Baltimore Gas and Electric

Add Photos

Ken DeFontes Jr.

Great Company!!!

Designer Ll (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsBG& E is a great place to work. They offer a great health care plan with reasonable employee contributions. The 401K plan is diverse and they also match a percentage. The tuition reimbursement is a great thing to take advantage of and they strongly encourage anyone to take classes and to move around in the company. The culture is very diverse with numerous resource groups to make everyone feel comfortable.

ConsI don't have any challenges here.

Customer Relations Specialist

Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsClose to home
    Easy work
    Friendly atmosphere

ConsPoor work life balance
    Work hours change frequently
    Pay is low for the position you have
    Poor training

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need to be more hands on an accountable for the reps

Very professional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA very structured environment. Innovate

ConsThe company needs to be more innovative and forward thinking in their approach to staffing and recruiting, Recruiting techniques were a little antiquated.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation. Get LinkedIn

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work but better if you are in a clique

Field Support (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsSteady valuable work that makes a difference to community

Consthe Nepotism capitol of Baltimore

Advice to Senior ManagementLook further than pals and diversity for

An excellent career opportunity.

Senior Designer (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsExperience the best of employee benefits.

ConsMany previous values have changed since since new management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot the old line Baltimore style of management.

A great stable company to begin your career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat company, great benefits , and great people. a great place for a career

Conssometimes develop little cliques , I really have no negative things to say

Amazing

Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsFlex Hours, Safety, Welcoming Enviroment.

ConsNeed to involve Interns Better.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake Interns have more roles in the company

Terrible for Engineers

Engineer III (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsRank & file employees are great to work with.

ConsBGE does a poor job of developing engineers. They tend to pigeon-hole the young engineers, so that they can't go anywhere. Also, merit doesn't matter. You will only advance if you know the right people (like most places).In addition, Management doesn't have a clue to mesh modern business practices with day-to-day activities of keeping the lights on and the gas flowing.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many chiefs and not enough Indians. A lot of the middle management is expendable and a hindrance to getting work done

I loved my career experience at Baltimore Gas & Electric until...

Human Resources Consultant (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThere is a ton of room for great growth if you're assigned to a leader who believes in his or her staff and want you to be successful. The pay and benefits are amazing. Employees across the board treat each other like good friends & family.

ConsCorporate policies can be horrible in every company not this just one. Working under the direction of a manager who does not care for you makes work-life difficult. It was my first time in corporate roll like this. I made a mistake knew I couldn't talk to my HR Director about it. I'm not one to point fingers, I too was at fault and have learned a value lesson that never happen again.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement holds to key to making the employee experience a great one to remember and brag about.

BGE (Baltimore Gas & Electric Co.)

Senior Administrative Assistance (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsBGE serves central MD and is one of the nation's earliest electric & the 1st gas utility. They have a long history of stability and community involvement, and the employees take pride in and are committed to BGE (which has always been and remains union-free).

ConsBGE's upper management has gotten away from its team-oriented approach and has put lofty goals ahead of the welfare of its work force. Organizationally, the individual business units operate independently, without an understanding of the roles and functions of the other units, so often they are at loggerheads and do not see the whole picture. while they publicly talk about innovation and "thinking outside the box", they do not empower their employees to be creative, or even proactive, and anyone who does not toe the company line is regarded as not a team player. Also, the company doesn't place much emphasis on training or career advancement of amployees (other than engineers). They use questionable performance management and evaluation practices that are inconsistently and/or selectively applied.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in your staff of dedicated, long-time employees and give them the development tools and lattitude to contribute to the company's success.

Worked for Baltimore Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!