Bakersfield City School District

4.6
CEO

1. Sub teacher

I have been working at Bakersfield City School District

Pros

Fun place to work, even in the city.

Cons

Sometimes students do not respect teacher.

2. Clerical

Current Freelancer - Office Clerk/Teacher's Aide in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Freelancer - Office Clerk/Teacher's Aide in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Bakersfield City School District (More than a year)

Pros

Employees at the schools are wonderful and welcoming.

Cons

Most jobs are only for one day and last 4-5 hours.

3. Wonderful School District to work for

Former Employee - Teacher in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Bakersfield City School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great teachers, wonderful morale, good compensation, wonderful pa,

Cons

Too much changing of admin

5. Bakersfield City Schools is a great district to work for...

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Bakersfield City School District part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This district is very large; they handle employment for many schools operated in the greater Bakersfield area. As a substitute teacher, you can almost always be sure the telephone registration system will contact you to offer employment. In addition, substitute teachers can enroll in the districts insurance compensation payment system with SISC: Self-Insured Schools of California, which keep adding a percentage portion of your wages and it gains interest dividends for when you become unemployed (for whatever reason) you can withdraw money from this fund.

Cons

In the beginning it's sometimes hard to locate schools within a short time (if called in the morning, same day). But if called the evening before, it's much better because you can look it up online.

Advice to Management

Advice to administrators: Make sure they acquire information from the regular teacher as to where they are in the lesson: Chapter, page number, etc. Work students are supposed to do or turn in. Otherwise the substitute does not know what to have the students do and they have to improvise. This can be very tough while having to also handle classroom management with a classroom full of students eager to be directed to their next assignment...

6. My experience with BCSD, has been the most rewarding experience I have had with a company!

Current Employee - Aid II in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Aid II in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Bakersfield City School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting very smart, friendly staff. Staff that is always wanting to help you and teach you, so your job performance can be better.

Cons

There are no cons, if you like children you are at the right job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

7. Good place to work

Former Employee - Teacher in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Bakersfield City School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers. District is supportive of their teachers and uses its resources to help the teachers help the kids learn. One of the best salary schedules in Kern County. My coworkers were helpful and friendly.

Cons

My principal was hard to please. She got me a coach because she didn't like the way I taught and because I was teaching a first/second grade combo and was having a hard time fitting everything in.. The coach and I came up with a good plan, but the principal got mad and told me the coach had no right to tell me how to do things. It was confusing,

Advice to Management

Listen to the teachers to know what kind of support they need to best do their jobs.

8. BCSD = great workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Bakersfield City School District

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at the Bakersfield City School District is that, for once, it is being run by a superintendent who KNOWS education and how to best help our students. He is not scared of hard decisions and he never micro-manages. Overall, the environment is positive and people treat each with respect.

Cons

Being a governmental agency, we are subject to the irresponsible fiscal mis-management of the California state legislature. The district, therefore, doesn't have a reliable budget stream. Also, No Child Left Behind has imposed arbitrary and senseless restrictions on schools and districts with difficult student populations. A negative aspect of the district itself would be the rigid policies put in place in response to the plague of lawyers who are required to respond to abusive litigation from unions, disgruntled employees and psychotic parents.

Advice to Management

Don't be so afraid. The media and lawyers aren't as powerful as they like to think.

9. typical school district....all up to the principal

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Bakersfield City School District

Pros

work with at risk kids where you can make a difference not only educationally, but in their personal lives as well.

Cons

easy to get bumped from school if you don't have a lot of experience, fluctuated student numbers cause increase or decrease in classes...you may have to change grades. I don't like jobs being given for seniority reasons instead of performance reasons....typical of education system.

Advice to Management

kids first...don't worry about whining teachers.

10. Its a pleasant evvironment to work.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

I have been working at Bakersfield City School District

Pros

All the holidays and pay.

Cons

Once a month paychecks paid.

RSS Feed </> Embed