Banco Popular De Puerto Rico

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

3.4

Richard L. Carrión

Great company to build a career

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  San Juan, PR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Juan, PR

I worked at Banco Popular De Puerto Rico full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, Training, great opportunity for professional growth.

Cons

I dont really have any complaints of the management or the work environment.

Enjoyed the experience but it is not a career.

Former Employee - Teller  in  Carolina, PR
    Former Employee - Teller in Carolina, PR

I worked at Banco Popular De Puerto Rico full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of learning and skills development for handling cash, state and federal laws. Great responsibilities and prestige. Able to meet a lot of people and contacts.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive. Minimum wage salary when handling large amounts of cash on a daily basis, constant risk and being accountable for specific tasks. To get a monetary incentive for your productivity is almost impossible and the tiniest detail will count to not give it to you. Career opportunities are available to those who are best friends of upper management and not your qualifications or experience.

Bank Representative (or tellers) are the face of the branch to the customers. They should be the compensated accordingly considering the high customer traffic, responsibilities and safety risks on a daily basis.

A stable company very engaged with his country.

Current Employee - Collections  in  San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - Collections in San Juan, PR

I have been working at Banco Popular De Puerto Rico full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pros like good dental and health insurance, 401 k, a stable company.

Cons

Cons in this company salaries are low in comparison with others bank. Only administrative or management jobs have good salaries.

Consider to updates the salaries of regular employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience!!!

I worked at Banco Popular De Puerto Rico full-time

Pros

Schedule, health plan, great management

Cons

Low Compensation and Too much people competing for a few positions

It was a great experience. I had the opportunity to be part of an intership and it was great to be able to work and see so many different divisions in the bank. The salary was low but the M-F 8-5 schedule compensated for it.

Rewarding

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager  in  San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in San Juan, PR

Pros

Excellent experience for anyone who wants to start a career in banking and financial services.

Cons

There is nothing wrong I can say about this bank.

Definetly a company that promotes developtment of their staff

There have been some ups and downs while working in the bank but the overall experience have been good.

Current Employee - Adjuster  in  San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - Adjuster in San Juan, PR

I have been working at Banco Popular De Puerto Rico part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The bank is a monopoly and that makes it easier when it comes to doing business. If you study finance they have lots of areas where you can gain experience in a wide area of fields.

Cons

The pay its not par with the responsabilities that they will give you. There its a lot of bureocracy and the middle management is mediocre

Be more selective when it comes to selecting people for supervisor positions. Employes are human, they are not robots. You could get sick more than 4 times a year.

It was an experience that help me grow as a professional.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  San Juan, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Juan, TX

I worked at Banco Popular De Puerto Rico full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked in a organize environment steady environment. My employes where very professional and it was very rewarding to hear the clients happy after help them.

Cons

There was personal growth but because of the type of degree I had it was not very related to me. When I leave the economical recession that approximately began on 2007 was beginning and there where a lot of changes.

I won't have an specific advice for the management because I honestly think they did a good job while I work there.

Micro managing managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Banco Popular De Puerto Rico full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

not very many, difficult place to get things done

Cons

micro managing managers, poor product selection, some manage by fear and intimidation

Finance

I worked at Banco Popular De Puerto Rico

Pros

Compare to average, good benefits, lot of holidays, vacations, depending on your area there is a balance with your personal life.

Cons

Working in this bank is working with a dinasty. Your salary will be the most miserable you ever imagine, even if you work in a division where make a lot of mny. Lateral mobility were almost impossible, managers retain good employees disguising your annual review with one poor performance
     making you think that this is an area of opportunity, in the end there is no lateral movement with one of your metric in the low score. I still have good highly intelligent fellows stuck there because management is extremely elite. Salaries disparities remember me countries like Africa you could be earning $23k and fellows doing less than you, less responsability could be earning over $90k or $150k everything is possible. If you have connections you will be fine. Make sure to bring your Master Degree from Oxford United Kindom and have good salary negotiation skills.

Many SVP are there for connections, many good talented worker are on lower level and will never have the opportunity to advance in the company ladder do to elitism.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Juan, PR

I have been working at Banco Popular De Puerto Rico full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great employees Great Managers Understanding Managers

Cons

low salary uncomprehending Senior Managers

Worked for Banco Popular De Puerto Rico? Contribute to the Community!