Baldor Electric

Baldor Electric President & CEO Ronald Tucker
Ronald Tucker

Great Long-Term Employer

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Finding employees at Baldor with over 40+ years is easy. Upper management is in tune with everything going on and they want to be involved. Benefits are great and you get that "family" work feeling that is hard to find. Salaries are higher than most in the Fort Smith area.

Cons

Starting vacation time is lower than most companies, but it's a small price to pay for solid employment at a superb company.

Design engineer

Current Employee - CO Engineering in Flowery Branch, GA
    Current Employee - CO Engineering in Flowery Branch, GA

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time

Pros

pretty stable company, during the recession we worked short work weeks instead of laying people off.

Cons

Some times the decisions made seem to be a knee jerk reaction. Mandatory overtime, expect to work most Saturdays if you are a manufacturing worker.

A good place to work from the outside.

Current Employee - CNC Operator/Machinist in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - CNC Operator/Machinist in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Baldor is one of the best factories that I have ever worked at (above: Rheem, Whirlpool, Riverside, Planters). It's climate controlled and pays well and if your a robot that never gets injured, tired, sick, asks a question, and you want to live there then your employment will be looong and enjoyable. Guaranteed to work 45 Saturdays a year and often times you go to work and just stand around because no one can keep supplies coming in on time, finding matching components within the departments to assemble a complete motor, or because one or several machines sit idle for half to an entire shift that should be running to keep everyone else down the line in parts. Makes for an easy day or night.

Cons

What used to be a family friendly work environment with 45hrs of sick leave renewing every 6 months now renews one year after the date you missed (this is also used for inclement weather, unforeseen events, and tardyness). Before a person could either come in early or stay over to make up time lost for doctors appointments and the like as long as it was on the same day without it counting against them.

The management used to be on a level plane with the employees, keeping them humble, which was nice and made us feel more like a team. The open door policy was nice and was actually true (I went myself to the former CEO one day and there were no locked doors; everyone was very welcoming), this is no longer even though it's still on the books.

I have noticed hard working temps (who were not friends of mine nor that I had feelings for one way or the other) fired for reasons that were more along the lines of they didn't look right or maybe rubbed upper management the wrong way, so were terminated at the very suspicion of wrong doing without appeal. One after working 3 years as a temp and on the day before he was to be hired.

They buy cheap machines that perform poorly, but expect the best quality from them at a fast rate (I run a cnc and our customers should really check their parts to make sure they are getting what they are paying for), the micro-finishes unless they are burnished are hard to achieve with the doosans because of chatter and some don't have burnish tools in them. Balancing should be checked as well; basically, make sure you're getting what you pay for because alot of times the attitude is "oh well it will pass, maybe". I do the best I can to make excellent parts and sometimes get scolded for a low count for the effort but that don't really bother me that much (I have never been written up or caused trouble for my bosses and I love and get along well with my fellow employees; nothing in the form of scrap or bad parts ever comes back on me).

Baldor employees can expect at least a moderate stressful environment with the ABB acquisition depending on where you work in the plant, more so on first shift. The management do not care about concerns that you have about safety or work processes unless you have a degree and aggressively put down people with ideas contrary to that of white-collar intelligence. We are constantly forced to sign papers for "training", constantly threatened with our jobs and although the company is stable a person can be ran out for anything...ANYTHING! Injuries are something to get written up for because it's always your fault; I eyewitnessed a man earlier this very year (2014) get injured by the turret inside his machine rotating with the doors open. His finger or thumb was broken to the point that bones had to be screwed together, but instead of being sent to the doctor, he was "talked" into working with his other hand until lunch which was at least for two hours. The 10 million hour no lost time record might look good but it's far from accurate. Folks were either fired or forced to come in and just sit there post surgery to avoid it being recorded, but that's no more than everyone else does. Whirlpool did it too, it's just Baldor used to be honest about it.

It's also hard to advance unless you know someone, the buddy system is very strong here and experience takes a back seat at times. The reason people stay at Baldor is because it pays well and it's climate controlled. It's good, I suppose for a factory because I've worked alot worse but it used to be better.

Hey guys, we all love our customers (or you're supposed to) so stop being snotty and having puffed up chests about your high positions, love and listen to your employees; we do the work and are the one's that have to endure some of those bad ideas from people who have never done the job. Leaders should be the best servants.

Stable Company, Great People, Opportunity

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you were to walk into any Baldor facility, it would not take you long to run into an employee who has been here over 10 years. In most of our facilities, you'd likely run into many employees with 20, 30 or 40 years of service. That sounds hard to believe but it is very true. Baldor promotes a great culture where employees are encouraged to work as a team to make the company more successful. And then the company offers money back to employees who contribute to that success through profit sharing. There are many job opportunities available within the company and programs like our educational reimbursement program that help employees reach that next goal. The culture, the people and the company's focus on continuous improvement make Baldor a great place to work and I'm proud to be a part of it!

Cons

I believe that everything we do can and should be improved. With that said, there are some processes currently in place that could be more automated. Manual processes take a lot of unnecessary time away from other productivity.

Overall Good Experience

Current Employee - Production in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Production in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, good experience with fellow employees, and good steady work with no lay-offs.

Cons

The company has had a change in company values concerning departments relocating due to lower cost labor. Also, I was denied a promotion that was awarded to me.

Allow employees to be promoted and not to be kept in the same department/area because the employee shows greater work ethic than others in the department.

Good company. Worked there for almost 10 years.

Former Employee - Slitting Line Operator in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Slitting Line Operator in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Baldor Electric full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, profit sharing, above average pay. Stability, fair. Very safety conscious.

Cons

Management afraid to act on problem causing people. Needed air conditioning.

Give some kind of incentive to those that work harder. One has limited reasons to put out more production.

It isn't what is used to be!

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pros of being an employee used to be the longevity, integrity, and devotion of the corporate officers towards their plant employees. But this has changed and not for the best.

Cons

Having knowledge isn't what management wants in their new hires. If you are an employee with seniority and you earned a degree, you will be told you do not have experience. Then you are asked to resign, or you are terminated. I have personally seen over thirty long time employees terminated upon completion of a degree.

Got terminated related to FMLA

Former Employee - Machinist in Kings Mountain, NC
    Former Employee - Machinist in Kings Mountain, NC

I worked at Baldor Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the job I was performing.

Cons

Management overlooked other people with issues while I was trying to the right thing by my family and lost my job because of it.

You need to investigate your plant management in Kings Mountain, NC.

management problems, bad temp to hire policy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westville, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westville, OK

I worked at Baldor Electric full-time (less than an year)

Pros

clean work environment, decent facility

Cons

management has a basic lack of understanding scheduling, manning and tooling. they also lack people management skills. takes a year or longer to go from temp to full time hire, pay for a temp is marginal. lots of overtime due to poor scheduling. no basic knowledge of parts per hour or other basic industrial production. temps get treated very poorly by management (temps are easily replaceable therefore they are not considered any kind of asset regardless of their knowledge and experience). they also don't care if a temp gets hurt on the job.

start from scratch with your management team. revise your temp to hire policy. stop the good old boy way of thinking. the company could be very successful with the right leadership but will only make due until things change.

good company but.....

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Ozark, AR
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Ozark, AR

I have been working at Baldor Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good equipment, clean work environment, stable work, company has stuck to no layoff policy in past

Cons

takes years to get on day shift, and work too many weekends during summer to keep up even though machines and building stations are just sitting and not being ran for entire shifts during the week.

people need 2 nights a week at home with family. Schedule overtime to keep areas fully staffed during the week, don't let machines, building stations sit unused and then have to work Saturday to make up.