Balboa Capital

Patrick Byrne

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Entry-Level Career Option For Sales Professionals

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsFast-paced and challenging work environment, good support for leads and marketing calls, company is growing and moving into new office space.

ConsWe need new office space because it can get loud with so many sales divisions on the same floor.

Balboa Capital Response

Mar 20, 2014Corporate Recruiter

Great to hear that you are enjoying your sales position at Balboa Capital. Keep up the great work!

No career advancement opportunity..you are a telemarketer

Account Executive (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsLittle supervision but with this comes no quality training. Reasonable cost of funds & can say you work for a 20 year old company but not much else good to say

ConsYou are not valued in anyway as employee. They do not care about you and basically just want to sell you on a "career" but there is no chance for one

Advice to Senior Managementbe honest with employees and customers. Stop rewarding your sales people who lie to customers and change contracts from one dollar buyouts to fair market value---which make more money for company---when you know it is a misrepresentation. Stop stealing leads generated by sales reps and having management keep them simply so a sales rep is not paid

account executive--sales

Account Executive (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsZero ethics. Two customer service reps and over 100 sales people. 95% of sales people last less than 8 months

ConsZero ethics and no training. Two customer service reps and over 100 salespeople---98% of sales people last less than 7 months. If you have any ethics don't go to work here. If you want short term employment & no career this is a good place. Eight sales people made over $60K in 2013. Marketing department lies & states they did a customer survey & had 98% customer satisfaction. We have never done a survey & think about how unrealistic 98% would be. Try calling customer service yourself & see if you get a live voice!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an ethics class. Leasingnews.org tells the truth about this company. Terrible pay, No 401K, no pension, terrible benefits. Management steals salespeople leads.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good culture

Account Executive (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsIt is a good first job in the leasing and equipment financing industry

ConsCall campaigns are out-dated. Salary and commission are very slim.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your agents better, make an effort to keep your good agents, pay them better

Young crowd and safe first job-- Account Executive

ProsThe location ideal
    The office is nice
    Mostly young, out of college in their 20's
    Salary w/benefits + commission at base
    Room to move around if you start in one department and it's not for you
    If you are looking for finance and sales than this is a great if not the best place to start!

ConsLong hours
    250 calls a day might not be for everyone

Advice to Senior ManagementAll management should have the same rules for their teams in my opinion! But they all have their pro's and con's :)

Balboa Capital Response

Mar 20, 2014Corporate Recruiter

Keep up the fantastic work!

Sales

Account Executive (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsSales is great because you can usually make a name for yourself if you produce

Consdouble edged sword, if you dont produce you can get canned

Advice to Senior ManagementNot bad, was heading to the right direction when i left.

Lots of cold calling, and by coincidence finding people interested in equipment leasing.

Account Executive (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

Prosfull medical benefits after 3 months. Credit repair system for businesses you contact who have bad credit. Young, supportive coworkers. Great location in Irvine. Managers I met in other offices seemed supportive, providing constructive criticism to coworkers. Beach days.

ConsLots of cold calling (200-260 calls a day). You can make the most calls in all of the offices and still not get any business to do equipment leasing or working capital. Management shows favortism, favoring those who are successful. Shady business practices by telling businesses they have been pre-approved to do business when they haven't. Company does not match 401k.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't show favortism to some employees. Take time to support those who are struggling to sell product. Give warning of firing to those on the fringe of getting fired. Be honest in business dealings.

Politics at its best

Prosgood coffee
    nice professional location/office
    you get a wireless headset
    diverse workplace
    pretty girls
    everyone leaves around 3-4 on fridays
    casual friday
    $2500 per month. 30k salary no room for negotiating

Constraining is only 3 days long! they throw you into the sharks after that..it seems nothing else matters but your call numbers at the end of the day. Lots of stuck up and self entitled people. They're are currently going through some growing pains, so things can get a unorganized at times. Sales cycle is way too long! commission structure is an industry joke! this industry is saturated and cut throat

Advice to Senior Managementtrain your people better! do up-training at lunch or something. Stop with all the favoritism! Their motto and style is they don't like to "baby sit" anyone, meaning they will let you slip through the cracks and fail if you don't absorb all the information they give you. There is plenty of help if and when you ask (beg) for it. Their atmosphere is not very competitive. Hire a real Sales Trainer! to help anyone who's struggling. MAKE A SALES SCRIPT TO FOLLOW!!

Balboa Capital takes care of employees who care about the Company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGreat technology, fast paced, exciting, great location, classy work environment. At Balboa Capital, you get the corporate benefits of a large company and the entrepreneurial benefits of a small company. Managers lead by example.

ConsNo match on the 401K plan. Benefit provider has changed 3 times in the last 4 years. Makes it annoying to refill paperwork at the doctors office.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more team members involved when creating a new product or rolling out a new policy, as there may be consequences that were not thought of once implemented.

Awesome Sales Gig

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsHigh energy, fast-paced sales teams with nice commission structure. Very nice building and office environment. Positive attitudes make coming to work pleasant.

ConsI agree with some of the other posts on here regarding our lack of office space. We keep hiring new sales folks and we are running out of room. I had to work in a small office with 3 other people for 2 months and we kept talking over each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore office space please!

Worked for Balboa Capital? Contribute to the Community!