Baltimore Life

Updated September 8, 2014
2.8

David K. Ficca
1 Rating

Great company, very flexible and great culture. Small amount of employees so the work can be alot for one person

I have been working at Baltimore Life

Cons

In the end, terrible company to work for.

Former Employee - Agent
    Former Employee - Agent

I worked at Baltimore Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-The only redeeming quality for this company that I found was friendly and helpful home office personnel. You were able to communicate directly with underwriting dept. regarding an insurance application or with any questions for a potential case.
    -Also, able to work from home 4 days per week.

Cons

-Commission only and low pay to start.
    -Cannot access commission until after 18th week.
    -Micromanagement when poorly performing...even when working from home.
    -Very difficult tracking systems - viewing pending policies, no communication with new business. Applications could just sit there.
    -New applications disappear in new business. Replaced 2 policies internally and was never contacted with instructions on additional forms needed. I actually advised client to go with another company as I did not have nor could not get a clear explanation.
    -Employee health insurance rates VERY high.
    -Requested information on becoming an independent agent after expressing my decision to resign. Office manager never once contacted afterwards with that information...in fact, never from manager until below instance several months later.
    -Threatened a court order for not returning laptop computer. (Computer was supposed to be payroll deducted--therefore my property--, but office manager forgot to set it up. One year later, never admitted to not having done that.)
    -Management never confronted me after deciding to resign, only text messages. Not the way I prefer to do business. I expected more from management.
    -Overall, a very strange and disappointing experience. Financial services is a great industry to work in, yet this put such a bad taste in my mouth that I'd never again go back into it.

No advice, but from the above complaints, it should be clear as to what needs to be addressed/changed.

Very Micromanaged in PA

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Baltimore Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits and good products

Cons

Micromanagement the agents tightly because of them paying a stipend for the 18 weeks of training. Company is known as a swap shop where they bring in employees and fire them then bring in a couple more. Company is tight with their money and employees pay for things on their own. If you want a long career it will not be here.

Stop Micromanaging the heck out of the agents and if you want good morale in the offices then allow agents to enjoy their jobs.

Over promised under compensated

I worked at Baltimore Life

Pros

A lot of training and interaction with other agents. Allowed you to share ideas and grow your business. Management is very friendly and try to see you succeed in almost an impossible marketplace.

Cons

$300 a week in gas to make all required appointments. Company has a bad rap in the area for allowing so many Universal Life policies to fail. Once training period is over, they kind of forget about you. Just being 19 weeks into your career, it can be easy to lose direction of your business.

STOP TRYING TO SIGN UP EVERYONE'S FAMILY AND FRIENDS AS SOON AS THEY START.