Banana Republic

Banana Republic Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun

Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap)(in 101 reviews)

• Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies)(in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing credit cards is the only thing corporate is worried about(in 86 reviews)

• Employee raises were given once a year, but they cap sales associates in the Factory Stores at(in 38 reviews)

Micro Management, and Cruddy Pay

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Hershey, PA

ProsThe people are great, the discount is great (35% factor store, 50% full retail)

ConsManagers forget to tell you to go on breaks, there were a few shifts where they completely forgot to send me on break (although I reminded them). I worked there for 2 years and was supposed to get an employee review and raise yearly- but I was skipped along with coworkers.

They give you phrases to specifically use with customers, so 4 of us sales associates are greeting the same customer with the same phrases.

All they care about is credit cards, I was often called out on the radio if I was talking to a customer and ordered to haggle them about opening our credit card by a manager.

Poor Management!!!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Los Gatos, CA

ProsGreat discount and great customers with their adorable dogs.

ConsHIGH SCHOOL DRAMA!!! From management to sales associates. No communication and lack professionalism. Favoritism and No Advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with each other and have an agreement across the board. This way you'll have a better turn out as a team.

Decent work environment.

Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsThe management team is considerate.

ConsDepending on the role one is working in, schedules change weekly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a friendly work environment with great coworkers.

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe discounts are great especially since this brand's perks also work with old navy and the gap. additionally, the supervisors were always helpful and encouraging when making sales. there are incentives for pushing for the store cards as well.

Conscan be a con to some, but the pay was not commission based. so regardless of how much i sold i did not receive a higher/lower pay. in my case, it was not good since i easily made sales

Advice to Senior Managementpay raise

Good, but not Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMerchandise discount across all brands
    Clothing
    Relationships with Coworkers
    Sales

ConsWork-life balance
    Unfair wages
    Disconnect between management and staff

Flexible hours, awful pay, and no benefits.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsThe employee discount is higher than the industry standard and can be used across Gap Inc owned companies, which is nice. You aren't required to wear Banana Republic clothing, though the dress code varies greatly by store: my store was very relaxed, whereas other stores in the are a lot stricter.
    The hours are flexible and they tend to work around your availability.
    Like most retail stores there are slow months, so you can expect to work anywhere from 15 hours a week to 40 depending on the month and your availability.

ConsPromotions are hard to come by unless you play the game and know the right people--it's all about politics with this company. Raises are capped at .25 a year, and you're supposed to get a review every six months with the possibility of a raise--yet my store manager didn't believe in them so what you got hired at was basically what you stayed at. In addition to that, the pay is lower than most other retail stores.
    There are no benefits offered to part time employees aside from the discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities to move up within the company instead to just offering the same people more promotions.

Banana Cards, Banana Cards, Banana Cards!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFast-paced work environment, friendly coworkers, regular guests, & generous employee discount.

ConsThe biggest con of working for Banana Republic is that getting customers to sign up for credit cards is prioritized over merchandise sales. So much so that work hours have a direct relationship with each employee's yield of customer signers.

Poor management and lack of flexibility

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Livermore, CA

ProsGreat benefits between all the Gap Inc. brands and great employees working for the company

ConsThe store has a very high turnover of sales associates which is frustrating. Managers repeatedly scheduled me as well as other team members for days and times they are unavailable, refusing to respect personal obligations outside of the organization (school, work etc).Overall very poor and limited communication served with a side of attitude. If you are looking for a fun flexible environment, this would not be the store to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training for store managers.

Good brand

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility in hours, good discount across brands

ConsNo advancement or promotions, few rotations

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employees equally

Great Managers

Stock Associate (Current Employee) North Charleston, SC

ProsGreat Managers, 30% discount on clothes and any gap affiliated store ie:banana republic, gap, athletica

Conspart time pay thats it

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!