Bakers Shoes

Add Photos

Peter Edison

My Time at Bakers

PR & Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsOrganization, Willingness to listen to employees

ConsNot progressive enough, behind online trends, poor store level staffing/recruiting efforts, internal promotions to a fault

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should have hired qualified candidates with legitimate experience and not promoted from within.

HORRIBLE! UNREALISTIC SALES GOAL AND HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Dearborn, MI

ProsThe 60% discount was great

ConsOn call hours, and doing stock everyday!

Enjoyed growing with the company.

Area Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe company has growh potential and promotes from within.

ConsNeeds to allow area managers more of a work life balance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work before bankruptcy

Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat discount surrounded by beautiful and very intelligent ladies. Everyone worked together as a team we all got along.

ConsOnce they filed bankruptcy everything kind of went downhill. They ran us in circles with the whole situation...

I love bakers

ProsAmazing discount, flexible hours, awesome managers who make work fun

ConsShort shifts, sometimes by the time I got ready for work and travel time was longer than my shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really loved my managers, but in some other stores I know they are not that great. Helping them learn to support and that starts with supporting them. Now it doesn't really matter obviously because they are closing. But I was devastated when I found out. I cried because I had fun coming to work.

Call center Mgr

ProsCo workers. Benefits. Pay.
    Benefits
    Pay
    Promotions
    Employee discount

ConsLiquidating merchandising
    Closing stores
    Closing corporate office

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and consider adcvice of the people who actually do the jobs and are face to face with the customers everday

It was alright.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsGood discount. Some employees are decent.

ConsCustomers are unpleasant. Pay is terrible. Must wear product and it hurts. VERY stressful job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire people based on their looks. Ease up on employees a bit.

Not the Greatest!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

Pros-Great sales experience in a fast paced environment.
    -Friendly co-workers.
    -Great store discount!

Cons-Extremely unorganized upper management.
    -Very low wages with unreasonable commission standards based on weekly hours.
    -Hourly wage OR Commission, NOT both!
    -Limited opportunities to move up within the company.
    -Sale Stealing will occur!

Advice to Senior Management-Raise hourly wages to win over prospective employees from competitors & lower company turnover rate.
    -Require store meetings with the RM present!
    -Update operating and cashier systems to electronically check on shoe availability.
    -Update to a internet based employee scheduling system to cut down on availability/scheduling confusion.
    -Update store security systems to assist with loss-prevention.
    -Start employee incentive programs within each store to motivate the associates and managers!!

great for highschool students

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Prosgood discount 50% off... They worked with your school schedule but could not be an assisting manager and go to school. When i first started they had great managers but then they changed everything and this is the reason why bakers had to close 72 stores and sell them to Aldo.

Cons•They . I called HR and complained about harassment and they forward my voicemail to the regional and Store manager and because of that they kept telling me to quit and would tell me that I was doing everything wrong. That I did not know what I was doing and I sucked as a manager.
    •Will not give you a raise, pay minimum wage

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that when its something to do with management and you call HR is because there is really something wrong. I ended up quitting after working for Bakers for years because of the constant harassment I would go through.

Extremely stressful. Too much drama

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Montebello, CA

Pros50% discount. That's about it!

ConsBakers stores are so small, so everyone knows everyones business. Managers make sales goals for their associates that are unbelievably high (ex. Sell $600 within a 3hr shift) I mean c'mon now.... Their training process is OK. They don't give breaks. I've done 6+hrs w/ no break. Since high heels are post of the dresscode, it can get pretty tiring. They don't review company policies during training. Bakers always felt so disorganized. Definately not a comfortable workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop expecting so much from associates. The shoes are expensive which is why consumers are hesitant to buy shoes, plus the quality of the products are terrible. The store run a lot smoother & be a happier place if employees weren't paid commission.

Worked for Bakers Shoes? Contribute to the Community!