there is like 50 order pickers right now. It is a lot of work for 10 dollars an hour and you have to meet there 100% productivity within 10 weeks or you will be let go. You have to sign a waiver when you start that says they can let you go if you do not meet this percentage. I have been here for about 4 weeks now and I am pretty good with factory work I have done it a lot in my life but I am only at 84% at the moment, just to hit the 100% you have to run instead of walk and pretty much kill yourself five days a week to meet 100 percent and keep your job that is paying you ten an hour so at most your making 1400 a month to be a marathon runner in a hot factory setting, if you can do anything else ANYTHING for this amount of money per hour I would suggest you do that instead.

Advice to Management

Be able to explain how incentive and productivity works, I have asked upper management on down and not one person can explain to me the scoring system for your days work. One guy picks 20 totes worth of books he gets 150% for the day another guys picks 60 totes worth of books he gets 80% for the day....really? They use to pay 12 an hour for order pickers back in the day now it just seems this is a sneaky way to give you 10 an hour with the false promise of incentive.

Business Analyst

Former Employee - Ecommerce Business Systems Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Ecommerce Business Systems Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Baker & Taylor (More than a year)

Pros

Nice group to work with

Cons

Changed my job requirements under my nose

Advice to Management

Know what you want out of a position before you hire for it.

RSS Feed </> Embed