Banana Republic

Updated January 29, 2015
3.4

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies) (in 111 reviews)

• Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap) (in 109 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing credit cards is the only thing corporate is worried about (in 99 reviews)

• If you don't value your work/life balance then this is the perfect company for you (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to Work for

Current Employee - Customer Experience Lead in Danbury, CT
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Lead in Danbury, CT

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee Merchandise discount, management team, company values.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement take awhile

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Banana Republic

Pros

Very flexible hours, the managers are really nice and very helpful. Coworkers are awesome

Cons

The pay is on the low end, but the employee discount is nice.

Great customers poor management

Former Employee - Merchandise Specialist
    Former Employee - Merchandise Specialist

I worked at Banana Republic

Pros

Working at the flagship store can be enjoyable, great customers and clients

Cons

Poor management structure in some departments

Store should focus on cross training assciates in all departments along with managers, this could create a more functional team even if their roles are more specialized. Everyone should understand the role and fuction of all departments.

Sales Associate

I worked at Banana Republic

Pros

Management was ok. Coworkers were nice and helpful. Short hours so it was good to work while in school. Employee discount was good!

Cons

Low pay. No benefits. Was hard to move up. It was just a job to work while in school. Not a long term career.

Lovely coworkers and customers, awful management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very generous discount at all Gap brands, coworkers were awesome - some I know will be lifelong friends.
    The emphasis and focus that the company has for customer service is impressive.
    Product gets better and better - very good at keeping up with the times.

Cons

No room whatsoever for personal growth.
    Management awful - inconsistencies with explanations of policies, lack of interest and care in employees' personal needs/concerns (after asking every leader to meet with them about problems I had, I was either ignored or pushed aside)
    There also seemed to be a lot of favoritism for employees that got a lot of credit cards. The push from management on to the employees to get customers to sign up for cards was ridiculous. Same goes for the Embark program.
    No comp for parking, or transportation assistance of any kind, despite the fact that the store is located downtown.
    Attendance policies are confusing and ridiculous.

Shift your focus to selling the product and making large sales instead of asking employees to push the card on every single customer. It is not necessary to even ask a person that has one sale item. Embark is confusing to many customers - switch back to simply asking for customers' emails.
    Show more concern for employees' needs! Especially concerning transportation - when one day's work pays for the parking it took to make it to that shift, it is pointless.
    For the sake of future employees, I hope that the attendance policies are revised - a lot.
    Make sure every leader is on the same page and is well informed of company policies and not misinforming employees leading to unnecessary punishment from another leader.

Money

I worked at Banana Republic

Pros

If you like their clothes, then you get to be around them for at least 4 hours a day.
    My managers were very nice.

Cons

If you have bills to pay and this is your only job, collection agencies might be calling soon.
    On-call shifts are ridiculous cause they rarely use them, but generally you will have at least 3 per week.

Good Experience

I have been working at Banana Republic

Pros

Good training ground for retail expereince

Cons

Too much focus on numbers

Invest in the break room

Micromanagement at its finest.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Banana Republic

Pros

My part time coworkers, customers are nice enough. When someone comes in to shop for a specific occasion, you feel like you make a difference.

Cons

Management is constantly on your back. You get assigned to one area, and heaven forbid you move 2 feet outside of it. I've been in retail management before, but never felt I had to babysit as much as they do me. You have to ask for breaks, they're not just given. Frequent 10 pm closings and 6 am openings.

The company is based on personal freedom and confidence, yet you do not have any confidence in your part time employees. I never felt that I had a true opportunity to advance in this company. I'm starting to dread going in, just because of the undermining and mistreatment. Too bad, the customers can be really great. Wish I was paid commission because I made a lot of sales in my store.

Sale Associate (NY-SOHO)

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Banana Republic

Pros

The position was helpful when it comes to building self confidence and customer service skills as you are expected
    to talk to customers at all times, without being pushy. The employee discount of 50% all clothing, even on those items which are never on sale to the general public was also a plus.

Cons

Working at a high traffic stores, like in SOHO, has its cons. With the exception of January when everyone is done with their holiday shopping and spring items are only for sale (In the middle of winter!), the store is extremely busy and it can be overwhelming. Leadership is a hit and miss, some leaders are nice and just want a good effort in keeping everything tidy when closing the store, others don't care and take the job to seriously. Scheduling is done so you almost never work enough hours to qualify you for overtime, and some days you are under hours. Starting pay is at $9/hr to $12/hr, so the commute time and stress is hardly worth it and explains the high turnover rate. Some coworkers can be deceitful as well. Examples are switching shifts but not showing up to help you out to this one instance this cashier girl was walked out by the FBI after it was uncovered that she and her boyfriend stole customer credit card info.

Alright Company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Leandro, CA

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Gap Inc. as a whole is a great company to work for. They're very flexible and understanding with your schedule because they understand that school and family comes first. During the holidays they have little pot lucks. Coworkers are friendly and we got along well.

Cons

Current management is all over the place. It's an all new staff so they're still trying to sync together. Also, the hours are very inconsistent. Sometimes they call to cut your shift a few hours before. Sometimes they may forget to call you to tell you your shift has been cut /: