Banana Republic

Banana Republic Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun

Jack Calhoun

Pros:
  • "Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap)"
    in 96 reviews
  • "Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies)"
    in 88 reviews
Cons:
  • "Management heavily pushes the credit card because they have a quota too meet for each day"
    in 78 reviews
  • "Very competitive among sales associates fighting over potential card holders"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Absolute worst company to work for

I have been working at Banana Republic

ProsThe discount and meeting a few good people is about the only pros.

ConsUseless management,lack of moral,tons of thievery,company doesn't truly care about its employees,they want you to bend over backwards for less the minimum wage. Place is just a joke all the way around! Especially the store in Brooklyn heights #8081

Advice to Senior ManagementClear the board start from scratch,bring banana back to what it could and used to be!

sales associate

New Orleans, LA

I worked at Banana Republic part-time for less than a year

ProsGood products, good people, big store.

ConsOnly part-time jobs are required

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice

Bad system/culture

I worked at Banana Republic part-time

ProsAn OK part-time job for teenagers. The customers were really sweet and patient during the busy holiday rush, and put up with you trying to sell the store credit card to them. The work is easy and you're kept busy, but the time passes very slowly.

ConsHave to push sh!tty store credit card on customers and meet impossible goals, or get sent to a "Boot Camp", a punishment where you go to work at 7am (very early if you must commute). Managers think you're being lazy when you're doing your best to return clothes, and will snarkily say so. If you're sick, suck it up and cough all over the customer instead of calling out. Manager will not do their job and seek a replacement, but will force you to. Terrible scheduling too. They will schedule you for 3 hour shifts and put you on call.

Coworkers and managers are very snobby, as though they've attained an amazing job that everyone else must want. Unpleasant to work with.

Sh!ttiest. Discounts. Ever. 50% discounts on extremely overpriced Banana clothing is far too low. At least you get discounts at Old Navy and Gap. Managers are very lazy at setting up your account for you to get discounts anyway.

And annoying Christmas music that loops and drives you crazy. It's not even classic Christmas music, but "hip" remixes that sound extremely stupid.

Very bad culture in general. There was a flier in the break room about the Bangladesh factory fires, and what we're supposed to say in response to anyone who asks. Basically, "Sorry, we'll try to improve but not really." Selling clothes that are from these factories is not a fulfilling or fun thing to do. I'm sure many other clothing companies do this, but Banana (owned by Gap) marks the clothing up like crazy, claims it's quality, and does not give a sh!t about factory workers, or any of its employees for that matter.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They were fun people to work with but something I would do for a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Banana Republic

Prosflexible with scheduling
great employee discount (50%)

ConsThe pay wasn't that great for a company that expects so much for you to dress up to their standards. For a guy like me it was very annoying to have to pay for dry cleaning in order to always look sharp for work.

Environment Varies Greatly Store to Store

Merchandise Presentation Supervisor (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAmazing coworkers, respectable company practices, discount, easy to move up when you have a great attitude and decent work ethic.

ConsHours are very intense, many 10-12 hour days. Days off change weekly, time of day worked changes daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have worked in 4 different locations and the experience in every store is different. Many long days and overnights in high volume stores. Go in as a shopper to get a feel for environment!

Store visits from upper management require INTENSE payroll to get the store looking amazing. If you want to store to look how it looks when you visit, increase payroll so that it can be maintained!

Last year, store managers were forced to work all major holidays. Years past, we have rotated among managers having different holidays off. There was a corporate message stating time off requests were blacked out for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. Unacceptable.

Banana Republic

Visual Specialist (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSupport of teammates, Healthcare, 401K

Conshard-headed management, accountability was on only a few associates shoulders, not the entire team

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at San Antonio's management skills

It was great

Katy, TX

I worked at Banana Republic part-time for more than 5 years

ProsEverthing was great and amazing

ConsIt was a great company

Advice to Senior ManagementGod job

best Banana Republic store to work if your looking for few hours and extra cash

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
North Wales, PA

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time for less than a year

Proslocation, great customers friendly staff, awesome management

Consno hours, low pay, difficult advancement oppurtunities

Probably one of the most fulfilling retail experiences you can find yourself in!

Cashier (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time for less than a year

ProsI REALLY love my job. I've met a diverse spectrum of individuals—coworkers, one-time, and long-time customers. Gap holds high standards for making sure their employees are in good hands. Their benefits are a HUGE turn-on and their worldly responsibility is the best I've seen. Banana Republic is a sophisticated label that offers modern take on timeless fashion. There's a huge advantage to working at Banana over another Gap brand: you learn how to dress down from elevated styles. (It's easier to learn how to dress down at Banana than how to dress up at Old Navy.) This is because Banana has 3 main styles—work, casual, and in-between-style—where as Old Navy mainly has casual styles.

ConsRetail is trying when your coworkers aren't trying the way you are, yet they still make the same as you...I guess that's the same at any job though. Hours can be exhausting and tend to work against your life, but they aren't so bad as long as you know what strings to pull. You will have to repeat yourself a lot, so get used to saying "I can take the next guest! How are you today? Did you find everything alright? Are you shopping with a Banana Rewards Card?" Almost everyone has one piece if BR in their closet because of it's quality, however, it seems like quality is sometimes sacrificed for the means of quantity, which tends to lead to fairly upset customers. Be prepared to face them and without backup and try to keep them pleased with the brand. That tends to create a grey area between keeping customers happy and maintaing policy, which is surprisingly more stressful than one would think. The biggest frustration I have with Banana is their computers are stuck in the Stone Age, which makes it easy to waste time and create tension when checking out customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementUPDATE THE CASH REGISTERS—it's like they're from 78 or something. More-frequent product knowledge seminars for employees during their regular work hours. (Booklets just don't cut it.) Use a little less money on advertising and contribute it to updating the stores to the fullest quality so that employees are proud of their brand and customers are excited about their experience.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

sale associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Sunrise, FL

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time for more than a year

Prosits a good place to work part time if your in high school or college

Consmid day shifts a boring

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing the good work

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banana Republic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Banana Republic CEO Jack Calhoun. All 686 reviews posted anonymously by Banana Republic employees.