Banana Republic Reviews

Reset
3.5
Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • 50 % employee discount on full priced items (in 111 reviews)

• Great discount on full price clothing (in 109 reviews)

Cons
  • They are soo pushy with credit cards (in 99 reviews)

• retail you really don't have a work life balance (in 22 reviews)

1,167 Employee Reviews

1. Brand Ambassador

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time

Pros

Love having a discount at numerous stores so, I can buy things for my family. I really enjoyed my last General Manager.

Cons

When the General Manager left, I had to deal with District politics. Too much as I felt favoritism was heavy in this area of Arizona.

Advice to Management

Look at people for productivity! Listen to seasoned Managers. All District Managers are not alike. I transferred to Factory to be comfortable!

2. Worst job ever

Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Banana Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% off clothes is only value to employment

Cons

Fake managers and fake district managers.
    Not an inclusive environment.

Advice to Management

Hire a more inclusive and diverse group of managers. Develop them to be leaders, not well dressed drones.

3. The worse place I ever worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Banana Republic

Pros

Nice coworkers, great discounts! Nice clothes.

Cons

$8.25hr in California? Stupid! Everyone was nice except one supervisor, that hated me because I reported her for bullying me. Got out of there same day I got a $17.88 offer to go back to my old job. Got a call from corporate saying I could never work at their company ever again for not giving a notice. Lol sure I want to work for u again

5. Brand Ambassador

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

employee discount at gap, old navy, br

Cons

favoritism, underpaid, overworked shifts, young and unskilled employees.

6. Run away from this store

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Banana Republic

Pros

Hourly is competitive due to location

Cons

this store is being run by store manager who treats everyone disposable. Either you drink the cool aid or leave. High turn overs. There's another manager who just loved to write up people over small stuff. Even a new hire who's only been there for two days gets written up for something. Makes people work in fears. I heard other stores are not like this. Just for this one. Lots of management drama that it brings people down. They also expect too much with little to no training and you get yelled at for making mistakes. dont even bother calling in sick because they just yell at you for calling in like you're not suppose to get sick.

Advice to Management

Treat and value your people better. We're the one selling and making you money while you boss people around and spends too much time in the office with your other managers while it can be used on the floor to help clients or support your team.

The company cares about BRCs (brand credit cards) and nothing else, not even you.

Current Employee - MPL Visual Coordinator
    Current Employee - MPL Visual Coordinator

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro for working for Banana Republic is the employee discount. You receive 50 percent off everything in store and at GAP. At Old Navy, the discount is 25% off, which combines with their promos. At Banana Outlet, it is 30% off.
    The only downfall for the discount at Banana Republic is the fact that most sales for the customers are exactly the same. So, it's usually better to shop as a customer, rather than an employee.

Cons

Where do I begin?
    1. The company has lost its identity and is currently trying to rebrand itself as the next "cool new thing you forgot ever existed." As a result, they are desperately trying to reach the young professionals, although most of their customers are over 50. So their old customers are complaining, and the new "young professionals" find the brand incredibly bland. They're also trying to become hip with social media, but it all comes across as lame.
    2. The clothing quality has gone downhill. For women, everything is oversized and fits like a box. Mens suits rip easily. Sweaters shrink to toddler sizes. I've withnessed chinos come apart at the seam along the entire length of the leg....
    3. The company does not care about the customer nor the employee. Every single day you are bombarded with goals of signing people up for Banana Cards, their store credit card. Evey day I receive 20 emails talking about BRCs. Nothing is about improving the customer's experience, the quality of the clothing, etc, it is all about stupid credit. The company will lure employees by providing special gifts if the store meets its goals....(which are fun sized stale candy...I'm not kidding, the candy is stale, like 2 year old Halloween candy) I find it demoralizing considering we earn them billions in profit, yet they repay us with extremely cheap rewards.
    Also, there is no commission, but if you don't perform as a sales associate with signing people up for the cards, they won't schedule you. Its becoming performance based, off of credit card enrollments.
    4. Management. I came to the store as a new leader and was thrown completely under the bus. No training whatsoever. In the interview process, they promised months of training and I probably received 1 week of staring at a computer. So, if a dilemma arises, I often have no idea how to fix it because I was not trained.
    Also, the store I work at is like a war zone. All the managers hate each other and will deliberately go out of their way to sabotage each other. There is constant backstabbing and bad mouthing, which is such a horrible environment to come into, being a new leader.
    5. Hours. Associates are only part time. Leaders full time. If you say open availability, be prepared to work over night. Literally. No consistency with the schedule, so it's hard to maintain a life work balance.
    6. The company itself. Gap Inc is a cheap labor company. They do not value the employee, so don't believe the hype. They try to project an image as if they are this great company that gives back to the community, but it's all crap. Nor is the company environment friendly. You'll find out once you work for them.
    7. Only work for this place if you need work clothes for your interviews with other companies.

Advice to Management

The company needs to start over completely. Its too flawed to correct. It's becoming the Wal-Mart of clothing.

8. awful awful awful

I worked at Banana Republic

Pros

there were honestly no pros, the discount on the clothes is useless when you need a job to pay for food and not luxuries.

Cons

My manager was so rude to me about the dress code she literally took me into her office and started picking apart my body and why what i was wearing didn't look good on me because i had broad shoulders and narrow hips. I couldn't believe she was telling me those things in her office and i kept trying not to cry. for the rest of the 6 months i worked there she literally terrorized me and would constantly quiz me on obscure store concepts and clothing types. I was only there twice a week and she expected me to be a full timer. When I tried to tell other managers no one cared or took notice because she completely ran the whole store and intimidated everybody. It was by far the worst experience of my life. never work here.

9. A Place for Beginners and Drones

Former Employee - Visual Specialist in Beachwood, OH
    Former Employee - Visual Specialist in Beachwood, OH

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers. Gap Inc discounts.

Cons

Inexperienced management. The everyday routine becomes boring and the strict merchandising guidelines are oppressive to people who are used to being self-directed, problem solving and truly creative. Low pay for a roll with too many responsibilities. Inconsistent days/hours.

Advice to Management

Hire and grow the people that bring a skill or a background, you then may get longevity to positions instead of a revolving door. Lead by example, not insecurity.

10. If you want to work for politicians, great place to be!

Former Employee - Management in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Management in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Banana Republic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and great co-workers!

Cons

When you work hard, the store looks good and KPIs are all positive. That's good, right? Oh...wait, watch out! You're going to get stab at the back by higher management and they are going to make things up just to get rid of you, so they can promote a "brown noser".

Advice to Management

How can you sleep at night?

11. Sales Support Associate

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Banana Republic

Pros

- The employee discount
    - Gained sales skills

Cons

- Horrible management
    - Fold cloths your entire shift
    - Given a $500 sales target per shift but given zero commission

Advice to Management

- Three managers at different levels were used for a single store.

Showing 1,167 of 1,170 reviews