Bandwidth Reviews

Reset
3.7
Bandwidth Co-Founder and CEO David Morken
David Morken

Pros
  • There is a lot of focus on work life balance which helps me be more productive during the day and do my job to the best of my ability (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits for me and family (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is so-so but definitely frowned upon if you don't answer your emails in the evenings or weekends (in 5 reviews)

• When the company was smaller it was easier for the CEO and upper management to keep their pulse on how people felt (in 7 reviews)

Incredible Environment

I have been working at Bandwidth

Pros

The people are the best part of the company. Everyone is so supportive of each other's work and it generates such a positive working environment.

Cons

No real cons in my mind- they provide great benefits, awesome people, many internal growth opportunities, and tons of fitness challenges that push you to take time for mental and physical health.

Market Research Intern

Current Employee - Marketing Research Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Marketing Research Intern in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Bandwidth

Pros

Great experience thus far! If you are really motivated and determined you can stretch your reach to different departments at Bandwidth. If someone sees potential in you, they will recommend you to other projects. Your efforts and contributions are definitely recognized and appreciated.

Cons

Thought catering was free, first day was an upset :( , but it's understandable for a big company with many employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Customer Advocate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Bandwidth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits such as gym membership, workout classes in the office and a great selection of food and drinks.

Cons

Communication was all over the place. Ironic considering it is a communications company.

Advice to Management

Do not hire your temps as managers, they clearly do not know what they are doing.

A modern, well formed, telephony business. Still trying hard to be the best in the industry.

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Bandwidth

Pros

Willing to give brilliant, eccentric coders everything they need to thrive, even those that might not fit in with more traditionally structured businesses.

Cons

Running out of ways to make the telephony industry feel fresh. Beginning to see feature delivery paralysis due to internal system complexity.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Work hard, strive to be the best, care about your people. Continue to be honest and transparent.

A lot of fluff and not much substance

Former Employee - NOC Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - NOC Technician in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Bandwidth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros mostly revolved around the extra curricular activities. Anyone who worked out was able to take an extra half hour for lunch which was nice because you could shower. There were a lot of events that people could take part in. Bandwidth gives back to the community. Christmas party and picnic every year were nice.

Cons

When compared with other places I have worked, the pros I mentioned took away from the professionalism too much. It's almost like a romper room there. There is a balance between work and fun and because they don't want to be be too stiff they end up crossing over into too loose. Some of the people who get hired or moved into management positions wouldn't manage at other companies I have worked for. Good managers do more than just show up, they look to cultivate the skills their employees have but at bandwidth they just had meetings about meetings. So you would stay in the same role forever. But it is your duty to find the next position but keep in mind that not all positions get posted for everyone to apply for. Most of the time they just slide a favorite in there and say "we had to make a quick decision and fill the position."

Advice to Management

You are management I shouldn't have to give you advice. Seriously though, get involved and involved doesn't mean walk around and ask people how they are doing. Or having meetings that are held for the sake of having a meeting. Everyone loves the CEO and he is all right but a lot of it is just smiles. Just like a lot of management there, they say one thing like "open door policy" or "we don't play favorites" but that's been proven untrue time and again. Putting someone in a role directly instead of posting it can be called a judgement call all day long but it is really another way of saying "we put our favorite there."

Work to the inner circle and forever be protected.

I have been working at Bandwidth full-time

Pros

Family oriented, growing, focused, work/life balance - If you want to sit tight and enjoy the comradeship, too can be here for awhile.

Cons

Political, narrow minded at times.If you want to excel and push the envelope, be prepared to be frustrated in silence.

Great benefits, zombie land.

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Cary, NC

I worked at Bandwidth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible benefits, nice long break for lunch, sports encouraged. As others mention - good events (who doesn't like free beer at work?) CEO is one of the nicest, most genuine people, who knows everyone's name.

Cons

Exceptionally little training. For sales team there was no real direction. Employees in all departments like the fun culture and benefits, but not their actual jobs. I stuck around less than a year because it felt very dead end. I understand they've diversified since, but when I was there it felt like being a digital camera salesman after smartphones became ubiquitous.

Advice to Management

Have actual training set up. For middle management, people below you are aware you do very little throughout the day besides socialize with one another. I'd never encourage micro-managing, but be more engaged with employees you manage.

Voted best places to work for good reason

Current Employee - Product Development in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Product Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Bandwidth

Pros

Customers love Bandwidth. Business continues to grow. Very profitable. Staffing top talent. Opportunities to develop inovative ideas. Agile s/w development. Great fitness culture.

Cons

No local reaturants. Elevators are really slow. Having the company distributed across several locations adds communication complexity and inhibits speed.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in disruptive ideas. Stay true to the culture you've created, its working.

Not what it used to be...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Bandwidth

Pros

Work life balance and 90-minute lunches are the big perks at Bandwidth. You can essentially come and go as you please so long is there isn't a huge project looming, at which point they grind developers to the bone. Paid insurance premiums are nice. Lots of free t-shirts. Fun co-workers. The CEO is truly a great man and knows everyone by name.

Cons

Management seems to lack a sense of direction; priorities change on almost a daily basis with little explanation as to why. There isn't much room for growth internally and pay is generally much lower than other companies in the area. Generally no clear career path; if you ask about it, you'll get a generalized answer and a loose promise of something down the road with little follow through. No bonuses or stock options for most employees. Very top heavy - directors and VPs for just about everything you can think of. Some don't even have anyone reporting to them. HR needs a tough look under the magnifying glass - It's hard to get a timely response on anything that runs through HR including interviews/hiring, compensation reviews or personnel issues. Lots of turnover in the past year.

Advice to Management

Go back to your roots and evaluate why so many talented people are leaving. Free t-shirts and workout lunches only go so far. Review your compensation structure and get on par with the rest of the industry. While pay has always been an issue at Bandwidth, opportunity for growth was there several years ago. It's now been capped by the hiring of so many managers, directors, and VPs. Keep the benefits free as long as you can (if not for this, more people would probably leave). Improve communication and inform others about the reasons for sudden changes and seemingly knee-jerk decisions. Bandwidth has the potential to be so much more than what it is.

11. fast paced fun

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Bandwidth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

cutting edge technology and cool products

Cons

underutilize employees who want to grow

Advice to Management

take a little more time in planning

RSS Feed </> Embed