Baltimore City Public School System

Updated November 23, 2014
Updated November 23, 2014

Baltimore City Public School System CEO Tisha Edwards
Tisha Edwards

Pros
  • Great benefits and competitive salary (in 4 reviews)

• You get to aid some of the most needy kids you will find in such a city (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is also not the best (in 3 reviews)

• No support, hazardous working conditions, clueless administration (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice Place If You Want to Chill

Current Employee - Budget Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Budget Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Baltimore City Public School System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not too demanding. If you want a place where you can do straight 9-5 and not worry about getting fired .

Cons

Difficult to progress, not many opportunities for advancement - kind of a who you know type of thing.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Baltimore City Public School System full-time

Pros

There is an extremely supportive Administrative Staff here. They are all dedicated and welcome the input of the teachers and faculty members.

Cons

Very competitive interviews. You are interviewed by a panel of the faculty. A lot of people in front of you, but they want the best people they can find.

Better communication. However, it is because there is a lot of work each person does, so scheduling weekly meetings can be a problem because of the day to day school things that get in the way.

Flexible, dedicated, certified, Genreal Educator and Special Educator

Former Employee - Specil Educator/IEP Chair in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Specil Educator/IEP Chair in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

One of the best reasons I have for woring In Baltimore City Public Schools, was the chance to offer my skills and knowledge to give back to the community and help others.

Cons

One of the cons of my position was not having enough clerical support in the cassroom.

Good perks, unsupportive administrations

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary is great, especially the pay scale. The benefits are fantastic. The union is pretty strong and there are many opportunities to grow as a teacher

Cons

The PD needs some work. VERY monotonous and not very helpful. The school environments can be really tough and often it feels like administrations are unsupportive.

Try to attract better principals. You have a great system for keeping model teachers but not for principals. A model teacher is paid more than a principal! We have some terrible principals so make some changes!

I loved working with students and colleagues. Did not see eye to eye with administration and their approach.

Former Employee - High School Teacher in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - High School Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Students and teachers. Continued learning process

Cons

Too bureaucratic. Administration had very little interaction with front line teachers.

Let teachers do what they do best...TEACH!

Excessive emphasis on test scores, less so on actual student learning and retention.

Former Employee - High School Biology Teacher in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - High School Biology Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to aid some of the most needy kids you will find in such a city. When kids learn, they show it, and are proud of their accomplishments and it really warms the soul. As time goes on you really know what it means to have a 'blessed' day, even if you yourself don't believe. Many of the people there will make you be proud to be a teacher.

Cons

The school district, and administration itself has a near fatal case of tunnel vision. The tools and supports that are offered are inadequate to see the goal realized and many people have lost sight of genuine leadership. Many people simply look out for their own at a cost of the students.

Sacrifice your title and get in the muck with the rest of us. Stop focussing on PR stunts to make yourselves look good. Redirect that energy to addressing the genuine problems of the children. Don't allow the schools to become a temporary prison for children and emphasize student success and less so the test scores. Have genuine accountability towards poor behaving students and instead work on bringing up the middle performers and the top tier students as well.

Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The kids are amazing. They are the reason to stay in the system. They have so much potential. It also has pretty good benefits and a union.

Cons

There is so much micro management. The evaluation system is unrealistic and with part of the evaluation depending on the school's overall performance, it drives good teachers away from the schools that are most in need. The work life balance is also not the best. I regularly work 14 hour days and also do work on the weekends to make sure that I do the best that I can.

Let people observe others who are successful. Be lenient and understand that when working with kids, every day will not go perfectly. Teachers are constantly told to model explicitly, yet when new initiatives come in, there is often not enough training.

A lot of work to do, but they are making great strides.

Current Employee - Finance Lead in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Finance Lead in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Baltimore City Public School System as a contractor

Pros

They know they have a lot to do, and most are working very hard to make it happen to develop a quality Public School System.

Cons

There are many old outdated ideas that are hard to change, plus there is a funds issue. They do not have the appropriate funds needed to make the major changes

Work on non-financial incentives to keep the employees engaged. Make the workplace a great place to be.

Extremely Stressful

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great compensation and benefits,excellent training. I have wonderful support from parents/guardians., parent support.

Cons

Lack of support from Administration, work-life balance, unrealistic expectations

Please put the health and welfare (physical, emotional, and psychological as well as educational) of the student body, above the desire to make your school look good. To many academic and behavior issues are not addressed, and actually suppressed to give the appearance of a quality education. In fact, teachers are routinely blamed for most everything that occurs in their classroom. They are expected to be the remedy for the myriad of issues students bring to school, without adequate supports in place.

During my tenure with the city I was able to have tremendous growth and development and always had lots of support.

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and competitive salary

Cons

Finding the right fit with schools and personality

Incorporate additional ways for teachers to find the right school to be successful.