Banana Republic

Updated September 17, 2014
3.3

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap) (in 101 reviews)

• Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies) (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing credit cards is the only thing corporate is worried about (in 87 reviews)

• Employee raises were given once a year, but they cap sales associates in the Factory Stores at (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Manager

I worked at Banana Republic full-time

Pros

Great PTO accrual & that's about it! People say discount is great, but if you shop every other day you can get same discount as employees without having to survive the horrible environment.

Cons

Out of touch leadership
    Unrealistic expectations
    Leadership expects stores to " stuff 100lbs. of crap in a 10lbs. Bag." Resources don't provide opportunity to achieve expectations.
    Drama, unprofessional, nonsupport, stress... if you work well in these conditions BR is for you.

In order to change/advance you must first come to terms with reality

UGH, Retail!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Howell, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Howell, MI

I worked at Banana Republic part-time for less than a year

Pros

The company discount was favorable. It came in handy when purchasing interview clothes for a real job.
    That about covers it.

Cons

Work/life balance is nonexistent. Constant availability is required though only a small number of hours are given to each employee. The work is mind numbing and unrewarded.

Concentration Camp

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in London, England (UK)

I worked at Banana Republic as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

My colleagues were absolutely fantastic

Cons

where do i begin: the management was the worst i have ever seen. London flagship needs to seriously be reviewed in terms of managerial positions. I felt discriminated against. I felt victimized. Worst of all i began to doubt myself as a human being. Further, to expect workers to perform at their full potential when the air conditioner is broken is too much (especially when it is the middle of summer and it is 30+ degrees on the lower level. Fans not only look unprofessional they also do not help at all

Take a course at a community college to further develop skills in organizing a workforce, and further understand that in business you must not be biased in your decisions, just because you dont like somebody does not mean you wait for them to make a mistake and then punish them. you work with them, you do not own the company and i believe that if head management saw what you were doing to employees you would be out of a job very quickly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Definitely a temporary job, not a permanent one

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador  in  Commerce, CA
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Commerce, CA

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount.

Just to reach the word limit

Cons

1. Banana Credit Card pushing
    2. No room for growth/advancement
    3. Poor hours
    4. Banana Credit Card pushing (I am aware that I mentioned this already)
    5. NO employee loyalty

None. why bother when the company seems too greedy to listen to what I, or anyone else has to say.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Banana Republic part-time for less than a year

Pros

50% discount is [in theory] generous, but the clothes are expensive and when you are only making $9 an hour, you can't even afford to shop there! There is no career growth as a sales associate.

Cons

- The hours are unpredictable. Sometimes you will work 20+ hours a week and sometimes much less. If you are not meeting your credit card quota, you will be stuck with crappy closing shifts on the weekends.
    - If you are unlucky, you will have to work with horribly rude, micro-managers who berate you for not pitching to customers about credit cards.
    - I thought I was here to sell clothes and provide customers with quality customer service, not push credit cards on unsuspecting customers. Customers do not want to be followed around the store, after they have refused your sales pitch a couple of times! This is a credit card business operating under the guise of a clothing business - so beware. You will feel very discouraged and desperate when management publicly shame you for not making your credit card goals. Is it worth it?
    - The pay sucks and does not incentivize you to go the extra mile.
    - Managers are very "nice" and "cheerful" but can turn on a dime if you do not make goals.

Are you primary selling credit cards with obscenely high rates or clothes? Make up your mind about your business model!

Meh

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at Banana Republic part-time for less than a year

Pros

The clothing was nice to work with. Occasionally we got good perks for working there. Rarely.

Cons

Crap benefits (50% off? That's less than what customers got and we weren't allowed to use customer promotions), the customers were abusive and the people I worked with were crazy. Often had to stay late because many people would do what was asked and the bosses did nothing to help or make them do their work.

Get it together. Help your employees out more. You expect us to do so much but give nothing back and awful pay

It was among the worst jobs - but things have changed since then... apparently

Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager  in  Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Troy, MI

I worked at Banana Republic full-time

Pros

Clothing discount is a pro... only if you like the brand.
    Good benefits and good salary for mid-upper management depending on store volume (better negotiate it well, because the pay increases were so low, they become insulting).

Cons

The experience completely changes depending on location and who you report to.
    As a former Manager, my experience was awful back then, but former co-workers say it has improved since Regional and Gral Manager were changed.
    The work environment for Sales and Sales Support team members has always been terrible in my opinion, low pay, excessive expectations of service and statistics without offering a decent commision-in addition to the already low hourly... poor resources, insufficient floor coverage, lack of training, etc... makes it almost impossible to deliver a decent customer experience, for the associate and for the leader/manager as well.

Almost inexistent possibility of growth.
    Basically inexistent pay increases.
    Complete lack of organization from Gral Manager and up.

Increase hourly wages of the sales and support team, plus add some form of commission incentive as well, which will greatly improve the desire to fold your chino's wall perfectly or to "run like a chicken with the head cut off" to help multi customers at a time.
    BTW the extra dollar for each Banana Card sold is not the most motivating tool for the associates or for managers to drive their teams.

Ugh.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time for less than a year

Pros

50% discount, 10% discount at gap and old navy, 10% discount from sale items. That's about it.

Cons

-Miscommunication within all levels of business
    -Skewed/ unrealistic ideas coming from corporate (Embark! program piloted at my location; too many features for simple selling ON TOP of meeting credit card sales goals for the month),
     -Aggressively pushing sales and credit card sales ON TOP of changing our target customer from someone older to a younger demographic.

It's great that Gap focuses on giving employees the power to make customers happy,with minor things most companies should do, but there are too many programs happening at once. Streamline your approach to save your nosediving sales; all the stress on your employees makes it difficult to keep your customers happy. Don't constantly bombard your customers with loyalty programs either, it's off- putting to most of them. With all the chaos within higher management, it seems like Gap and Banana have gotten a skewed perspective on their customer needs.

Good ole boys club

I worked at Banana Republic

Pros

Couldn't find a good reason that's why I left. I was disappointed about the volunteer program great programs hard to get non profits there money

Cons

Long hours no work life balance. Poor pay. Discount isn't so great. Customer often can get the same deal or better. Leadership is able to steal very easy and nothing is done about it. Favoritism is very apparent and promotions are not on performance

Listen to employees when they give you a heads up about stealing and poor performance.

Retail

I worked at Banana Republic part-time

Pros

its a job for college students

Cons

Disorganized, bad scheduling, low pay

treat employees better

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!