Bally Total Fitness

www.ballyfitness.com

Bally Total Fitness Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Steve Tucker

Pros
  • Free membership, cool workers, good smoothies, good location(in 12 reviews)

• The only Pro is a Free gym membership(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for trainers, personal training session at the time were too expensive, disorganized at times(in 5 reviews)

• Hires non certified PT's, Poor Management, Poor flexibility with schedule, Non-existant training(in 4 reviews)

Great people, shortsighted leadership

General Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsExcellent environment to hone and develop sales and people skills. Fitness environments are always full of happy and energetic people and this is no exception.

ConsEach club runs fairly independently almost as its own ecosystem but General Managers have to contend with corporate leadership that changes company directions on a whim. Much like Orwell's "1984", you are told to embrace the new line of thought every few months and act like former directives never existed. Also, due to its past bankruptcies, job stability for management is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my time as a General Manager, I met three of the CEOs, each with a different vision and direction and one, in particular, who outright lied to the company about its direction. No wonder they have 10% of the clubs they did at their height a decade ago. Trust your troops in the field to manage the stores for maximum profitability and productivity instead of changing initiatives and direction ever quarter.

It was amazing work with the staff at Bally total fitness

Bally Total Fitness Sales (Current Employee) Cerritos, CA

ProsEasy money, good working environment.

ConsPressure sales, however they are understanding and work with you.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

horrible experience

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

Prosclub level employees care about what the do

ConsPoor technology. Poor benefits. Corporate office very disorganized. Upper management does not care at all about the employees. Every week someone was threatened with losing their job. Complete lack of communication other verbally threatening people in public settings. 14 hour days

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I disliked the internal politics of late payment to vendors. Many projects were stopped due to non-payment!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Towson, MD

ProsI don't remember too many good things. My 'office' was in a data room, my boss was racist (glad I matched her skin tone!)

ConsSee above. Difficult to do business with vendors because of non-payment. Difficult to work with Senior Management bent on milking customers on contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they got their advice when they were told to file Chapter 9.

Not too much vertical growth in the company.

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Beaverton, OR

ProsNice members, good management, very easy to learn skills of different departments.

ConsThe pay isn't great. The facilities have old equipment and are not kept in good shape.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more training seminars.

High Pressure Sales--Sketchy Tactics

Fitness Coach (Former Employee) North Hollywood, CA

Prosbase + commission, flexible hours, co-workers, free gym access

ConsCold calling, locking people into 3-year contracts, management,

Advice to Senior ManagementSell only 1 product. Don't have 50 different ways an individual can buy a membership. If someone wants to come to the gym they must pay a standard rate. Take out the negotiation/sales aspect and your employees and customers will be happy. Also, get rid of contracts if you haven't already--keep everything month to month.

Great education in sales, people skills, and motivation.

General Manager (Former Employee) Little Neck, NY

Prosyou will learn skills on motivating, selling, and team work.

Consa lot of emphasis on sales. not much on fitness.

Advice to Senior Managementremember TEAM work.

Decent environment to begin in a Health and Fitness related field.

Martial Arts Instructor (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsVery flexible staff. Free gym membership. A lot of easy going people who had similar interests as you. Not a very high stress job, even though you have to meet monthly revenue quotas. Great prices and deals offered a lot of the time. Family friendly.

ConsSome places are bad locations. As all customer service related jobs, you'll always have to deal with very difficult people. Sometimes the general system at headquarters was no updated, so you couldn't give your clients and members the proper information they were looking for.

Good Fitness Benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree club access, discounted merchandise

ConsCareless staff expects free shakes

History has a way of repeating itself...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe compensation was mediocre. Established great relationships with some amazing colleagues.

ConsPoor management of assets and various supplier contracts led to unnecessary hurdles. Real estate department was exceptionally poor in this area. Job security would be in question a good portion of the time even while exceeding revenue goals.

Worked for Bally Total Fitness? Contribute to the Community!