Ball Horticultural Reviews

Ball Horticultural CEO Anna C. Ball
Anna C. Ball

Creative and open-minded

I worked at Ball Horticultural

Pros

This company is composed of people passionate about what they do. Teamwork is encouraged. It is recognized as the clear leader in customer service, product quality and innovation in the ornamental horticulture industry.

Cons

Salaries in this industry are lower than those in similar industries. Also, since many people stay with the company for many years opportunities for advancement within the company can be limited.

A 'training ground' company

I worked at Ball Horticultural full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A good place to get training in the ornamental plant industry. Company travel to international locations. Good beginning learning opportunity.

Cons

Management is very entrenched in a 'knowledge is power' and political gamesmanship mentality. Human resources is solidly behind upper management to the detriment of lower level employees. Depending on whom you interact with in the company due to your role, one can interact with some very caustic and toxic individuals.

As others have stated, very little opportunity for career advancement. Hard work is not rewarded/valued and is quickly forgotten... a 'what have you done for me lately' environment. Politics is king at Ball; those that play the game the best rise into management positions.

Undercurrents of hidden agendas and murky strategies

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ball Horticultural full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pleasant work environment, educated employees, lovely gardens, on site café. Anna Ball is very active with management and has a professional worth ethic which makes her employees want to work hard for her.

Cons

Because there is very little turnover many people reach their own level of incompetentcy rather quickly - but yet think they are brilliant. The company has difficulty staying the course and is distracted by what they believe to be the next big thing. No succession planning and most management is close to retirement age or should have retired 10 years ago. Management can be self serving ignoring what is right and correct. Low salaries and annual review increases are typically less than 2%.

Advice to Management

There are quite a few bad in the company that stir up a lot over dramatized drama in company that hold important positions. I have witnessed them band together to reduce the efficiencies and impose failure obsticles to those employees they believe are smarter or have a better career path. Evilness is alive at Ball Horticultural Company - just ask a few of the hardest working folks there!

5. Great family company to work for

Current Employee - Research Assistant in West Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ball Horticultural full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work, good atmosphere, good people

Cons

Hard to grow, because people like Ball environment, they work there till retirement.

6. Internship - Great experience

Former Intern - IT Desktop Technician
    Former Intern - IT Desktop Technician

I worked at Ball Horticultural as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They brought me on as a temporary employee for 4 months as a way to complete an internship required to graduate. They gave me great experiences beyond what a normal internship gives. My internship lasted 4 months, plus I was full time (40 hours/week), and compensated. I assisted with their XP to Windows 7 rollout, but I also assisted with IT support center. The manager and my coworkers trusted me enough as well that I didn't have someone constantly having to tell me what to do, and I completed my assignments.

Cons

I felt underutilized by management. I was often left alone on things and had trouble getting help as others were usually busy with other things, which left me to spend a lot of time on Google. I would have liked to help out more but, I was unable to. I was treated like I didn't know what I was doing even though that internship was all I needed to graduate.

Advice to Management

Please give your interns more things to do and make sure time is set each day for your interns as they may need help.

Great family owned horticultural broker. LOVES their customers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ball Horticultural full-time

Pros

Great family environment, very understanding management

Cons

A lot of folks stuck in their ways. There is a lot of "We have done it this way for years, we arent going to change it now"

8. Ball Publishing

I have been working at Ball Horticultural

Pros

Flexible, family orientated, solid company

Cons

salary, little room for advancement,

9. A nearly all-encompassing view of the horticulture industry.

I have been working at Ball Horticultural

Pros

It is my opinion that you have the ability to pursue many different avenues or career opportunities within the company.

Cons

Many other companies share this issue, but it is difficult to work across departments and still maintain the integrity of the project. With so many people working for the company and so many different opinions of a topic, it's often hard to keep ideas afloat.

Advice to Management

I would love to hear more about the big picture decisions that are being made: where these ideas come from and how we vote on their implementation.

It was a job not a career. No place for growth within the company

Former Employee - Web Manager - User Experience Architect
    Former Employee - Web Manager - User Experience Architect

I worked at Ball Horticultural

Pros

They have a good benefit program and it is a family own company, other that nothing in particular. nothing more

Cons

Ball will work you to death and expect a lot from you within an unreasonable amount of time. Need to be more focus.

Advice to Management

The management needs to be better educated in the new technology area and stop thinking old school.need to be more focus.
    Anna Ball is doing a great job in the way she wants to go. The problem is too many people are not listening to what she is saying.

11. al met al een goed bedrijf a good company overall

Former Employee - Bedrijfsanalist in Venhuizen (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Bedrijfsanalist in Venhuizen (Netherlands)

I worked at Ball Horticultural full-time (Less than a year)

(Translated from English)

Pros

heel ontspannen sfeer in het Nederland kantoor, flexibele werktijden, goede interpersoonlijke relatie, makkelijk om te communiceren, leiderspositie in de industrie, leuke werkomgeving (platteland)

very relaxed atmosphere in the Netherlands office, flexible working time, good interpersonal relationship, easy to communication, leader position in the industry, nice working environment (countryside)

Cons

Woon-werkverkeer kost wat tijd aangezien de locatie niet in een stad ligt, in één kantoor zijn de faciliteiten simpel en samenwerking gebeurt niet veel aangezien iedereen in principe zorgt voor zijn/haar eigen klanten

commuting takes some time since the location is not in a city, in one office the facilities are simple, and collaboration is not much since everyone is basically in charge of his/her own customers

RSS Feed </> Embed