Bally Technologies

www.ballytech.com

Bally Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Richard Haddrill

Pros
  • Very good salary - above standards (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay, better than average, other health benefits, snacks etc (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • this can lead to a strain in the work-life balance (in 42 reviews)

• senior managements, NO WORK LIFE BALANCE (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a fun place to work.

Can't Say Too Specific (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsNo where to go but up. Talent pool is low. If you have knowledge and a little drive you're going to do well. Loads of opportunity and high turnover. The turnover isn't due to the company. It's this city. People just don't stay in Vegas that long if they have a family.

ConsWorking with low skill levels at all levels of the company has it's downsides. Sometimes basic concepts taught in business school aren't understood. Proving the obvious can be a drag.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more top talent. No more communication, sociology, psychology, and other worthless majors from online schools. Tier 1-2 school graduates with true business degrees will take you miles further.

shady shady company

Senior Management (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsBally has experienced massive growth due to the use of creative accounting and the use of offshore R&D centers. Bally games are the saving grace of this company.

ConsThis company invests heavily in India and runs a similar slave like environment to Foxconn. They have cots for employees and if they chose to leave for ANY reason they're employment is terminated. I've not seen the use of any suicide nets.
    Bally has a rather myopic view of everything due to their intense focus on its fiscal reporting. Project revenue is adjusted on a massive scale to ensure quarterly numbers are met. Bally's reputation in the marketplace is not one of quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvestors should audit the company carefully as there are substantial risks based on the current business practices. A recent analyst (sorry I forget the name) reported that Bally is another Enron due to its "shady" business practices. Management should be fired.

Great Company to work for

ProsInnovative, great people, stable, true global company

Conswork life balance is difficult

Advice to Senior Managementprovide growth opportunities

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Humbled beginnings.

Graphic Artist (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

Pros- Provides great resource for family, and business oriented class sessions.
    - Helpful coworkers.
    - Social environment.

ConsManagement varies from studio to studio. few are laid back, others micro-manage, and some simply can't make up their mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen asking for a bunch of small changes, first let the artist know what you're trying to solve first. We can help too.

Really fun company to work for

SQA Specialist (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsThe culture is very light and you truly feel like you are cared about.

ConsOften times tight deadlines can cause some overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the lighthearted culture.

Good company, but a lot of travel

Prefer Not to Say (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsMost of the employees that have been there 5+ years will help you out and are generally good people to work with. If you are single and don't mind traveling up to 6 weeks at a time, you get to see some amazing places, both in the U.S. and internationally. You can take advantage of whatever time off you have to explore the cities and immerse yourself in local culture.

ConsRequires more commitment to the company than some may be willing to give. As stated in the title, there is a LOT of travel for certain positions (installation/training/gaming shows), so be prepared to optimize your time when you are home. If you are in a relationship, it will take a very committed partner to understand this is your job. There is a certain amount of gossiping as well ranging from hopeful ("everyone could get bonuses") to negative ("we heard they're outsourcing everything to India").

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a break once in a while and hang out with the team. With a company this size, you are always going to have negative employees, but they are the exception, not the norm. You'd be surprised what you will learn and could boost morale in the office and the road.

Employment in the Reno area

Senior Client Project Manager (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsStable employment and good medical benefits.

ConsManagement does not encourage inter-company transfers which can be very limiting for long-term employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to listen to employee contributions so the company can learn from the wealth of knowledge within their employee base. Encourage employee transfers as cross-training amongst different organizations. Allow job rotations for heavily traveled employees.

Good Company, but not perfect

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsAbove average health benefits
    Stable
    Supportive of employees
    Education Reimbursement program

ConsNot much technical structure, a bit of a Wild West atmosphere
    Can get into blame game on high-pressure projects
    Will demand OT without any compensation considerations

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more effort into training and establishing development standards.

Hard work pays off at Bally.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsUpper management has a willingness to promote from within. Individuals who demonstrate a solid work ethic and innovative thinking are identified and given more opportunity to advance in their career.

ConsMisalignment in the organizational structure reduces effectiveness and throttles strategic initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace a build to demand strategy.

A lot of potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsWell positioned in the marketplace
    Good product line
    Much potential in the systems area
    Groups of very talented people

ConsOver the past several years, executives have done a poor job at developing a strategic vision. Departments are not cross-functional and struggle to align due to lack of strategic vision and poor communications. Employees work hard to fill gaps that don't need to exist, making inefficient use of and sometimes losing hard won talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutives: step back and take a fresh look at the company's potential and resources, come up with a strategic vision and make your departments become cross-functional and aligned with the company's strategic vision.

Worked for Bally Technologies? Contribute to the Community!