Balluun Reviews

13 reviews filtered by
3.4
Hans-Peter Klaey

1. Promising start up, fun culture

I have been working at Balluun full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Perks on perks - fully stocked kitchen, ping pong table that people actually play on, happy hours, fun team building events like going on a private boat out onto the SF Bay, smart and fun team members. Management puts effort into making the office a fun place and making sure that comforts (especially food) are taken care of.

A strong product with a lot of growth potential - growth is already happening, it'll be exciting to see where it goes

Small enough team so there's not much politics. People mostly work well together.

Cons

Going through some personnel changes as the team grows. A small number of the employees want the perks without doing the work they're supposed to - annoying for the rest of us who has to work with them.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within. It's great to see people get recognized for their hard work. Keep an eye on slackers.

2. Dissatisfied, not worth it!

I worked at Balluun full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only pros is they have happy hours and team outings often.

Cons

The business model has changed too many times over the last couple of years. Poor decisions and poor sense of marketing has now left them in a very bad shape. They have spent money on unnecessary things.

3. good people but flawed company

Current Employee - Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Balluun full-time (more than a year)

Pros

nice people and hard working employees, free food a few times a week, ping pong table, gym

Cons

salaries tend to be on the low side, many unorganized managers, team is in us but ceo and other execs are not here but in europe

Advice to Management

need a vision and need a strategy, run the company like a startup but not a sweatshop, need to have people talk with each other and not random emails or postings

5. Great Company with fun and laid back environment !!!

I have been working at Balluun full-time

Pros

The company is genuinely interested in ensuring that people are happy and stay for the long run. Great place to work--great people, interesting work.

Cons

Can't really complain about anything

Advice to Management

I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

You want to stay away from this place

I worked at Balluun full-time

Pros

Nice view from the office, 3-day lunch every week, happy hour

Cons

This is a messed up company. It has nothing but politics. I'm only listing a few the most obnoxious things here.

Dishonest. I've never seen any company spending so much effort on faking their company reviews everywhere. They're not honest with their employees either, especially when it comes to the benefit.

Layoff happens frequently. Use employees as assets and treat them differently based on their personal fondness. When it comes to layoff or firing employees, they’re ruthless, no second chance or even advanced notice.

Not serious enough about recruiting. There seems to be this secret "probationary period" because of the low cost of recruiting (there’s only one HR who is not a professional recruiter). You are hired, but the leaders will observe if you meet their desired requirements. If not, you're very likely to get laid-off. This is really unethical and unprofessional, it's especially bad for employees holding a visa.

No mentorship or career path. if you're a developer, there's really no promotion opportunities. No evaluation system (e.g. performance review) at all.

Advice to Management

When you let people go frequently, what you lost is not only those employees but also the existing employees' faith and trust for your company. Focus on the quality of recruiting instead of spying on people.

Stay away!! You'll regret joining this company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Balluun (less than a year)

Pros

Smart, savvy and hard working people

Cons

The pro listed is a waste considering management doesn't appreciate us. You are not valued for your work. You're valued on your looks or the school you went to. I work continous hours and even weekends but never "compensated". I guess you need to be C level or a favorite. They don't know how to say Thank You or Good Job. They do, however, know how to tell you what you could have done better. Your voice is minimal, nevermind your opinion.

Advice to Management

Get rid of yourself, then this company has a better chance of surviving.

An Unprofessional Paradise

I have been working at Balluun full-time

Pros

There are talented and hard-working people who worked here but most of them have quit or been laid-off. Now the only good thing is the office view.

Cons

Here are some heads-up before you join this company:
    Be prepare to learn how to kiss-ass, and kiss hard to make your life easier. Favoritism is the best way to climb the ladder here; Be aware of the lack of leadership and secret culture. They can really kill your passion of working in this company; Be ready to say goodbye to your weekends because of the work load. This company doesn't and will never appreciate it. Be quite, the power center of this company has a big ego and doesn't like to be given advises. They prefer employees just listen and execute what they want, without having a great mind to evaluate and accept constructed opinions.

Advice to Management

Please stop faking reviews here.

Balluun Response

Jul 25, 2014Director of HR

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to the concerns listed in this review. As a small, hard-working start-up, it's definitely true that we have experienced - and will continue to experience ... More

9. Great Place

I worked at Balluun

Pros

Fun place to work
    Great coworkers
    Exciting

Cons

none. i loved working here!

10. Great Company, Great Atmosphere, Great Everything

I have been working at Balluun full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Personal machines while working in an open environment, company outings/trips, 3 catered meals per week, and just a fun group of individuals who are driven to see the company succeed

Cons

This company does not seem to have a downside that I have seen. Every day there are challenges but everyone is open to suggestions/recommendations and you are always free to state possible improvements.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work and atmosphere!

11. Best place to work at the moment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Balluun full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- The people are extremely smart and know what they're doing. They don't flaunt their skills; they just get things done!
    - We work together. If someone needs help, the issue will be resolved on the spot and all the relevant people will be pulled in to fix the problem. If you want to learn something, someone will be there to tutor you.
    - People are quite frank (tactfully so). We don't have politics.
    - Everyone is very friendly and there's a slight blur between coworkers and friends (in a good way). People crack jokes on each other as if they've been best friends for years; they spend time together outside of work; they genuinely care how you're doing and want to know what you're up to.
    - The CEO is super approachable and funny. He's a bit silly at times, which lightens the atmosphere. He really takes care of employees and values our opinions.
    - HR is awesome; she's officially the company mom. You may want to join the company just because of her.

Cons

WARNING: You will gain weight from the free lunches and snacks.

Advice to Management

It'd be great to strengthen mentorship within the company, to help employees with personal development and growth.