Baltimore Sun Media Group
www.baltimoresun.com Baltimore, MD 1000 to 5000 Employees

Baltimore Sun Media Group Reviews

Updated May 15, 2014
Baltimore Sun Media Group – US – “Logo view from front of building”

Baltimore Sun Media Group President Timothy Ryan

Timothy Ryan

10 yrs in Finance.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours. Good benefits. Intelligent management.

ConsBankruptcy. No promotions in department in 7 yrs. No annual raises in 4 yrs. Constant cost cutting.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe state of the print industry is what it is. I can't imagine it being a field of pursuit for anyone other than writers. The leadership works hard and is very intelligent. Their hands are tied. It isn't working anywhere in America.

Great Experience

Marketing Analyst (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsVery excellent place to work for. The personnel there are wonderful and helpful.

ConsThe newspaper business is dying and unfortunately they are laying off people right and left.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation is great. Benefits are typical. HR people don't know what they are doing.

The position was challenging and fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat team spirit. Great people to work with.

ConsAdvertising sales is declining and they are laying off people.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sinking ship

ProsCan't think of any.

ConsPlace is a disaster.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has little control. Corporate taking over and micromanaging.

Very disorganized.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule, uncapped commissions, many different publications and ad options to sell.

ConsVery inconsistent. Some employees were paid salary, others commission only. Prices were never consistent.
    Training was classroom training only, no hands on training in the field.
    Sales reps stepping on each other's toes.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide hands on training, and train on how to price out packages.

Once Proud, Now Struggling

Design Editor (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsMy co-workers were some of the most brilliant, creative and talented people I've ever known. It was a priviledge to work with them.

ConsThe Tribune purchase started things going downhill. Then the full force of the Internet hit, killing ad revenue, which got worse after the financial crisis and Sam Zell. The lack of resources, both human and otherwise, has put a strain on the survivors and degraded the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell to a local buyer before you do any more damage.

Nice people.

Freelance (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsFor a small town, old school newspaper, the pay is pretty good and the people are nice.

ConsIt's a small town, old school newspaper.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice.

Unstable Company

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsFun place to work, the pulse of Baltimore; Offered employee incentives, perks: it's an established name in Baltimore

ConsUnstable, low pay/commissions, manager was difficult to find sometimes and unprofessional, lacked guidance, prices to high for market/economy/state of the newspaper/magazine industry

Advice to Senior ManagementNurture who you have, and invest in them!! Offer competitive salaries/commissions with ATTAINABLE goals

Baltimore Sun Media Group is like a family business.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou can make lasting friendships. Some have even met his/her spouse there. Generally good, hard working people find their way to the Sun.

ConsVision and future of company and newspaper industry, digital included, is uncertain. This translates to lack of opportunity for those who really want to grow skill sets and advance. You can get good experience there, cut your teeth so to speak but then you'll need to leave. Leave for better pay, pay that let's you move out of your parent's house, and more opportunity. My general opinion is you have a job at BSMG not a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent. If never hurts no matter how much you are afraid it will.

I love my job in media sales!

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsEvery day is different and I get to work with lots of fun and interesting people and businesses. Lot's of freedom, as long as I am doing my job, sales managers leave me alone- yet they are available if I need assistance with a problem or a client. Lots of great products to offer customers- products work well and are easy to get passionate about. The new director of retail advertising is great- knows what she is doing and is very motivating and fair. overall pay is good- base salary is a little low ($30's) but commissions are good and I have had some very good months- no cap on commissions. 1st few years made in the $60's now make $85,000 plus.

ConsParts of our business are in decline (newspaper) and while we do have a lot of other options to offer our advertisers- You hear it every day "nobody reads the newspaper"... which is far from true- but it's he number one objection. company needs to move more quickly to repackage products to changing times. Training needs to be more focused on actual field experiences- not just reviewing products and who is the best audience for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out and meet with customers more. Simplify, simplify, simplify/combine (order process/ communication/marketing). We have so much- it gets overwhelming to sales people and customers. Do some reputation mgmt and promote our brand- geez, we sell that service to our customers- the reviews on this site are obviously people we let go . It is not perfect- but I am happy and would recommend to my friends to work here.

Worked for Baltimore Sun Media Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baltimore Sun Media Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Baltimore Sun Media Group CEO Timothy Ryan. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by Baltimore Sun Media Group employees.