Bandwidth

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Bandwidth CEO and President David Morken

David Morken

Couldn't be happier!

ProsI have worked at Bandwidth for year now and couldn't be happier. Its so refreshing to work with people who not only care about the core mission but also care about you. There is a lot of focus on work life balance which helps me be more productive during the day and do my job to the best of my ability. If you are looking to learn and grow in your career, Bandwidth is the place for you.

ConsTravel time to get to work!!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Not all it claims to be

ProsGreat benefits for me and family. Fun activities. Most of the worker bee's are great people. A lot of perks that the same tech companies locally have.

ConsWork life balance sucks. Sure we get to leave by 6, but what they fail to tell you is how many hours we're working that night and weekend from the house because of poor management. And we aren't supposed to work on vacations, but when your managers frown upon you not being available and can't get things done because they're useless you can't exactly say no so you lose your job.

A lot of managers are under qualified for their titles. It's like taking direction from a 10 year old. It's insulting to those who actually know what they're doing to high-five an idiot VP every day.

It's hard to do anything you're proud of when there's not much taking place.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop preaching what you think your company it is and instead make sure.

Sinking ship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits and perks...for those that like shiny things. Nice building, lots of pictures and play time. Beer. Fun stuff. Happy things. Read on...

ConsThe culture is not what it once was. I would completely echo the sentiment of many others who have given reviews, and say that there is a definite good ole boys network here. Too much cronyism. The systems have always been variations of duct tape and string. If you're looking to come into a development role, don't count on beig able to have say in macro level decisions such as languages, frameworks, architecture, etc. There are already key players in place that will at the end of the day decide these things. You should in effect expect to be a grunt worker or at best a glorified grunt worker. Historically there has been little if any emphasis on automated testing, so it is a crap shoot as to whether existing and new things will work. Morale tends to stay low because of excessive amounts of work built up and time spent on tackling accrued technical debt. The development teams claim to follow agile methodology but do it lip service. The culture went from flat to deeply hierarchical rather quickly as the size of th company has grown. More middle managers than you can shake a stick at. I would also echo the sentiment that you're status and subsequent level of enjoyment and compensation are largely dictated by your role. Developers and their managers are definitely at the top of the food chain. Many long time employees have moved on over the last few years, and some were historically pivotal in the direction and progression of the company. Marketing of the culture and media gimmicks have done well to promote the company as "the place to be", but scratch just bellow the surface and you will find a company and culture that has started to rot. Th founder is too far removed from what really goes on day to day to have the cultural influence he once had.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe founder should clean house and regroup. Flatten the structure out, stop focusing so much on superficial and material aspects of the culture and reinvest in cultivating the deep meaningful culture and drive that was once there. Culture cannot be bought or marketed from on high. It comes from within. And slow the heck down for a change and address those things that really matter. Stop bailing scope and creating technical debt.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I never want to leave!

ProsCulture:
    From the moment I walked in the door for my interview, I knew I wanted to work at Bandwidth. I had never heard of the company, but I applied on a whim and I am so glad that I did. The people that work in this company are so passionate and dedicated to what they do every day. The culture is what makes Bandwidth what it is. People want to be at work. They want to work to make the company better. There is such a strong sense of teamwork and companionship in every project that is created.

Benefits:
    The benefits at Bandwidth are amazing. Probably the most noted and awesome of these is the health focus. Bandwidth pushes to get people healthy and active with options including fresh fruit in the break rooms, 1.5 hour "fitness" lunch, on campus fitness classes, and a free gym membership with consistent attendance. Plus, to add back to the strong culture, there are team fitness challenges which encourage the company as a whole to achieve different fitness goals.

Recruitment:
    The people that Bandwidth hires are truly "the best." It takes time to bring someone on the team to make sure that that person not only fits the job description, but also fits within our culture. That is a part of why people love this company; they truly love what they do and love who they work with. The people who work here, want to come to work in the morning. They look forward to what they can accomplish on a day-to-day basis.

CEO:
    Here we are, about to break 400 people strong, and our CEO knows just about every name of every person in our company plus he can usually remember where you've worked, your family members' names, and lots of other details. He's so personable on an employee level, but he's also very professional and passionate about his job. He loves what he does and takes care not only of the business, but of his people too.

ConsAs of right now, I have nothing to complain about. It is such an awesome place to be.

Exceptional company

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsDavid Morken, incredible leadership, visionary, innovative, lots of smart people, great work-life balance, outstanding benefits, solid compensation, amazing culture, strong focus on helping others, great incentives for wellness like exercise programs for PTO

Consbonus plan, more stake in the game like profit sharing or options, lack of processes can be difficult at times

Great place to let your career stagnate!

Manager (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsStellar health benefits, emphasis on fitness.

ConsManagement has no vision for the future of the company. They are constantly chasing the next thing they hope will make the upper tier rich, while forcing the worker bees to work 24/7. Since the organization functions in a constant state of disarray, any claims of work/life balance are a joke (and probably written by HR in response to the real reviews which are negative). In my time there we were mandated to be on call and working on nights, weekends and even Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Between the constant lay-offs of middle management, plus many departures you can expect to have a new boss every few months. There are 0 plans for development or career growth. In fact many employees don't even have job descriptions and their roles are constantly being changed.

The other claims about the boys clubs clique are 100% true. You won't move up at Bandwidth because one of the senior managers will hire a friend or old frat brother to do a job they are not qualified for, instead of developing existing staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house, get back to your roots.

Great Company!!!

NOC Monitoring Technician (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits, Great CEO Awesome Work Place

ConsNo CONs, this is a great company

Bad place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you like working with a bunch of kids

ConsManagement is weak and so is products

Temporary employee for less than a month

Raleigh, NC

ProsCulture is fantastic. Do NOT be discouraged by the negativity of some reviews here. I've learned over time that usually the negativity is because someone didn't get their way about something.
    There definitely is not the "Big Company" feel that you get with some other places.
    People actually LOVE their jobs!
    There is a great "team" mentality. Everyone works together towards a common goal.
    There is pretty good communication, but I may be slightly biased because my last company had zero communication.

ConsTraining is more of a "trial by fire" training. You shadow somebody for a couple of hours to get the hang of the systems, and then you're kind of on your own -- However, you do have a LOT of support from everyone on the team.
    No benefits for temporary employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. From what I've seen, you're doing great!

Not OK

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsCEO - He is probably the best thing in Bandwidth. You will get 1.5 hour of lunch if you are work out kind of guy. You will be served beer on thursday after noon and lots of endorsement deal with local people.

ConsThere is not real path. The company is putting to much emphasis on becoming next google or facebook and wasting money on silly idea. If you are good speaker and know flattering the senior management you would be happy but if you are a strategic person who do right then you will not survive here. Their API are not strong because that has been developed by some developer speak a lot and believe in show off.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some real technical people who have some knowledge not just good presentation skill. Write one or two good application or program rather than chasing the rabbit. I literally hear from my director is to make the application without any design in his word " just finish the work and we will see if that would survive or not"

Worked for Bandwidth? Contribute to the Community!

Bandwidth Videos

Bandwidth – Why Work for Us?

Products & Services from Bandwidth.com Everything your business needs to communicate Phonebooth Phonebooth OnDemand is a hosted VoIP business phone system that gives small business owners the flexibility and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bandwidth reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bandwidth CEO David Morken. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Bandwidth employees.