Banana Republic

Updated November 20, 2014
3.4

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies) (in 108 reviews)

• Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap) (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Management heavily pushes the credit card because they have a quota too meet for each day (in 97 reviews)

• If you don't value your work/life balance then this is the perfect company for you (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Friendly and Positive

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Even if you are just a little into fashion, you learn a lot about how to dress and how to help others dress while working at Banana Republic. My wardrobe is slowly changing and my family and friends like the new way I dress. Store discount is a blessing and a curse! Just some changes I've noticed in myself since I became an employee.

The environment in the store is friendly and positive. That begins with the management and other employees, who are the same way. The clientele are mostly adults that are kind and appreciative of good customer service. The dress code for employees is flexible, and even casual wear is acceptable as long as it is representative of Banana Republic style. There is no commission-based sales on the floor of the store, so you feel free to work as a team. Monthly goals for employees are more than reasonably achievable, and help is offered if you are struggling or need advice.

Cons

Not always stimulating work as a sales associate depending on the day. Holidays and peak times can seem like a stress overload quickly. Part-time schedules are received less than a week in advance, and usually there is not much of a sense of regularity to the hours assigned. Important to think of ways to keep busy in slow times.

Options for further development or "moving up the ladder" are usually slim as an associate. Further training and placement seems very dependent on the right place and right time, in addition to maintaining communication about opportunities with management.

Sales Associate review

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee discount, generally positive work environment, see the newest products first, flexible hours outside of holidays and friends and family weekends, professional environment, first to know about upcoming sales

Cons

work life balance around holiday is nearly non-existent, repetitive work most days, some customers can be difficult to deal with, pushing credit cards gets difficult, few growth opportunities

Help grow your employees to help them move through the company, remember work life balance is important for all people

Customer Service Masterclass

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros of Banana:
    -Great Employee Discount
    -Managers actually care about you
    -Hours are set, get to leave at a scheduled time or earlier
    -Get a 401k after working for a year
    -Accommodating to your school schedule

Cons

Cons of Banana:
    -Often understaffed on busy days
    -Shady customers that try to take advantage of promotions
    -Unclear promotions that don't communicate product exclusions
    -Extremely lenient return policy

Offer opportunities for advancement that aren't just manager roles. Make promotional signs clearer or don't exclude certain products from promotions (Blazers, Leather jackets, Body Care, certain Shoes).

"Great Job for Ideal Fashion Student"

Former Employee - Stock Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Getting to learn about new fashion trends before they become super popular in other stores; some clothing items have great quality and they have great accessories. This is the first retail store where I actually learned fashion tips! You do get a 50% discount on clothes and the pay is great for seasonal(more than minimum before CA raised it to $9/hr), teamwork is encouraged, a few times they showed the staff appreciation for their work.

Cons

They give few hours when you are seasonal and you only get them when its close to the holidays its self. It's hard to pick up shifts because so many seasonal workers are there. I worked as Seasonal Stock at The Grove, Los Angeles,CA location and the hours were grueling. I had to be at work for 4:30am unloading trucks and some of my nights would end at 1am and I would have to be back the next day at 4am again. My job duties changed to include getting credit from customers even when I wasn't even trained on how to use a register. My manager just told me to get it and give to another sales associate to ring it up and I would get credit. It never happened. If you don't dress well enough that day or to GAP standards, they give you tasks that prevent you from being seen on the sales floor. Some of the associates don't bother helping customers but love to take credit when a manager is around. Managers only show appreciation to sales staff. No room for growth, very few hours when hired permanently.

Work on training your associates in other areas and stop taking them for granted. Stop being bias on how people look, they could make a great employee for your company and move the company in a new, positive direction. Show everyone appreciation, don't contradict your teamwork logo that you preach to new employees.

Poor Scheduling, Not Worth the Discount

Former Employee - Sales Support in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Banana Republic part-time

Pros

Co-workers are generally good people, but at time it could feel like you're back in high school again.

Cons

Managers tend to play favourites-if you fall out of their good graces, expect to be scheduled less and pushed to do more. Also, since managers appear to be polite, they have a way with their backhanded compliments.

They have a company policy of scheduling every week on Wednesday evening (practically Thursday) for a work week that begins on a Sunday. This leads to your employees getting 2-3 day notice of their schedule for Sunday. It's unbearable even for a minimum wage job!

Time off policy seems okay at first until you realize that after you book some time off, they will almost never schedule you the week after you come back.

Discount not that great at 50% off when they constantly have 40% off regular price.

Zero upward mobility. And even if you do get promoted, the salary increase is only $1-$2 more per hour but massive amount of pressure and resposibility.

Employees will constantly ask themselves why they need to be loyal to a company that does this type of scheduling when many other competitors schedule at least TWO WEEK AHEAD!

Need help

I have been working at Banana Republic

Pros

They are friendly and joke around,, the employees are awesome

Cons

They are extremely disorganized and all over the place.. They can sometimes play favoritism and work you for more than they pay you,, they see extremely stingy with raises

More organization and less gossiping

Good retail job. Overemphasis on store card

Former Employee - Sales Support in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Seattle, WA

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discount. 50% off full price items and 15% off sale items (if I remember correctly). Co-workers were very friendly and the managers were very supportive, especially in helping you sell a banana republic card. There's no commission so there's no need to worry about your pay. Time and a half for working holidays.

Cons

Typical retail unpredictable hours. You will be expected to work holidays.
     If selling store cards to customers is not your thing then this position may be a bit stressful for you. Although you don't make commission you are expected to sell store cards, and the more the better. It can get a bit competitive between employees in terms of "claiming" customers for card sales.

Nothing to brag about

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlantic City, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlantic City, NJ

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like to work at my own pace on my own with no distractions. I was given that opportunity here to work where I was comfortable.

Cons

Employees and managers we disorganized.

Get more qualified, better understanding employees.

The best retail environment I have ever experienced.

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The customers are great, and if your team is given the proper tools to succeed and assist those customers, winning is inevitable.

If you have the right availability for leadership roles, there is always opportunity for advancement within all of GAP, Inc.

Cons

Frequent promotional changes. It is important for all leaders/associates to be change agile. It is necessary for driving your sales.

Practice consistency with corrective action for all leaders/associates. Toxicity spreads when situations are not handled in a timely fashion.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible, employee discount, people, fashion

Cons

Salary, Boca customers, holiday hours

Sales bonus