Baltimore Gas and Electric

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ken DeFontes Jr.

Very professional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Baltimore Gas and Electric

ProsA very structured environment. Innovate

ConsThe company needs to be more innovative and forward thinking in their approach to staffing and recruiting, Recruiting techniques were a little antiquated.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation. Get LinkedIn

Good place to work but better if you are in a clique

Field Support (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Baltimore Gas and Electric full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSteady valuable work that makes a difference to community

Consthe Nepotism capitol of Baltimore

Advice to Senior ManagementLook further than pals and diversity for

An excellent career opportunity.

Senior Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Baltimore Gas and Electric full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExperience the best of employee benefits.

ConsMany previous values have changed since since new management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot the old line Baltimore style of management.

A great stable company to begin your career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Baltimore Gas and Electric full-time

Prosgreat company, great benefits , and great people. a great place for a career

Conssometimes develop little cliques , I really have no negative things to say

Amazing

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Baltimore Gas and Electric as an intern for more than a year

ProsFlex Hours, Safety, Welcoming Enviroment.

ConsNeed to involve Interns Better.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake Interns have more roles in the company

Terrible for Engineers

Engineer III (Former Employee)

I worked at Baltimore Gas and Electric full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRank & file employees are great to work with.

ConsBGE does a poor job of developing engineers. They tend to pigeon-hole the young engineers, so that they can't go anywhere. Also, merit doesn't matter. You will only advance if you know the right people (like most places).In addition, Management doesn't have a clue to mesh modern business practices with day-to-day activities of keeping the lights on and the gas flowing.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many chiefs and not enough Indians. A lot of the middle management is expendable and a hindrance to getting work done

I loved my career experience at Baltimore Gas & Electric until...

Human Resources Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Baltimore Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is a ton of room for great growth if you're assigned to a leader who believes in his or her staff and want you to be successful. The pay and benefits are amazing. Employees across the board treat each other like good friends & family.

ConsCorporate policies can be horrible in every company not this just one. Working under the direction of a manager who does not care for you makes work-life difficult. It was my first time in corporate roll like this. I made a mistake knew I couldn't talk to my HR Director about it. I'm not one to point fingers, I too was at fault and have learned a value lesson that never happen again.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement holds to key to making the employee experience a great one to remember and brag about.

BGE (Baltimore Gas & Electric Co.)

Senior Administrative Assistance (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

ProsBGE serves central MD and is one of the nation's earliest electric & the 1st gas utility. They have a long history of stability and community involvement, and the employees take pride in and are committed to BGE (which has always been and remains union-free).

ConsBGE's upper management has gotten away from its team-oriented approach and has put lofty goals ahead of the welfare of its work force. Organizationally, the individual business units operate independently, without an understanding of the roles and functions of the other units, so often they are at loggerheads and do not see the whole picture. while they publicly talk about innovation and "thinking outside the box", they do not empower their employees to be creative, or even proactive, and anyone who does not toe the company line is regarded as not a team player. Also, the company doesn't place much emphasis on training or career advancement of amployees (other than engineers). They use questionable performance management and evaluation practices that are inconsistently and/or selectively applied.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in your staff of dedicated, long-time employees and give them the development tools and lattitude to contribute to the company's success.

Love my job -- work independently - challenging work both mentally and physically

Service Operator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baltimore Gas and Electric

ProsLarge company with many different departments -- I have a clear path of advancement in electric distribution - salary very competitive with industry and cost of living

Conspossibility of working 12-16 hour days during shift coverage or storm restoration -- always a risk of injury when working with high voltage

Electric Supply

Electric Supply Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baltimore Gas and Electric

ProsThere is definitely a work life balance and a very flexible work schedule. The atmosphere is very relaxed and not pressure filled.

ConsI do not think there is a clear path for advancement and management does not layout the steps necessary to get to the next level. There is also not enough mentoring on the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBGE needs to find a way to maintain young talent. The current structure makes it difficult to learn about other areas in the business.

Worked for Baltimore Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baltimore Gas and Electric reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Baltimore Gas and Electric CEO Ken DeFontes Jr. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Baltimore Gas and Electric employees.