Ball State Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
3.9

Ball State President Jo Ann M. Gora
Jo Ann M. Gora

Pros
  • Opportunities to learn and grow within a position (in 3 reviews)

• Laid back, Good Benefits, Good People (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a cap of 20 hours a week for student employees during the semesters but this is rather short (in 5 reviews)

• As a student worker I was paid minimum wage in dining and slightly higher in transportation (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Graduate Assistant Experience

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Muncie, IN

I have been working at Ball State part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While the duties of a graduate assistant vary greatly depending on your placement, Ball State does a good job of regulating hours to not overwork the students. My bosses have been extremely helpful, and interested in my career development.

Cons

The pay is rather low compared to GA's at other schools, but keep in mind the living expenses here are cheaper. Sometimes the work can be trivial, but needs to be done by someone.

I'd love to see some professional development workshops geared towards GA's more frequently if possible.

Information Systems Technician

Current Employee - Information Systems Department Technician in Muncie, IN
    Current Employee - Information Systems Department Technician in Muncie, IN

I have been working at Ball State part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Other student workers are always willing to help you out when needed. You will make a lot of good connections that will lead to great references for a future job if you can at least perform to the average standard.

Cons

The pay is the same as anywhere on campus for a student employee which is minimum wage. Yet, the connections you make and what you learn far outweigh the pay especially if you do not have a lot of experience on a resume.

Graduate Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Muncie, IN

I worked at Ball State part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are an out of state student going to graduate school, you will only pay in-state tuition as a grad assistant. Many departments on campus give opportunities to learn and grow as you attend school. I was able to develop my project management skills that have carried past my graduate assistantship. You also have the freedom to make mistakes.

Cons

Occasionally not enough work to fill the 20 hour minimum. Depending on what department you're in, you may not get as much relevant experience

Not Bad

I have been working at Ball State

Pros

Offers a great way to network, grow in experience and grow as an individual. Great place to be employed as you attend school.

Cons

The compensation for some positions are under the bar, and really need to be reviewed. This is not always a problem.

Great Job!

Current Employee - Consultant in Muncie, IN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Muncie, IN

I have been working at Ball State part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing Staff, Amazing People, Just great place to work

Cons

There are no cons when working at Ball State

Every Ball State student looking for their first job on campus, you need to start here.

Former Employee - Desk Staff in Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - Desk Staff in Muncie, IN

I worked at Ball State part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Personal growth, friendly, fun, can some times be very upbeat, works around your schedule, and you get breaks when school is out.

Cons

Sometimes they can ask you to do a lot, and working night staff can be a hard task.

I believe you all do the best you can but it would be better if you all had more staff on hand. This goes for Residence & Life.

Good company for student employment!

I have been working at Ball State part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being a student employee for the past few years, it has been a pleasure to work for BSU. The individuals I work with and for are great. Depending on your job, you may have time to get some homework done while at work. There are also many opportunities to work in a field related to your major to get experiences.

Cons

They don't pay overtime so it's strictly 40 hours a week in the summer and no more. There is a cap of 20 hours a week for student employees during the semesters but this is rather short. Many students work 30 or 40 hours while attending school but have to do so in off-campus jobs. Some full-time employees have an elitist attitude and think it is okay to treat student employees like garbage.

If BSU could raise the cap to 30 hours, then it would be very beneficial to students who only want the one job.

Great Learning experience as a Graduate Assistant

I have been working at Ball State part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Real-time work experience being a Web Developer, practicing Professionalism, hands-on new projects, learning new technologies while doing part-time job, preparing for the future.

Cons

Challenges includes Low Payment, Academic as well as job responsibilities and maintaining work/academic/life balance.

G.A

I have been working at Ball State

Pros

Flexible schedule and possibilities to teach.

Cons

Pay rate is low. Not enough to live off of

Beautiful place to work.

I have been working at Ball State

Pros

Ball State is just the right size.

Cons

Ball state needs to update some older buildings.

Ball State Photos