BancVue Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
64 reviews filtered by
3.5
Gabriel Krajicek

Pros
  • Great culture, great management, fantastic employees (in 5 reviews)

• This company WILL achieve it's goals and WILL change the banking industry (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any rapidly growing company, there has been a lot of work that has skewed the work/life balance recently (in 4 reviews)

• Company is experiencing the growing pains of transitioning between a start up and a more formal company (in 5 reviews)

1. Great mission and values!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at BancVue full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work, great people for the most part, lots of growth and changes.

Cons

Sometimes it felt like the company wasn't sure what direction it should go in or focus on so there were a lot of changes and it seemed like certain ideas weren't followed through on or thought through well enough. It was mostly due to growing pains and the state of the company at the time I think.

Focus more on the health of teams given the relationships between team members so that management is more informed as to how the morale is affected overall team functioning. Not sure how it is now but with management being responsible for people on different teams, it made it difficult for managers to have clear insight into the functioning and health of the teams their direct reports were members of. There was a definite disconnect in this sense.

2. BancVue is an amazing company to work for!

Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at BancVue as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is really friendly and eager to help in any way that they can. BancVue is organized into teams and everyone seems to be very happy and like the peoples that they work with. BancVue also has several events and provide awesome benefits for the employees.

Cons

I am an intern so sometimes I have to work on mundane tasks that no one else wants to work on

3. GREAT place to work!

Current Employee - Marketing Launch Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Launch Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at BancVue full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance and the freedom to set your own path. You're never micromanaged, but you know that management and the team is availabile should you need them. You can't beat the culture!

Cons

If I had to say anything, it's that processes change a lot; however, you're well-informed of those changes and provided several online resources as well as accessibility to personnel. Your team is also there to always back you up and help.

You've created a great culture with hard-working, fun-loving employees who believe in the mission. BancVue is one of the best places to work and I would recommend it my friends!

5. Fun culture. The company did a great job at creating a community of employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at BancVue

Pros

Culture, Benefits, Compensation, Leadership, Community

Cons

Dark atmosphere with minimal lights on.

6. Good First Time Internship Experience

Former Intern - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at BancVue as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

A lot of knowledgeable people, great atmosphere that promotes both teamwork and positive attitudes. Overall company policy and goals are really positive and worthwile.

Cons

A bit too relaxed and unstructured, department I was in seemed to be satisfied and not driven.

Keep moving forward!

So Much Potential - But Can They Get Out of Their Own Way?

Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at BancVue full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People, co-workers
    Environment
    Healthy snacks
    Great health benefits - medical, etc.
    Never a boring moment

Cons

Pay
    Egos at exec level
    Shiny object syndrome
    Not enough resources
    Lack of strategic focus
    Expectations are high, and fuzzy at best
    Lack of alignment between execs, and between execs and department heads
    Competing priorities
    Internal communication poor (solving the alignment issue might help this)
    Speeding buses
    Unorganized
    No CTO
    Too many thinkers and not enough do-ers
    Time, energy, money, and resources spent on shiny objects about which there is no understanding of true ROI
    Smart people put in the wrong roles - such as, a product manager who has no clue as to what is required nor the process to launch a product for a client
    "Just make it happen" is a trap, a boulder that will trip you in front of one of those speeding buses
    No understanding of the down-stream impact to client-facing teams as more shiny objects are shoved into the system
    Too cheap to fix the down-stream impact
    President manages by intimidation
    Leadership doesn't learn or listen to what needs to happen and instead brings friends in to solve the problems

If "management" would "seek to understand" the collective cons, or challenges, and start solving those, maybe BancVue will be something some day. Glassdoor offers now 58 reviews with advice, and management is capable of only addressing the easy ones, such as "more snack varieties."

I've worked at BancVue for more than 3 years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at BancVue full-time

Pros

The benefits are really hard to beat. The company really values your work/life balance and encourages its employees to socialize and get to know one another. Gym reimbursements, cheap and great healthcare, and tons of events that allow you to relax and have a beer with your coworker make this company hard to leave. The majority of people who work here are genuine, caring, and respectful. I would have left a while ago if it wasn't for my team and friends at the company.

Cons

Unfortunately I wish I could say only good things about this company, but the other cons in previous reviews are spot on. Friends of the CEO are never held accountable for their shortcomings, but rather shuffled around into roles they are not prepared for (ex. product manager was put in charge of B2B marketing last year...explain that to me?) and keep being promoted while the teams below them suffer for these poor decisions. People are constantly promoted or hired into manager positions who are not ready for it and make working at BancVue a headache. The disorganization and inexperience of these people make those below them gradually hate their job and push them out. Constant shifts in the company's goals due to lack of sales and scrambling for money cause teams to drop what they're doing and switch priorities multiple times throughout the year. We can afford to fly our CMO back and forth from GA each week and pay for all of his expenses, yet our budgets get cut because of sales and poor decisions made by upper management. Hard workers have been fired because of their "position being eliminated," when we're really just scrambling for costs and I wouldn't be surprised if we did have another round of layoffs. If you didn't already guess, I'm on my way out the door - sick of going in circles and seeing the favoritism of the company continue to grow.

It's a shame because the CEO is really genuine and wants the best for his employees. Take a look at your upper management and product channel owners - are they raising the bar or just there because you're friends? If the majority of a team has quit in the past year, that should be a sign. You're pushing all of your hard workers out.

New CEO needed badly

Current Employee - Client Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at BancVue full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours and vacation. Good work/life balance. Really nice people to work with. Free food.

Cons

Growth has pretty much stopped, and for the past few years we are actually heading backwards. We have been able to keep up the image of a young start-up, but most of the people in the company are starting to see thru it.

An increasing number of people are being fired each week. And it doesn't look like that trend is going to stop anytime soon.

Overall, the company has very committed and smart employees. Sadly, the same old management continues to kill any hope of innovation. It's like groundhogs day. The same ideas are recycled over and over again. No one at the top is ever held accountable.

I love our CEO as much as the next guy. But he needs to go. He is the single biggest problem that is keeping us from growing and changing.

Ask yourself, at any other company - after three years of zero growth and constant turnover - would any CEO or CFO still have their job?

For the sake of all of our jobs, please step down! You have done a tremendous job in building this company, but we need a new CEO and a new CFO to bring in fresh ideas.

10. Passionate and innovative place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Austin, TX

I have been working at BancVue full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The CEO and executive team are passionate about what the company is doing and it shows very quickly. There is an excellent culture throughout the company. It embraces change and is always looking to stay ahead of the competition. My favorite aspect is the work/life balance that has existed for me ever since starting to work here. I take time off whenever I need it and am treated as an adult in this regard. I get my work done, but if I need a day to get some errands taken care of, I take it without any questions being asked.

Cons

Consistency from department to department. Allow many departments are great to work in, especially technology, there are a few departments that still run their business in an old non empowered factory line way. These have become fewer as more and more see how efficient empowerment can be.

11. The best place I've ever worked!

Current Employee - Designer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at BancVue full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The overall atmosphere from executive management all the way down is amazing at BancVue. This company has such a clear and caring culture. (Literally, one of the values is love.) While not entirely utopian (every company experiences growing pains) BancVue certainly takes every opportunity to value it's employees.

While the work can sometimes be repetitive, (it serves the banking industry solely) even that is enjoyable because I love my coworkers and managers. Everyone is busy and things can be terribly hectic, yet we all work together to work through things. The company even promotes personal development plans for its employees to encourage and enable its employees to develop skills and interests outside of work.

If I could work at Bancvke forever, I would. We'll see how that goes!

Cons

Salaries could be a little bit higher, but being that BancVue still runs like a startup, the salaries are not bad. Additionally the benefits, employee-directed PTO, and personal development make up for the slightly low salaries in spades.

Keep doing what you are doing! K1K!