Banana Republic

Banana Republic Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun

Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap)(in 101 reviews)

• Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies)(in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing credit cards is the only thing corporate is worried about(in 86 reviews)

• Employee raises were given once a year, but they cap sales associates in the Factory Stores at(in 38 reviews)

Very repetitive, but anyone that doesn't like change in goals, this is good for them.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of hours. Since the company is wealthy they always give you the maximum amount of hours possible so you won't be broke for sure. Very warm and welcoming vibe.

ConsIf your availability is TOO open, you will most definitely be doing closing shifts at least 3-4 times a week, plus weekends. The shifts were super long which can be cons for some workers. Huge favoritism in the Rockefeller Center location.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEvery single person I have ever worked with, including managers, has been amazing. I loved the work environment. I would strongly recommend working here.

ConsMaybe just standing all day - but it's far better than sitting at a desk.

Advice to Senior ManagementGroom great employees for a future with the company to keep them there.

Great for retail

ProsManagement is top- notch, friendly and experienced

ConsMundane and tedious work, as is usually the case withretail

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good but not the best.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe discount is fantastic! You get an unlimited discount of 75% off for yourself and unlimited 50% off for friends and family in Banana Republic and Gap! The discount is probably the best thing about the job. Also, the staff are very friendly, management aren't rude or aggressive. The clothes are very nice and the atmosphere of the shop is very sophisticated and elevated- as well as the customers.

ConsI feel that the management are quite fake, the company some what promotes and encourages over enthusiasm and optimism even when people are not up for it, leading to very two faced personalities. Also, the store can be very quiet at times and time goes very slowly- however this depends on what store you work in. Also, sometimes we are encouraged to be too clingy to customers and it is annoying for both customers and staff. Management have very high expectations for customer service but do not follow through with their own advice. VERY unstable hours, hours are always given outside of my availability.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the company guidelines to be the brand but do not let it overshadow your own personality. Do not ask us to be a particular way or set a specific standard if you are not following through with it yourself.

Ok, just ok.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

ProsGreat company to work for, awesome discount, benefits and people are great.

ConsTwo cons I have is there's not a lot of room to move up in the company. If you have been working there for a while it'll be forever till you can get promoted, it took 4 years for me. Seems unfair to work so hard for nothing ; and there is little to no training your thrown into battle almost right away.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more feedback, positive and negative, promotions or employee benefits like prizes by doing contests or something

Flexible hours, awful pay, and no benefits.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsThe employee discount is higher than the industry standard and can be used across Gap Inc owned companies, which is nice. You aren't required to wear Banana Republic clothing, though the dress code varies greatly by store: my store was very relaxed, whereas other stores in the are a lot stricter.
    The hours are flexible and they tend to work around your availability.
    Like most retail stores there are slow months, so you can expect to work anywhere from 15 hours a week to 40 depending on the month and your availability.

ConsPromotions are hard to come by unless you play the game and know the right people--it's all about politics with this company. Raises are capped at .25 a year, and you're supposed to get a review every six months with the possibility of a raise--yet my store manager didn't believe in them so what you got hired at was basically what you stayed at. In addition to that, the pay is lower than most other retail stores.
    There are no benefits offered to part time employees aside from the discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities to move up within the company instead to just offering the same people more promotions.

okay

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI Loved the discount and clothes

Conspay was terrible and management was condescending

Advice to Senior ManagementTry being nice for a change

Very enjoyable place to work

Cashier Lead (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsDiscount is definitely a plus. Great people to work with. They offer a very generous work/life balance. You get rewarded in numerous ways for your contributions.

ConsAlthough most people might think of this is a con (stressful when busy) its the nature of the position. You are in a sales position and this happens from time to time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Good, but not Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMerchandise discount across all brands
    Clothing
    Relationships with Coworkers
    Sales

ConsWork-life balance
    Unfair wages
    Disconnect between management and staff

Brand Ambassador

ProsGreat work/life balance. Discount is amazing

ConsCurrent pay is below industry standard

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!