Banana Republic Reviews

Reset
3.5
Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • 50 % employee discount on full priced items (in 111 reviews)

• Great discount on full price clothing (in 109 reviews)

Cons
  • They are soo pushy with credit cards (in 99 reviews)

• retail you really don't have a work life balance (in 22 reviews)

1,290 Employee Reviews

1. Gotta love Club BR!

Current Employee - Visual Specialist in Hurst, TX
    Current Employee - Visual Specialist in Hurst, TX

Pros

If you like fashion then you will love Banana Republic. Great people, usually. The environment is very fun and laid back most of the time. Gap inc. in general dose a lot of great community work. We always have a box in the back room for goodwill. But perhaps one of the best things is the freaking awesome music they play and the 50% discount.

Cons

In my experience I've found that several individuals believe that they are better than you, so to speak. They can be very phony and fake. Extremly transparent. Most of the time it is managers that act like this. I know several people within the company who have busted their butts and are still in the same place they were when they started.

Advice to Management

Use me for what I'm actually supposed to be doing. If I'm the Visual Specialist then please let me do my job!!! Don't just give little tasks to keep me busy.

2. Banana provides moderate pay, a great work environment, and excellent bennies.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

Pros

The company is a fair place to work. The employees are treated well. It is easy to get time off. It is not that stressful of a place to work most of the time with the exception of big visits and the holiday season. The clothing discount is really great.

Cons

The hours can be rough. If it is your main job, you never have a constant schedule, though some people like that. There isn't a lot of individuality. It is a major corp., so they dictate everything from what type of piercing is allowed to your hair color.

Advice to Management

While consistency is important, you should try to operate in reality. Sometimes the visual directions the company wants to execute doesn't flow from the concept book to each individual store. Not all stores are created equal.

3. Interview Question

Former Employee - Sales Support in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Support in New York, NY

Pros

Good culture, management, associates. Very important to treat and provide customers with excellent service. I enjoyed working at Banana Republic. Communication between teams is highly smooth in its flow.

Cons

There are no major downsides. One of the reasons people should consider is working between departments. People may some times be asked to manage stock rooms and fitting rooms even if they are hired to be on the floor.

Advice to Management

I am very happy with management at Banana Republic. The only advice I have is to offer better discounts to employees and also give preference to fashion and marketing majors.

5. Great High End Fashion Place

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

Pros

It was a really great place to work, the discount was amazing especially since it could be used within all of Gap Inc. I really got a good preview for the fashion industry. I enjoyed being like a stylist by putting outfits together for people and having clients. The company did a good job at training us to own our job. I truly learned a lot about giving great customer service and selling at the same time. Connecting with customers and seeing them leave happy knowing they had some great new pieces for their wardrobe was an amazing feeling. Overall Gap Inc. is an amazing company.

Cons

-Selling can be very stressful especially trying to meet huge goals with a lot of pressure and a low pay -BANANA CARDS are extremely stressful - I want my customers to have a good experience without bugging them with the "3 strike" rule on trying to get them to open cards. we could do excellent in selling but would still get strictly told it wasn't good enough without the Banana Cards. -Time off and shift switching was really strict. There were "blackout" dates where we were not allowed to ask for time off or to change our availability.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great training programs. I personally learned a lot about retail and just overall Gap Inc. itself. It was very professional.

6. Nice Job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grandville, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grandville, MI

Pros

I loved Banana Republic. The managers were friendly and easy to talk to. If I had questions, they'd answer eagerly sans negative judgment. They were very welcoming.

Cons

I just did not like working in retail due to the late weekend hours. No one would, right? I also did not like my position. I would've preferred to work on the register or greet customers. Instead, I had to put clothes back and let customers in the fitting room. I had the opportunity to "move up" to working the register, but I did not work there long enough because I had to move.

Advice to Management

I have no negative words for management. There was always someone responsible in the crew that made me feel comfortable. My advice is to not change! =)

7. Never dull

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Great employee discount, strong community involvement, great team work, nice opportunities for advancement, ability to learn new skills, feedback regularly

Cons

there were long hours, a lot of weekend shifts, late night shipments, early morning shipments, diva attitudes among the sales people

Advice to Management

Listen more to the field leadership feedback and customer complaints on surveys. It directly relates to customer satisfaction at the store level.

Fun, but you'll never get promoted.

Current Employee - Non-Sell Associate in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Non-Sell Associate in Chandler, AZ

Pros

The Managers are really nice, and actually help out all over the store, from painting to opening shipment at 4am to cashiering. All of the employees were nice, with a variety of races and backgrounds. If you ask for time off like a month in advance, you'll get it. Has a really nice atmosphere, unlike some big retail stores.

Cons

I found out that people in my job position usually get hired at $8.25 - $8.50 an hour, but I was only hired at $8.00 an hour. No chance of ever being promoted, even if you work there for years. They only hired Managers from outside the store. My store went without a Manager in charge of the Non-Sell Team for months, and even though my Supervisor did both her job and the empty position's job, and had been with the store for three years, she was passed over and the job was given to someone from outside the store. That new Manager only lasted like 4 months. When I saw that happen, I knew I would never be able to work my way up the ladder at that store. My Supervisor left the store after this, and so did I.

Advice to Management

Look inside your store for great talent, or it will leave for another company.

9. I would definitely work at Banana Republic again, I'd just need more hours

Former Employee - Stock Associate in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Burlington, MA

Pros

50% off Banana Republic and Gap full priced merchandise 25% off Old Navy full priced merchandise 10% off all sale merchandise Sometimes bigger discounts combined with seasonal sales

Cons

Getting up at 4 to do 6am shipments isn't so fun ! Also I only got about 10 hours a week due to budget constraints

Advice to Management

Don't promise hours you cannot give!

10. A great place to work for part time sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

-Great employee discount -Depending on your location, a generally polite and clean clientele -Lots of feedback from managers, and internal motivation -Clear goals and quotas

Cons

-As with any retail job, you must be ready for a standing, moving, and constantly selling environment. -Other retailers may have more incentives for employees -Not enough hours for part timers -Inconsistency with scheduling

Advice to Management

-plan consistent (or moderately consistent) scheduling.

11. Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

Pros

-Great treatment by management and other associates -Friendly customers -Management is fair -clean, neat store

Cons

-Pay could by higher based on experience

Advice to Management

-To keep top level talent on the sales associate level, please look at increasing pay

Showing 1,290 of 1,293 reviews