Banana Republic Reviews

Reset
3.5
Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • 50 % employee discount on full priced items (in 111 reviews)

• Great discount on full price clothing (in 109 reviews)

Cons
  • They are soo pushy with credit cards (in 99 reviews)

• retail you really don't have a work life balance (in 22 reviews)

1,234 Employee Reviews

1. Good enough for a short-term or second job.

I have been working at Banana Republic (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet some of the coolest coworkers from a variety of backgrounds (if the store is big). Flexible scheduling (It recently became less flexible for everyone because of a certain issue). Promotes within.

Cons

Irrational, retail customers. Most I've come across are nice however but you meet some entitled individuals who drives you crazy and take advantage of the "customer is always right". Store is left a mess often especially in the sale section. People don't want to use their energy to hang something back up that's less than two feet away from them. This only a big deal in bigger stores probably. Banana Card pressue. Hours cut at times, but that's expected when sales goals are not met.

Advice to Management

Train better. I wasn't taught everything I needed to know my first week and neither were the new people after me. When I was asked to answer phone and do a stock check, the manager looked at me like I was stupid and this person trained me. I had to ask around have coworkers train me further during down time and hoped they were willing to. I think we're starting to be better with his after management notice a pattern.

2. Sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rolling Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rolling Hills, CA

I have been working at Banana Republic (More than a year)

Pros

Nice and Humble. like it

Cons

Not enough hours, Low hourly pay

Advice to Management

Great work

3. General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - General Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great life/work balance. Great benefit package. Senior managers genuinely care about their people. The Company does what it needs to do to stay profitable and competitive. They also have great company values.

Cons

Not enough full time positions besides in management, which makes it hard for internal promotions.

5. You make sure your team is happy and so are the customers. You have to help the team to reach goals.

Current Employee - Customer Experience Lead in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great! You start with 160hrs of PTO. You have a great group of other leaders to help guide you. Also you have the opportunity for bonuses once you move up!

Cons

You always work on the weekends and holidays. The stress can be crazy and customers through fits all the time.

6. Good Part Time Job

I worked at Banana Republic part-time

Pros

The managers were really great people that made the work enjoyable and they were also very fair.

Cons

They had an on call system for each shift you worked which could get frustrating. It added a possible extra four hours to your shift. If they were busy when your shift was ending you took a break instead and then worked the on call shift. It was hard to fit this into a part time schedule if you had other jobs or school.

7. Not as great as the media says

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You make great friends within the company, some you will know for years.

Cons

This company is all about politics. Hard workers are not recognized, nor compensated for the extra work they do. BS-ers are the only ones who can advance, despite poor performance and lack of knowledge. Very tenured employees make just as much as new hires, despite having different titles and higher expectations. Your employee discount is not worth it, customers save more. All-around disappointing.

Advice to Management

Employees should be number one, as they are the ones running the company. Pay should be BY PERFORMANCE.

8. BR sales

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time

Pros

pretty great employee discount here

Cons

no cons from working here whatsoever

Advice to Management

N/A N/A na na na na

9. Fast paced environment.

I have been working at Banana Republic

Pros

Gap Inc. and Banana Republic offer multiple avenue for advancement. Whether that be management or cross-brand promotions. Benefits are great with full-time staff starting at 4 weeks paid vacation time.

Cons

Pay starts off relatively low. Although there is room for advancements, favorites seem to be chosen and the process takes far too long. Certain regions and districts follow different policies more intensively and ignore others, which makes it difficult when traveling to other locations.

Advice to Management

Provide a decent salary for those who have been with company for multiple years and for those with college degrees.

10. Brand Ambassador

I have been working at Banana Republic

Pros

Discount on the clothes is good. A variety of customers to meet.

Cons

Lack of technology to support the sales staff in their work so there's a lot of needless effort both on the sales floor and in the office. Many managers do not have inspiring personalities. Compensation ($10/hr) is below some other retailers for more work. Each week the schedule is different so, while you can ask for days off, predictability of specific work hours is not assured.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees like you expect them to treat the customers. Make it so employees can simply do their job by upgrading technology on the sales floor and behind the scenes.

11. Great company, wonderful people, lousy pay and hours

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most supportive corporate structure that I've ever working for Always a chance for increased responsibility Banana works to grow all its employees equally and fairly Helps the community Company is mostly run by women.

Cons

On-call shifts are the worst Hours are quickly cut For the amount of money the company makes a year, the pay is not the best

Advice to Management

Get rid of on-call shifts

Showing 1,234 of 1,228 reviews