Banc of America Securities

Banc of America Securities Reviews

3.5

Banc of America Securities President Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan

Relatively good company to work for

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Banc of America Securities

Pros

Friendly environment, pays well versus other investment banks, relatively stable company, large universal model, just built a new tower in Manhattan with nice perks, good benefits

Cons

Second tier bank, management lacks a clear vision on where the bank is headed, there is prejudice against non-white male Americans and hardly any diversity outside corporate finance, too much politics in day to day business, lack of firm culture

Implement better retention policies, design continuing education/training, have fairer compensation policies, improve business model

Secretive, closed-door management style

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Dallas, TX

I worked at Banc of America Securities full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Salary and benefit package was generous,better than most other local employers.
    *Plenty of growth opportunity should be available in this large company, though relocation would be required.
    *Convenient location, easy access to major highways.

Cons

*Secretive, closed-door management style, apparently from the top down
    *Management team was aloof, usually behind closed doors and rarely acknowledged your presence when they walked through the office.

Share more with your employees

It was a good entry level position after college, but glad I've moved on.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Banc of America Securities

Pros

The team leaders were strong and supportive. And the comradeship between the analysts and associates was incredible. Also, I think we had one of the best Quantitative Support teams in the business.

Cons

Beyond the individual team leadership, there was practically none. No clear direction for the company or the business units. Senior executives were absent. The company handled the merger with Merrill Lynch incredibly poorly. I still understand there is animosity between the two loyalties.

Try to develop more of a horizontal structure. It's important for the young people (and old people) to see they have support from management and understand the goals of the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slow deal flow, lots of hours, but excellent learning curve.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Banc of America Securities

Pros

BofA had an excellent investment banking analyst training course. The learning curve of an investment banking analyst cannot be beat, although this is true of almost any investment bank. Benefits and bonus seemed fair, given I was toward the top. Although deal flow was slow, the deals I did work on were also extremely educational.

Cons

Hours, hours, hours wasted on pitches that were never technically scheduled! Also many hours spent in the office simply because that was what was expected, but did not seem necessary.

I do not mind working hard, but I like to see some results from the effort. I also felt there were definitely times when managers required the analyst to be at the office simply for the sake of being in the office.

Worked at BofA during the financial turmoil of 2008, as an analyst

Former Employee - Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Banc of America Securities

Pros

- comparable to other financial institutions in analyst pay and benefits

Cons

- hired way too many analysts than were jobs available
    - did not communicate warnings, or information about analyst career oppportunities and where the company was headed (and did not quell negative rumors either)
    - managers were confused and could not lead teams effectively under duress from above issue

- communicate better with MDs

Your Mileage May Vary

Former Employee - Tech Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tech Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Banc of America Securities

Pros

Some great and talented people work here
    Salary is good

Cons

Offices other than the BOAT [Bank of America Tower] are pretty mediocre

Everything depends on your immediate and one level up manager, if they aren't appreciate of their workers, don't expect any recognition.....at all

Stop bringing in outsiders to run the company, grow talent from within, seriously, you have some really gifted people in mediocre mid management roles, seek them out!

Banc of America Securities

Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst

I worked at Banc of America Securities

Pros

The Leveraged Finance group provided me with a rigorous and challenging experience. I learned a lot, and made some very good friends (at the analyst and at the associate level). Coming out of the analyst program, I had a solid fundamental understanding of finance and the debt side of the capital markets.

Cons

Compared to friends at Morgan Stanley, Wachovia, etc., I had to be VERY secretive when I was exploring new jobs in private equity. My friends at the aforementioned firms did not - in fact, their firms offered WORKSHOPS for PE interviews (including question answering, model workshops, case study workshops, etc.). We had no such thing, and on top of that I felt like I had to be ridiculous shady about interviewing for fear of getting fired (we were mid layoffs). In the end, I however, I could confide in colleagues with whom I was close and it all worked out, but it was pretty disconcerting to have to be so secretive.

Be clearer with employees about plans for the future and changes happening to the group. Also, the review process was flawed - my comments wouldn't necessarily match my "score," and it was absurd when my friends and I would compare our reviews; it was like they literally just changed the name on the review.

VP Investment Banking

Former Employee - Vice President  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Banc of America Securities

Pros

- relatively stable investment bank with true universal bank platform
    - no "cut throat" competition among bankers
    - great place to learn and get exposure
    - some senior bankers are great to work for and very supportive and it is easy to identify them

Cons

- poor management and lack of information sharing
    - limited deal flow, difficult for large clients to look past the traditional commercial banking platform...although the ML acquisition may change that perspective
    - disproportionate time spent on elephant hunting (marketing/pitching to big clients for big deals)

- share information, involve bankers with decision making
    - leverage junior and mid level bankers to do more than create pitch books
    - pay at least street comp

Merrill Lynch seems to be running the merger and may be the ruin of BofA if you don't watch out.

Current Employee - Research Department Professional  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Department Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at Banc of America Securities

Pros

Smaller operation within a huge corporation. BofA gave the Global Corporate & Investment Bank shelter.

Cons

The bureaucracy of a huge corporation when it came to benefits, etc.

Stop being so enamored with growth. You overdid on the Countrywide and especially the Merrill Lynch acquisitions.

Good Wall St. experience Without Terrible Hours

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Banc of America Securities

Pros

BAS gives you the same basic training as any other Investment Bank and deal flow in certain areas is very strong

Cons

Not being in NY can be challenging and working within the ever changing org structure can become very frustrating over time

Advice would include better feedback and provide more stable work environment by not constantly re-organizing product areas and promote better communication across geographic regions

Worked for Banc of America Securities? Contribute to the Community!