Banana Republic Reviews

Reset
3.4
Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • 50 % employee discount on full priced items (in 111 reviews)

• Great discount on full price clothing (in 109 reviews)

Cons
  • They are soo pushy with credit cards (in 99 reviews)

• retail you really don't have a work life balance (in 22 reviews)

1. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Natick, MA

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Banana Republic was a great company to work for. The leadership in my store was top notch.

Cons

No real negatives to the job and/or store. The leadership really was great, and that's what most people grip about in retail.

Advice to Management

Nothing to advise. Management was great, and even the District management was great. Always friendly.

2. Brand Ambassador- Banana Republic

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Boston, MA

I have been working at Banana Republic (More than a year)

Pros

The team of brand ambassadors become like a family, and support each other in all regards. Many employees have worked there for years.

Cons

Sometimes the way the store is managed has been sloppy, leaders should all be on the same page at the same time.

Advice to Management

Less bias towards perceived favorites, and more communication between all of you, to minimize employee confusion.

3. Depends on the store

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good staff
    The area
    Ability to grow within the company
    They will work wth you if you need time off

Cons

The customers!!!!
    The managers you get depends on what area your in, so you can get good or bad managers.
    Favoritism!! You want to grow in the company? Let's hope you're one of the favorite associates to get the customer experience lead position and hope to move up from there!
    Transferring: if you say how you feel about the work place or how you're treated, good luck with that transfer you wanted. They're very picky about doing them too.
    Not as flexible as I would wish it would it. Especially for college students. Expect to close a lot if you're a student; but if you get morning shifts they're either really long or really short.
    Under staffed: some stores get very short staffed much to everyone's annoyance and the managers take the frustration out on the employees and it's not a good environment.

Advice to Management

PLEASE LISTEN TO HOW YOUR EMPLOYEES FEEL! If they don't like something or feel like you're not doing enough; step in and fix it!! Especially when it comes to sexual harassment or discrimination in the workplace! You guys work very slow in those areas and the staff end up leaving or transferring and that person who caused those issues ends up staying!

5. Overall positive experience.

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts, positive work environment (great in store management and coworkers), socially conscious company, flexible hours, easy to request time off in short amounts of time.

Cons

There aren't many cons to working here besides difficult customers, somewhat monotonous work and having to hit credit card opening goals.

Advice to Management

The style of clothes has changed rapidly over the past few years and they've been slow to react to the market. Recently they hired a new designer and are looking to change that.

6. MPL

Current Employee - Merchandise Presentation Lead in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Presentation Lead in Boston, MA

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome discount across all of the Gap Inc brands. Company is very focused on internal hiring for open positions.

Cons

No bonus incentives in effect as of 2015. Other cons are mostly based on a team by team basis. Pressure to sign customers up for brand credit card.

7. Depends on your location

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

there is room to grow, however, it doesnt matter how long youve been there. someone that has been there for only 5 months has just became a manager at my store and works less than me yet ive been there for 2 years and work my butt off for them(working the max 45 hours) and havent been offered anything.
    the discount is pretty good.

Cons

again, depends on your area, your management team can be complete crap.
    time off request during the holidays have to be done months ahead.

Advice to Management

hire people who arent lazy,rude,and just dont show up for work. have a manager that can actually make a decent schedule with a good amount of employees to cover breaks and when people are leaving.

8. Not much room for improvement

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wrentham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wrentham, MA

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My managers were incredibly nice, and took my schedule into account for a certain amount of time. The discount is EXCELLENT which is a huge perk. I loved interacting with customers. The nicer you are to them, the nicer they are to you. My managers were available to handle any issues that came up. The store was very close (sometimes it felt as if managers played favorites).

Cons

The only type of recognition that you got would be your name on a board in the lounge. Even though they took my schedule into consideration, certain managers were only flexible with me for a little while. When other obligations came up and my schedule conflicted, they didn't give a realistic way to accommodate me. (Ex. I ask for a day off because of a competition, and they would schedule me for that day, and tell me to find coverage). Pay isn't great. Selling credit cards (which have horrible interest rates etc.) to customers feels bad.

Advice to Management

The employees need to be educated about the opportunities to advance. They need to know about the many programs offered. Sometimes it feels as if management is only interacting with employees when something bad goes on, instead of to reinforce the good. I don't like rewards based on contests and things that like, because there are too many random variables in place. We should be compensated more, because there is a bit of knowledge associated with the job.

9. The only upside was the great discounts

Former Employee - Store Associate in Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Braintree, MA

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee discounts at Banana and all related stores. Can be fun at times if you like fashion or need a high school job.

Cons

The "on-call" policy is absolutely ridiculous, be ready to work more hours than expected to cover for people who don't show up and giving employees reviews based on how many Banana credit cards you get people to sign up for, rather than the amount of actual clothing you sell makes no sense.

Advice to Management

Focus should be on selling the merchandise and giving customers a good store experience, rather than Banana credit cards (which most regular customers already have).

10. Best Retail Company to work for!

Current Employee - Sale Associate in Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Sale Associate in Salem, NH

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Fantastic brand. Great coworkers.

Cons

Hours vary. Holidays are busy times. Can spend more than you make.

11. Banana Republic Cashier Specialist

Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Wrentham, MA
    Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Wrentham, MA

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great discount
    great cultural environment
    good location

Cons

outsource a lot
    poor raises
    no chance to move up in management

Advice to Management

don't play favorites with employees

Showing 22 of 1,169 reviews