Bakersfield City School District

Bakersfield City School District Reviews

Updated May 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

My experience with BCSD, has been the most rewarding experience I have had with a company!

Aid II (Current Employee)
    Bakersfield, CA

ProsMeeting very smart, friendly staff. Staff that is always wanting to help you and teach you, so your job performance can be better.

ConsThere are no cons, if you like children you are at the right job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Good place to work

Teacher (Former Employee)
    Bakersfield, CA

ProsWonderful co-workers. District is supportive of their teachers and uses its resources to help the teachers help the kids learn. One of the best salary schedules in Kern County. My coworkers were helpful and friendly.

ConsMy principal was hard to please. She got me a coach because she didn't like the way I taught and because I was teaching a first/second grade combo and was having a hard time fitting everything in.. The coach and I came up with a good plan, but the principal got mad and told me the coach had no right to tell me how to do things. It was confusing,

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the teachers to know what kind of support they need to best do their jobs.

BCSD = great workplace

Bakersfield, CA

ProsOne of the best reasons to work at the Bakersfield City School District is that, for once, it is being run by a superintendent who KNOWS education and how to best help our students. He is not scared of hard decisions and he never micro-manages. Overall, the environment is positive and people treat each with respect.

ConsBeing a governmental agency, we are subject to the irresponsible fiscal mis-management of the California state legislature. The district, therefore, doesn't have a reliable budget stream. Also, No Child Left Behind has imposed arbitrary and senseless restrictions on schools and districts with difficult student populations.

A negative aspect of the district itself would be the rigid policies put in place in response to the plague of lawyers who are required to respond to abusive litigation from unions, disgruntled employees and psychotic parents.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so afraid. The media and lawyers aren't as powerful as they like to think.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

typical school district....all up to the principal

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Bakersfield, CA

Proswork with at risk kids where you can make a difference not only educationally, but in their personal lives as well.

Conseasy to get bumped from school if you don't have a lot of experience, fluctuated student numbers cause increase or decrease in classes...you may have to change grades. I don't like jobs being given for seniority reasons instead of performance reasons....typical of education system.

Advice to Senior Managementkids first...don't worry about whining teachers.

Its a pleasant evvironment to work.

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsAll the holidays and pay.

ConsOnce a month paychecks paid.

Worked for Bakersfield City School District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bakersfield City School District reviews and ratings. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Bakersfield City School District employees.