Balfour Beatty Communities

Updated June 29, 2014
Updated June 29, 2014

Balfour Beatty Communities President Christopher Williams
Christopher Williams

I worked with friendly, professional people.

I worked at Balfour Beatty Communities as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

I wasonly there a short time and wanted to do more for the position I was in.

Keep the good wrkers you have and communicate more with the average worker.

Community Manager

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Balfour Beatty Communities full-time

Pros

stable positions, good office facilities, great benefits, average pay

Cons

understaff offices, salary positions require long work days/weeks to meet minimum deadlines, high employee turnover

consider living by the life balance policies that you promote, adequate staffing in Management and Facilities Offices needs to be address

Is all about who knows who!

Former Employee - Resident Specialist
    Former Employee - Resident Specialist

I worked at Balfour Beatty Communities full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning experience on military leasing on base. Training with Grace Hill could be improved to more onsite training.

Cons

No matter how hard you work, how much experience or education you have, it will all measure up on how good friends you become with upper management. Many people with lack of managerial traits end up being managers just because managers will back them up. Credit is given to those that don't do much instead of those who really work.

Be more proactive and look into who really does the job

Great Potential, but Ultimately very disappointing to work here

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Balfour Beatty Communities full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Time off is fair, company is large, so has potential.

Cons

Salaries aren't great. Information isn't shared, for such a large company they prefer to micro manage every level, which does not allow for growth individually or as a company. Not open to employee suggestions for change or morale. Leaders are intimidated by their employees and tend to not hire those that are more qualified than themselves.

If you preach the company values, then manage by them. Be open to talent and suggestions from the team. Allow for more work/life balance. Might be time to get rid of the upper crust . . . . . .

Company of Change

Current Employee - Resident Specialist
    Current Employee - Resident Specialist

I have been working at Balfour Beatty Communities full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent hours. Great communities (military). Diverse backgrounds within resident specialists.

Cons

This company changes policy regularly. When one base/property does something well they attempt to emulate that success elsewhere with limited or failed expectations. The constant change is harsh on employee retention.

Listen to the advice of your RS's. Many of those RS's are also customers. According to your own Grace Hill training you will get negative response....do not harbor that negative response from within your own employee base.

Worst Place to be Employed

Current Employee - RS/LWC/ACM
    Current Employee - RS/LWC/ACM

I have been working at Balfour Beatty Communities full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits package such, paid time off.

Cons

Employee reimbursement took up to 6 months IF the Financial Advisor did not loose your receipts. Senior Area Mgt. changed policy on monthly basis. Whats true for one not for another. Conflicts between employees were attempted to be resolved by being swept under the rug. . BBC as a company is great on paper however does little if anything to implement values into daily practice beginning with Senior Mgt.

Pay your employees their over time!

Less than Fantastic Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malmstrom AFB, MT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malmstrom AFB, MT

I have been working at Balfour Beatty Communities full-time

Pros

Excellent hours and Great communities (military)

Cons

Terrible pay vs. work, Management will harbor the negative responses from within their own employee base; Management and Employees Cross the Line no repercussions because management Avoids conflict; A lack of ethical behavior by management causing your values to be at odds with the corporate culture; no training or continuing education; limited upward grow; NO communication; Management isn't consistent in their behavior; management is intoxicated by positional power; Lack of Diverse backgrounds; management decisions are NEVER rational and logical, only emotional; favoritism;

The best managers are secure, and want to build a team of talented people whom they continue to develop. Since a good amount of management involves addressing or adjudicating conflict situations, management is no place for conflict-avoiders. Natural tendencies toward favoritism should be resisted. The best managers realize that positional power is a privilege, and wield it judiciously. The best managers are credible and always true to their word. In short, trustworthy. People like and need predictability.

Good

Current Employee - Facility Manager in Kaneohe, HI
    Current Employee - Facility Manager in Kaneohe, HI

I have been working at Balfour Beatty Communities full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Absentee supervisor, rarely answers emails or phone

Upper management seems overwhelmed

Assistant Neighborhood Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Neighborhood Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Neighborhood Manager

I worked at Balfour Beatty Communities full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There were a lot of nice people to work with - people you could consider real friends outside of work. Even my managers were always super nice to me - but I was good at my job.

Cons

This was my first time outside of conventional property management, and I discovered that working with the military is awful. The military wives are actually the most stressful part of this job (and that's saying a lot - I have previous experience working in a ghetto in affordable housing, just to give you an idea.) So, if you can handle their problems then you'll do just fine (read: you have to have a fuse that is infinitely long.) Beyond that, we were always severely understaffed. A ratio of 1500 residents to five employees - to give you an idea. I got paid more than most people in this geographical area - but it still wasn't enough. If I had stayed longer I would've asked for a raise in a hurry. Anyway, the company culture is alright - most of the time it's a "suck it up" mentality. Everyone did the best they could though, and upper management was generally supportive.

Ask employees for their candid opinion on staffing. Important things get lost in translation because many times there is just too much for everyone to handle.

Very rewarding and supportful company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport, RI

I worked at Balfour Beatty Communities full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very good benefits. Good work support. Team efforts promoted. Company benefits are excellent, 2 weeks vacation , two personal days, 2 volunteer days 10 paid holidays, 5 sick days. Plus work and job performance bonuses.

Cons

Budget restrictions due to economic times difficult to reach goals, MacGyver can only do so much.

All leaders should read the 17 indisputable laws of teamwork. Develop a mentorship program for advancement.

Balfour Beatty Communities Photos