Banana Republic

Updated January 29, 2015
3.4

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies) (in 111 reviews)

• Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap) (in 109 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing credit cards is the only thing corporate is worried about (in 99 reviews)

• If you don't value your work/life balance then this is the perfect company for you (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Brand Ambassador

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador

I worked at Banana Republic

Pros

Nice people and the discount is good.

Cons

I do not have any cons to report

None

Overall good experience. Great people and support.

I have been working at Banana Republic

Pros

Lots of tenure
    Good company/reputable
    Support from higher ups around development

Cons

Timely Technology issues daily.
    Expectations (amount of work) not realistic
    Too much multitasking so not as productive

Clean up expectations around work and filter out what's less critical.

Love my job, but not the company

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Banana Republic

Pros

Great benefits and incentives. Very easy to move up through the company if you show initiative and desire

Cons

The company is all about promotions, and the customers have caught on. So the customers will demand high class service, but wont buy anything unless its 70% off. Very stressful sometimes. The company has lot of strange rules and just never seems to make much sense. There is logic, and then there is BR logic, not always the same thing. Every day I have at least one customer getting mad with something and telling me they will stop shopping here. Daily...

I think that management is doing everything very well with the tools they have been given. Its the actual company that needs to change if they want things to be better.

Great Company to Work For

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser/Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser/Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Banana Republic

Pros

I enjoyed working here, it was nice. Worked with Sales and Visual Merchandising. I loved working with the Visual team as I was able to utilize my creative skills.

Cons

Working in the floor was cool, but they are very big on signing people up with Banana Cards- which does have great perks but I was not big on pushing those. Though I did get cards, I did not always meet my quota. I approached it as being in the customer's shoes, I know how I am when people ask me to sign up for cards, which is why I wasn't extra pushy bc I don't like it when people try to push store cards on me, my no's mean no.

Management sucks

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Dallas, TX

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You make $8.50 an hour starting off, which is good. Management is really on point about breaks and stuff and the people are nice.

Cons

Stores are disorganized and you spend 5 minutes looking for one shirt. Also management is rude, especially if you call in sick. I hurt my neck and I couldn't come in for two shifts and my manager freaked out at me and told me I was fired, but then called me back and started asking if I was coming in. It's probably better at other Bananas, but my manager was crazy.

Great Organization

Current Employee - Cashier Lead in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company provides its employees with great benefits and the interactions are amazing.

Cons

Work-Life balance is a bit off. Work tends to consume me, however, I believe if you are direct and clear about what you want both within the company and outside, anything is possible.

I think its important to remember that associates are more than workers, they are people with real lives outside the BR brand.

Great experience.

Former Employee - Stock Associate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Banana Republic

Pros

Flexible hours. Great coworkers. Great manager who facilitated a great work environment. Easy work & not stressful at all. I was pregnant while I worked there and they were so great about me wanting to work right up to delivery and take a maternity leave as long as I wanted; (I was hourly and it was unpaid, obviously.)

Cons

Didn't really have any. It met all my needs for a job at the time.

It's an okay place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and good discounts at all Gap. inc companies except for online.

Cons

Management did not communicate well and they tried to place blame on associates for their own mistakes. The store i worked for never met its sales goals and based employees hours on it and made us feel like we were the reason the store was not doing well. They also never moved people around to work on different tasks and stuck people in one place for up to 8 hours at a time. The same people were always cashiering when they worked.

Learn to communicate and possibly have less people in management. The store manager was never there for more than 3 hours at a time and if she was there she was locked in the office.

It has its ups and downs.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dawsonville, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dawsonville, GA

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people I work with.

Cons

A lot of miscommunication

Scheduling, and the managers using their phones when they are on the clock but if sales associate have there phone they get in trouble. To my understanding no employee on the clock (Managers and associates) should not be on their phone whether on the floor or in the back room. Only when you are clocked out phones should be permitted. Equality between mangers and associate is a big key for this business to be efficient as possible and for everybody to get along.

Not the best experience

Current Employee - Stock Supervisor
    Current Employee - Stock Supervisor

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount is good
    Benefits are also great

Cons

Upper Management is very reactive(not in a positive way)
    . A lot of the really great managers/supervisors get promoted to corporate leaving whoever is left to take over l. (Also not a good thing)

Company needs a clear mission statement and should hire people that truly represent the culture they are trying to build.
    They seem like they have the right idea at the top but it's not trickling down the chain how I sure they'd like.