Balihoo Reviews

4.5

Pete Gombert

Amazing Opportunity

I have been working at Balihoo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great employees.. fun environment, lots of laughs, smart co-workers, challenging work
    Great exec team.. highly capable team with strong industry experience
    Great opportunity.. huge market, huge opportunity, few viable competitors. Exciting opportunities professionally to positively impact the business

Cons

No major concerns that I have encountered to date.

Go big!

Great company and great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Balihoo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is THE most transparent company I have ever worked for. The CEO holds monthly all company meetings and provides visibility into financials, our vision, our customers and always provides honest feedback on how we are doing. I love knowing what is going on.

Cons

The expectations are high here and the work is challenging. If you are looking for a place to cruise along and punch a time clock - this is not it. There is another review on this site about the fact that management sometimes buys lunch for us to stay and work. Sure you could see that as a negative sweatshop mentality. I see it as mangement recognizing they are asking something above and beyond and trying to make it easier on us. It is DEFINITELY NOT a sweatshop.

Maintain the transparent nature of the company even as we grow.

Can't imagine working anywhere else!

Current Employee - Client Services in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Client Services in Boise, ID

I have been working at Balihoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are amazing, the culture is by far the best compared to any other company I've worked at, the job is challenging and management keeps people accountable - which is a great thing! I've also found that my opinions are valued and I feel that what I'm doing, is working towards a company goal.

Cons

No necessarily a "con" but it's a work hard / play hard environment - which is not for everyone. However, if people can handle it, it's proven to be very rewarding!

Sweatshop, poor top-down communication, who's driving this ship and in what direction?

Current Employee - Software Developer in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Balihoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in downtown Boise is nice. Cool offices. Peers are friendly.

Cons

Management will just as soon stick a knife in you back. Did I mention it is a sweatshop? There were times I tried to sneak out at lunch or after work (which arguably is my time) to work out or pick up family, and I was greeted with, "yeah... about that..." They would bring in lunches and dinners so you would not have a need to go home. And all of this effort for a visionless product.

Awesome opportunities and amazing leadership!

Current Employee - Manager in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at Balihoo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great personalities and willingness to grow/learn
    -Opportunities offered to those who work hard and kick butt
    -Love the focus on company culture
    -Benefits have increased since I was hired

Cons

-Lack of transparency of product decisions (but getting better!)
    -Female leadership at the Executive and Board level

Keep up the transparency - our All Paws meetings are integral to our knowledge and understanding of the business.

Fun company culture, awesome people, lots of opportunity!

I have been working at Balihoo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tons of opportunity to grow your career and make real contributions in the overall direction and success of the company.

Cons

A number of management hires recently means a lot of process changes - flexibility is key in all employees.

Remember to promote culture and foster inclusion as the company grows and processes are put into place.

Amazing people, great product, solid investors, phenomenal growth!

I have been working at Balihoo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Balihoo has more than doubled its revenues in the past year and ramped headcount accordingly. Even so, the culture is still so rich and fun. Here are a few of the many benefits - sponsored (paid) sabbatical every five years (with $2,500 of go have fun money); Mustache May, bike parking and repair area, five full days of volunteering per year (almost obligatory), keggerator with two kegs of homebrew (brewed by a couple of our employees - Balihoo covers the costs), Balihoo volunteer fund (someone went to Thailand last year using a Balihoo funded scholarship... I could go on and on. This place is pretty amazing. I feel lucky. Everyday I feel like my contributions are valued and impactful.

Cons

Health benefits could be improved. At this point, employees are given a stipend and can optionally enroll in a pretty mediocre health insurance plan.

Keep the wheels on the bus! This is an exciting ride.

Balihoo has been a breath of fresh air in my career. I feel excited to go to work, be a part of a growing company!

Current Employee - Office Manager in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at Balihoo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

positive executive staff to push you to achieve career goals. exciting fast paced work environment. community involvement & creative culture

Cons

constantly growing and changing, sometimes hard to stay on top of everything. sometimes difficult to stay connected to everyone personally

continue to find ways of modeling appropriate work/life balance. try to find ways to stay connected to those who work for you. continue to be creative with your business approach. It's truly an honor to be a part of Balihoo; I feel like I'm part of something that is great, noteworthy, relevant and exciting. Thank you for creating the culture and community outward focus!

Culture-centric company focused as much on its employees as on its bottom line.

I have been working at Balihoo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-upper management is highly engaged
    -excellent employee culture
    -enjoyable work
    -manageable workload

Cons

-hard work, while fulfilling, is not for everyone; may not be a good fit for those looking to simply clock in from 9 to 5 and doze in front of a computer screen

We'd love to see more participation in the company's sponsored volunteer program, the Pawsitive Project.

Fun, innovative, and fast growing start up company in the local marketing industry.

I have been working at Balihoo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Has a great "start-up company feel" with great culture, great people, and great leadership. As a fast growing, venture capital funded company with a number of blue chip clients, Balihoo has attracted some high level talent which makes everyone better. The company provides great career growth opportunities and the ability to see a company be built from the ground up. Hard work and creativity are rewarded and volunteering in encouraged by giving every employee hours to use towards charity efforts.

Cons

Even with a fast growing company, there are ups and downs. Benefits could be better, though I'm sure they will improve as the company grows if it wants to continue to attract and keep top talent.