www.bananarepublic.com

Updated December 16, 2014
3.4

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies) (in 111 reviews)

• Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap) (in 109 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing credit cards is the only thing corporate is worried about (in 99 reviews)

• If you don't value your work/life balance then this is the perfect company for you (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

I like working there, but it doesn't really take you anywhere in life.

Current Employee - Stock Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

fast work environment. get to meet lots of people. get to walk around and not have one repetitive job to do. get to help lots of people. not sure if this a pro, but also you don't have to think very much. my position lets me be more free and do what i need to do without being micromanaged, but all the floor people are pretty much babysat all day.

Cons

very very little pay. and often times management looks to fire people simply on a whim or because they pissed them off once.

Depends on your location

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

there is room to grow, however, it doesnt matter how long youve been there. someone that has been there for only 5 months has just became a manager at my store and works less than me yet ive been there for 2 years and work my butt off for them(working the max 45 hours) and havent been offered anything.
    the discount is pretty good.

Cons

again, depends on your area, your management team can be complete crap.
    time off request during the holidays have to be done months ahead.

hire people who arent lazy,rude,and just dont show up for work. have a manager that can actually make a decent schedule with a good amount of employees to cover breaks and when people are leaving.

A decent place to work

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Pay rises annually
    Employee discounts
    Discounts at sister companies (Gap, Old Navy, Athleta)
    Benefits for full time employees

Cons

They keep your hours below full time. I was often scheduled for 29.5 hours.
    Pay rises are minimal
    Too many managers telling you to do the same job different ways

Coordinate yourselves better. Too much miscommunication.

forced to work on thanksgiving day.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

the tasks were fun and meeting people was also pretty fun a few coworkers were actually nice.the discount is good for outlets

Cons

1. discount its only 50% off but it literally 40% off everyday with a banana card another 10%
    2. forced to work on thanksgiving
    3. forced to work more house than i applied for
    4.caty managers
    5. i had low blood sugar and was not allowed to eat any type of sweets
    6. i had a really anxiety attack throughout the day i cant take an extra few minutes to take a break
    7.they will milk your hours if you're a seasonal employee
    8. had to work when i was nauseous from cyclic vomiting syndrome
    9. training was not specific about hours
    10.dress code is confusing when it comes to wearing keds or converse
    11. they never taught me how to use cash register and get upset when i don't know how to use it
    12. unflexable schedule
    13. im a full time student and im working 35 hours.
    14. manager changed my schedule without my consent (pretty sure its illegal to change my schedule without consent)
    15. i applied to a different location than the one i'm currently working at ( so i never even applied to the store i'm working in)
    I HATE IT ,FIRE ME ALREADY

Be more specific about tasks,dress code, let employees a take a break if they don't feel well, stop forcing me work. than i have to. stop lying in your orientations about schedule and how much you give a damn about school because they clearly don't. i've been here for a month and random policies suddenly exist. also atleast tell me the password for the god damn ipod before you expect me to know how to use it . Get your STUFFtogether

An okay place to work if you are a student.

Former Employee - Sales Support in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They try to be as flexible as possible with scheduling and requesting days off but it's retail and they make a lot of the money on the weekends so you will have to work most. The discount is very generous: 50% off at BR and the Gap, 30% at Old Navy and 20% on Piperlime (occasionally). The bonus structure is nice: if the store makes or exceeds the target sales goal for the month you can get and extra $25-$200 in your paycheck depending on how many hours you worked for the month.

Cons

They don't pay much and your raise will be $0.05 to $0.10 every 6 months. The store carries a lot of inventory so the sales floor and stock rooms are messy. They harass employees about opening credit cards. The sales floor constantly changes so it is hard to remember where items are on the sales floor. There are no opportunities for advancement to manager within the store and no opportunities to move to corporate.

Identify talent in the store and promote from within. It would be nice if corporate positions were posted in the store since most of the associates are college seniors and graduate students and may not mind relocating.

Great Place To Network

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As long as the managers have everything organized and everyone is on the same page it is a fun and lively atmosphere. Definitely use Banana Republic as a networking tool. While getting to know customers and building a relationship you are helping yourself and Banana Republic. If anything else you will have the opportunity to hear some very interesting stories from customers, and, possibly, sustain some wisdom from the older generation. One customer I met said so little but provided such an impact to my life that I have changed my perspective of life and attempt to achieve happiness every day no matter the situation.

Cons

Holiday's are very stressful with all of the emotionally shopping customers. There will be conflict with customers due to high traffic volume and non-existent patience with the customers. The best way to resolve any disputes is to smile and be as nice as possible. Getting emotional with the customers will never resort to a progressive resolution.

This tends to be a problem with most companies but it is to stay on the same page and communicate everything effectively with all levels of staffing. Also, with holidays, provide proper training on the floor and cash rep. The need to have employees that can work the floor and the cash rep at any given point in time is vital to keep the stresses of the workplace down.

I worked at Banana Republic part-time

Pros

Friendly Coworkers, fun atmoshphere, great discount across multiple brands.

Cons

No flexibility if you aren't available on weekends

Great Products/ Poor pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gap,Inc really is a neat company which sells quality products in their higher end stores such as Banana Republic. It trains its staff very well and promotes a climate of workplace happiness.

Cons

Like many retail operations ,they over- stress the "awesomeness"of working there and "being a part of the team" , the generous discount, while never wanting to acknowledge that the pay is often substantially less than other retail stores and that they essentially want you to LIVE for Banana Republic. Work life BALANCE IS NON EXISTANT.

Fine but not great

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Houston, TX

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

For most of parr good environment and good clothes

Cons

Some managers just put you down and you cant do anything about it

Make all managers respect ALL emloyees or fire them, they are clerly discriminating.

You will have a great shopping time with our guest

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will have great perks (discount) and well-educated training. Many people do great services for our guests. You will learn tons of things here.

Cons

Some of employees are not native speakers but many of them understand how difficult to sell products by second language. They will teach you kindly and also guests are nice!