Baltimore City Public School System

2.7

Baltimore City Public School System CEO Tisha Edwards
Tisha Edwards

37 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A lot of work to do, but they are making great strides.

Current Employee - Finance Lead  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Finance Lead in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Baltimore City Public School System as a contractor

Pros

They know they have a lot to do, and most are working very hard to make it happen to develop a quality Public School System.

Cons

There are many old outdated ideas that are hard to change, plus there is a funds issue. They do not have the appropriate funds needed to make the major changes

Work on non-financial incentives to keep the employees engaged. Make the workplace a great place to be.

I loved working with students and colleagues. Did not see eye to eye with administration and their approach.

Former Employee - High School Teacher  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - High School Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Students and teachers. Continued learning process

Cons

Too bureaucratic. Administration had very little interaction with front line teachers.

Let teachers do what they do best...TEACH!

Excessive emphasis on test scores, less so on actual student learning and retention.

Former Employee - High School Biology Teacher  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - High School Biology Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to aid some of the most needy kids you will find in such a city. When kids learn, they show it, and are proud of their accomplishments and it really warms the soul. As time goes on you really know what it means to have a 'blessed' day, even if you yourself don't believe. Many of the people there will make you be proud to be a teacher.

Cons

The school district, and administration itself has a near fatal case of tunnel vision. The tools and supports that are offered are inadequate to see the goal realized and many people have lost sight of genuine leadership. Many people simply look out for their own at a cost of the students.

Sacrifice your title and get in the muck with the rest of us. Stop focussing on PR stunts to make yourselves look good. Redirect that energy to addressing the genuine problems of the children. Don't allow the schools to become a temporary prison for children and emphasize student success and less so the test scores. Have genuine accountability towards poor behaving students and instead work on bringing up the middle performers and the top tier students as well.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The kids are amazing. They are the reason to stay in the system. They have so much potential. It also has pretty good benefits and a union.

Cons

There is so much micro management. The evaluation system is unrealistic and with part of the evaluation depending on the school's overall performance, it drives good teachers away from the schools that are most in need. The work life balance is also not the best. I regularly work 14 hour days and also do work on the weekends to make sure that I do the best that I can.

Let people observe others who are successful. Be lenient and understand that when working with kids, every day will not go perfectly. Teachers are constantly told to model explicitly, yet when new initiatives come in, there is often not enough training.

Extremely Stressful

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great compensation and benefits,excellent training. I have wonderful support from parents/guardians., parent support.

Cons

Lack of support from Administration, work-life balance, unrealistic expectations

Please put the health and welfare (physical, emotional, and psychological as well as educational) of the student body, above the desire to make your school look good. To many academic and behavior issues are not addressed, and actually suppressed to give the appearance of a quality education. In fact, teachers are routinely blamed for most everything that occurs in their classroom. They are expected to be the remedy for the myriad of issues students bring to school, without adequate supports in place.

During my tenure with the city I was able to have tremendous growth and development and always had lots of support.

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits and competitive salary

Cons

Finding the right fit with schools and personality

Incorporate additional ways for teachers to find the right school to be successful.

My experience with BCPSS has been interesting.

Current Employee - Computer Teacher  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Computer Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Baltimore City Public School System as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The pros of working for BCPSS would be job security and a great opportunity to make a difference in children's lives.

Cons

There are a lot of political issues with BCPSS. There are a lot of individuals in the system for the wrong reasons.

CHANGE, CHANGE, CHANGE!!!

You will be supervised by morons. Overly confident, pushy, unreasonable morons.

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Baltimore City Public School System full-time

Pros

My coworkers were very supportive and the kids are great. It pays well and has decent benefits.

Cons

There chance of you working for someone who is not knowledgeable about curriculum, passive aggressive/ vindictive, incompetent, unorganized and out of touch with what is truly going on in your school is extremely high. Furthermore, people above them who are even more incompetent and out of touch with the realities of teaching will give you all kinds of things to do to prove that you are doing your job. Professional development is deplorable, the people who are supposed to be in support roles are more of an impediment to good teaching and the district will lose everything you turn into them so keep copies of EVERYTHING. If you are not working directly with children, the whole world revolves around data and all anyone will talk to you about is the data. Not whether the kid just witnessed someone get shot in their neighborhood, but what the data says about where they are. The parents are frustrating and combative at times and the district doesn't really allow suspensions anymore.

1. Executive directors and higher ups should have more meetings and focus groups with teachers and take our input seriously about what kind of professional development we need, what will improve our instruction and whether we have an effective school administration. The school will live or die depending on the principal and the climate that he/she creates for students and staff.

2. Enough with the testing/data/more testing insanity. Teachers need time to teach and all this over testing is sucking the joy and creativity and learning out of school. If you really want to know if we are effective, come into our classrooms, often and talk to the kids. That will tell you way more than a bubble test.

3. Teachers need a way to appeal their observations/ evaluations because principals are far too subjective and are blatant about giving good evaluations to the people that they like. It's rampant. Your new evaluation system did nothing to fix that.

4. Recognize that it is the management that is causing teachers to leave the district and the profession in droves, sometimes not even waiting until the end of the year. Examine the district leadership and building administration to see what needs to be changed on that level before implementing a million new initiatives on the backs of teachers and paras that are supposed to improve instruction but really are just thinly veiled accountability tools.

5. Elementary/ Middle schools are a horrible thing for kids. Those middle school students on prek-8 campuses are not getting the kids of experiences that young adults need and other middle school students get, like clubs, sports, etc.

Some good, some unsatisfactory schools

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay and benefits and other teachers

Cons

Many schools have serious behavioral issues that are not addressed consistently

Dysfunction

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Baltimore City Public School System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The salaries at Baltimore City Public Schools are higher than competitors, and the benefits are very comprehensive.

Cons

There is limited training provided to employees, very little room for growth in my area, and a lack of leadership and strategic planning at the highest levels of leadership in the district.

The organization would function significantly better and achieve the mission much more effectively if planning was given priority, and things weren't constantly contributing to a cycle of last-minute scrambling.

Worked for Baltimore City Public School System? Contribute to the Community!