Baldwin Richardson Foods Reviews

Updated January 4, 2015
17 reviews filtered by
2.1
Eric G. Johnson

Demanding management, fast paced environment

Current Employee - Anonymous in Macedon, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Macedon, NY

I have been working at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is good, raises cam be slim, always something to work on, multiple learning opportunities

Cons

High turn over, unrealistic expectations, secrecy, under staffed because of the high turn over

Develop some talent for long term, work to reduce the turn over, empower your people to be able to work without fear of listing their job.

The most toxic, dysfunctional organization I have ever worked for! Do not accept an offer of employment from BR Foods!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Baldwin Richardson Foods

Pros

Employee recognition items are nice, BUT do not make up for extended hours away from family and toxic work atmosphere. Employees Support Ronald McDonald House.

Cons

Worst mistake of my life. Most of my co-workers acknowledge the same and are trying to get out. Extremely poor work/family balance. Can only recruit from outside of Rochester area for professional positions because company has such a toxic reputation in Rochester. Senior management team is unethical and so focused on financial returns that they allow products and out-of-spec products to be used for finished goods.. As a manufacturer of food products, this is not acceptable. Consistently hire and then fire employees to protect their own incompetence. Manufacturing employees are forced to work to maximum of allowable hours every week through the weekend. Employees are exhausted and poor safety record demonstrates such. Senior Management is not held to the same standard as hourly and middle management workforce. Senior management is rarely present during OT or weekend shifts and when they make an appearance, they simply walk through and then leave. A recent incident in one of their buildings finally forced the senior team to deal with some issues they were aware of and have ignored for years. Supply Chain, Engineering and Human Resources departments top to bottom are poorly equipped to get the job done. Most of the senior staff hide in their offices rather than interact with employee base. An executive released, in error, the salaries for the entire staff AND for the ownership team (privately held company) on a spreadsheet (clearly didn't know how to use Excel!) and was not disciplined. Ownership may have been successful as entrepreneurs, but they demonstrate a lack of competence in understanding what it takes to move the company forward. They are part-time employees at best; terrible judges of character and thus their corporate and their personal reputations are the laugh of the Rochester market.

The ownership is so out of touch that they are clearly unaware of their reputation and the toxic team they trust to manage the day-to-day operation. Ownership may be well educated, but they lack the self-awareness and political savvy necessary to steer this ship forward. You cannot only be part-time workers and expect to know what's happening in your business. You cannot permit your team to use products that aren't to spec and are to be consumed by the public. What a shame. You could be so much better.

Most Ridiculous place i have ever worked

I worked at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Good Benefits ,Good Benefits

Cons

Managers and Directors There are so many in charge they have nothing better to do than harass the workers

Replace yourselves

Due to high turnover through terminations and voluntary exiting there is no possibility of being able to do your job.

I have been working at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In the beginning I thought there were some. I was excited to work there. Due to the high turnover and not seeing an end to having to change focus and going through the learning curve process at each turnover and putting in endless hours to try to push through change only to have to fill gaps and not move forward has made me realize the glass is empty.

Cons

People first is one of their core values and I have not seen any indication of truth to that statement in the 4 years I have been there. The high turnover rate creates chaos and direction changes every 5 minute's. Unless you are part of the limited few your suggestions and opinions are not valued and you can't get past the wall of the privileged to make things better for the people that have to do the work. I wanted to believe that it was sour grapes but I have come to realize it never was. They have turned over all major departments and it has not changed the chaos. The information and tools that the hands on people need to do their job is not provided to them to allow for them to be successful.

They wouldn't take it in the past 4 years so I don't want to waste my time or their's.

6. Growing Company, Fast Paced Environment, Great People

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing, people are great (especially the new hires) and growth potential is here. One thing I can say is this company cares about you and holds true to its values.

Cons

Not many...It's busy here but what's the alternative?

Stick to the plan. Great decision on bringing in such an impactful Dir of Ops. She is really making a difference and cares about us and our safety.

I rather be unemployed.

Current Employee - Office Staff in Macedon, NY
    Current Employee - Office Staff in Macedon, NY

I have been working at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The unrealistic expectations and demands are great for ownership and the customers.

Cons

Morale is at an all time low and no one is doing anything about it. Many of my co-workers are looking to get out. The demands on the people and plant are so ridiculous and they just keep getting rid of people.

It is time to start over with a completley new phosophy and strategy.

8. If you enjoy a challenge and being able to think quickly on your feet...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macedon, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macedon, NY

I have been working at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees, benefits, environment, products, opportunity to make an impact

Cons

Some times too busy to even consider taking time off.

Thank you for looking out for the best of interest of both the employees and the future of BRF!

An overall terrible experience

Former Employee - Juggler in Macedon, NY
    Former Employee - Juggler in Macedon, NY

I worked at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the medical benefits are subsidized nicely by the company.

Cons

Read these reviews. The negative reviews are spot on. Most of the people I know that were fired (unjustly) have gone on to become Managers, directors and VPs at other companies. It can;t really be a new attitude and a change of heart by the employee can it? The Sr Leadership is rudderless and confused. the owner should sell and get out of the way. If you are currently employed there expect to be fired in the next 6-12 months.

Quit while you are ahead. the longer you work there the worse it looks on your resume.

Walked Out the Door like a piece of garbage with no explanation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macedon, NY

I worked at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, good benefits and close to home for me

Cons

no dedication to employees,. Many of us were walked out the door and given no explanation as to why. After nearly five years, with no concerns regarding my performance, I was let go.

I now work for a wonderful company that truly values its employees and their contribututions. BRF is a sad place to be, I still hear this from current employees five years later. LiDestri Foods is really laughing at this company. They now have some great people over there, thanks to BRF's stupidity.

BRF - High stress, unreasonable mgmt., dominance, fear, highly political - not about your work or performance

I worked at Baldwin Richardson Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The business is very interesting, dynamic - products you can relate to - could be a fun place to work with different mgmt.

Cons

Unpleasant, fear filled environment - they fire you and don't even give you a reason

Recognize that your children don't make the best business decisions.