Balfour Beatty Infrastructure

Employment Status

Reset
4.1
Jim Moynihan

1. Great company that takes care of its people.

I have been working at Balfour Beatty Infrastructure

Pros

Safety culture, pay, benefits

Cons

Travel, changing project locations

2. Small, not a lot of growth.

Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Balfour Beatty Infrastructure

Pros

Good company. Not a lot of growth in terms of promotion opportunities.

Cons

Global company and sister companies have a lot more resources to be able to push forward important projects and improvements.

3. Great Company to work for

I have been working at Balfour Beatty Infrastructure full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of different things to do

Cons

Jobs last 2-4 years then move, might be a pro

5. Transferred to Colorado

Former Employee - Envirolenmental, Health & Safety Representative in Oakland, CA

I worked at Balfour Beatty Infrastructure full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Balfour Beatty is an outstanding company to work for. The Zero Harm Safety program is second to none. The opportunity for personal growth and carrier development are also outstanding..

Cons

Well as with all large companies, some people are not safe workers. I feel some times we give third and fourth chances. If some one proves to be unsafe, no matter how good of worker they may be, they should be let go.

Advice to Management

Some type of screening policy to check back ground of previous work record of all new hires should be implemented. As we all know some of these people are carrier lite duty specialist.

6. Professional Hard Charging Firm

Former Employee - Senior PM in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior PM in San Diego, CA

I worked at Balfour Beatty Infrastructure full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sub-contractor portfolio School Experience Navy project experience People Opportunties to help in the Business Development arena Central Schedulers who were very good

Cons

In 2010, systems were changing due to Balfour Beatty acquiring Barnhart, Inc. Barnhart has just been acquired by one of Balfour Beatty subsiduiary's the year before. So financial systems switched twice in the matter of a few years. Marketing struggled a bit to win DOD projects.

Advice to Management

Consider in house A/E capability

7. time well spent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Balfour Beatty Infrastructure full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great small company feel although working for a big corporation

Cons

constant moving every two to three years

8. Great Working Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Balfour Beatty Infrastructure

Pros

Large company operating on a small scale level. Everyone gets to know everyone.

Cons

This is a rather conservative company over all.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

9. Tough

I have been working at Balfour Beatty Infrastructure

Pros

If your out of work

Cons

Lack of repsct for Engineers, Long hours for little recognition of effort, too much work and no loyalty to staff

Advice to Management

Look after the staff you have and recognise they are your company

10. Great on a day-to-day basis, but relatively low pay and dim long term prospects.

I worked at Balfour Beatty Infrastructure

Pros

A large company with many government contracts across the UK means job security is high and there are many opportunities to move around the country, between contracts, if you need to. Good interaction between support staff in offices and operatives working on the road helps keep things efficient. Excellent record for safety.

Cons

The pay offered was very low compared to other companies, both at a junior, senior and management levels. Grievances over pay were often discussed over the water cooler, which led to a high personnel turnover, both on individual contracts and at the head office. The statistics were, however, on a downward trend when I left so things may have now improved. Many staff had little issue openly stating, in front of management, that they would leave BBIS in an instant if offered a job that paid more. I, for example, was earning 30% less than counterparts in other engineering companies. An intern I worked with claimed she was being paid less than 40% of what her counterparts were and that the sponsorship offer she was presented with bound her to work for the company for 5 years after leaving university, again, on low pay. The contract director told her not to accept the offer and to find work elsewhere as it would be better for her in the long run! The procurement department was living on a different planet when they bid for contracts, often going in with prices below the raw cost, let alone raw cost + overheads. I worked with two contracts in my time there and the Quantity Surveyors on both often complained about having to 'round up' quantities (i.e. falsify records) when requesting payments for work orders, simply to balance the books. It's not nice working for a company, knowing the people you work with are overcharging the council due to incompetence at the head office and it's even worse knowing that your council taxes are paying for it

Advice to Management

Head office needs to employ more staff that have experience working on the ground, on the roads and on contracts. It seemed as though the staff and management at head office had little idea of how things worked outside their bubble.

11. A large company with a small business feel.

I have been working at Balfour Beatty Infrastructure

Pros

Career development is highly regarded. Opportunity for advancement is equal for all employees that want to succeed. Benefit packages are better than most companies I have ever worked with.

Cons

Balfour is currently in the process of integrating all the new businesses they have acquired over the past few years. Company processes are changing to accommodate all the new employees, so change can be somewhat painful, but the goal is a seamless national company that acts as one rather than individual divisions.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to improve processes and management. Never be satisfied with where we are, but always work to be better.

RSS Feed </> Embed