Baltimore City Public School System

Add Photos

Baltimore City Public School System CEO Tisha Edwards

Tisha Edwards

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A lot of work to do, but they are making great strides.

Finance Lead (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThey know they have a lot to do, and most are working very hard to make it happen to develop a quality Public School System.

ConsThere are many old outdated ideas that are hard to change, plus there is a funds issue. They do not have the appropriate funds needed to make the major changes

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on non-financial incentives to keep the employees engaged. Make the workplace a great place to be.

Teacher

Teacher, Elementary School (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe kids are amazing. They are the reason to stay in the system. They have so much potential. It also has pretty good benefits and a union.

ConsThere is so much micro management. The evaluation system is unrealistic and with part of the evaluation depending on the school's overall performance, it drives good teachers away from the schools that are most in need. The work life balance is also not the best. I regularly work 14 hour days and also do work on the weekends to make sure that I do the best that I can.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people observe others who are successful. Be lenient and understand that when working with kids, every day will not go perfectly. Teachers are constantly told to model explicitly, yet when new initiatives come in, there is often not enough training.

Extremely Stressful

Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat compensation and benefits,excellent training. I have wonderful support from parents/guardians., parent support.

ConsLack of support from Administration, work-life balance, unrealistic expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease put the health and welfare (physical, emotional, and psychological as well as educational) of the student body, above the desire to make your school look good. To many academic and behavior issues are not addressed, and actually suppressed to give the appearance of a quality education. In fact, teachers are routinely blamed for most everything that occurs in their classroom. They are expected to be the remedy for the myriad of issues students bring to school, without adequate supports in place.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

During my tenure with the city I was able to have tremendous growth and development and always had lots of support.

Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat benefits and competitive salary

ConsFinding the right fit with schools and personality

Advice to Senior ManagementIncorporate additional ways for teachers to find the right school to be successful.

You will be supervised by morons. Overly confident, pushy, unreasonable morons.

Teacher, Elementary School (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsMy coworkers were very supportive and the kids are great. It pays well and has decent benefits.

ConsThere chance of you working for someone who is not knowledgeable about curriculum, passive aggressive/ vindictive, incompetent, unorganized and out of touch with what is truly going on in your school is extremely high. Furthermore, people above them who are even more incompetent and out of touch with the realities of teaching will give you all kinds of things to do to prove that you are doing your job. Professional development is deplorable, the people who are supposed to be in support roles are more of an impediment to good teaching and the district will lose everything you turn into them so keep copies of EVERYTHING. If you are not working directly with children, the whole world revolves around data and all anyone will talk to you about is the data. Not whether the kid just witnessed someone get shot in their neighborhood, but what the data says about where they are. The parents are frustrating and combative at times and the district doesn't really allow suspensions anymore.

Advice to Senior Management1. Executive directors and higher ups should have more meetings and focus groups with teachers and take our input seriously about what kind of professional development we need, what will improve our instruction and whether we have an effective school administration. The school will live or die depending on the principal and the climate that he/she creates for students and staff.

2. Enough with the testing/data/more testing insanity. Teachers need time to teach and all this over testing is sucking the joy and creativity and learning out of school. If you really want to know if we are effective, come into our classrooms, often and talk to the kids. That will tell you way more than a bubble test.

3. Teachers need a way to appeal their observations/ evaluations because principals are far too subjective and are blatant about giving good evaluations to the people that they like. It's rampant. Your new evaluation system did nothing to fix that.

4. Recognize that it is the management that is causing teachers to leave the district and the profession in droves, sometimes not even waiting until the end of the year. Examine the district leadership and building administration to see what needs to be changed on that level before implementing a million new initiatives on the backs of teachers and paras that are supposed to improve instruction but really are just thinly veiled accountability tools.

5. Elementary/ Middle schools are a horrible thing for kids. Those middle school students on prek-8 campuses are not getting the kids of experiences that young adults need and other middle school students get, like clubs, sports, etc.

Some good, some unsatisfactory schools

Teacher, Secondary School (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat pay and benefits and other teachers

ConsMany schools have serious behavioral issues that are not addressed consistently

My experience with BCPSS has been interesting.

Computer Teacher (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe pros of working for BCPSS would be job security and a great opportunity to make a difference in children's lives.

ConsThere are a lot of political issues with BCPSS. There are a lot of individuals in the system for the wrong reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementCHANGE, CHANGE, CHANGE!!!

Dysfunction

Analyst (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe salaries at Baltimore City Public Schools are higher than competitors, and the benefits are very comprehensive.

ConsThere is limited training provided to employees, very little room for growth in my area, and a lack of leadership and strategic planning at the highest levels of leadership in the district.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization would function significantly better and achieve the mission much more effectively if planning was given priority, and things weren't constantly contributing to a cycle of last-minute scrambling.

One of the worst employment experiences I have ever had

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe salary is fine, but not enough to put up with what they will put you through.

ConsThe people, the majority have ill-intent, enjoy a "gang-mentality" and engage in gaslighting. If you are competent, well mannered, do your work properly and mind your business--you are a target. Do not work here if you have any integrity or character.

There primary goal is to undermine others to get ahead or for their own self amusement and do ANYTHING they can to get more state and federal funding (grants)--what a waste of taxpayer monies.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress problems when it arises instead of blaming everyone else.

Build the plane as you fly it.

Central Office Employee (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsSalaries are top notch, work can be rewarding at times, and, depending on your position, you can be anonymous.

ConsOne of the mow toxic work cultures I've ever been in. You never knows who is trying to undermine your work. Folks will forget this is a school system; their actions reflect this.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe okay with failure. You have nearly 40 years of a bad school system to repair. By yelling at your teams when a problem comes up, understand that your teams will fold more and more ways to hide the real issues from you.

Worked for Baltimore City Public School System? Contribute to the Community!