Banfield Pet Hospital

Updated October 13, 2014
2.8

Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber
Tony Ueber

Pros
  • Full time benefits are good with insurance, free wellness plans, discounts (in 45 reviews)

• Being able to work with animals, client relationships, learning experience (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone has different goals and the work-life balance at Banfield is non-existent (in 18 reviews)

• Make no mistake, no matter your position, you are there to sell wellness plans (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to gain experience, but don't stay forever...

Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time

Pros

Nice work life balance at headquarters, positive mission, some nice perks, growing company

Cons

Very little upward mobility, many inept leaders, very much a drink-the-kool-aid type of environment

The CEO seems like a great guy and leader but he needs to put more effective and forward thinking people in leadership roles. Leadership needs to focus on results and doing what is best for the company, not how to constantly play the politics to protect their own positions. Lots of managers, but very few actual leaders in role...

Underpaid, under appreciated and over worked

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits for full time employees are pretty nice. Dental and vision are excellent, but medical has a high deductible. The HSA money they give you each year is awesome. I love the three "free" but taxed wellness plans for my pets and wouldn't work there if I didn't get those. I also like that when you learn your job, you are given a lot of responsibility and trust. I also love that Banfield stands for preventive care and helping people afford these things more easily.

Cons

I have worked for Banfield as a Vet Assistant for almost three years now. I have made two minor raises each year and am still only making less than $13/hour. The pay is basically horrible for the type of work that is required of VAs. We work our butts off with very little compensation. The corporation is horrible in the fact that you are a tiny little fish in a giant sea. The corporate money makers don't care at all about the hospital workers who are doing the dirty work. Our hospital has a ton of employee/doctor turnover and it's a struggle to keep things consistent. Basically I am only working there still because I have established myself there and can pretty much get whatever shifts and time off that I want.

The corporate big wigs need to at least pretend to care that the hospital workers exist. An over-all company raise for the minions would definitely help with employee happiness and prevent turnover.

Could be great for some

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It always depends on your manager. Company has a bright future and wants to do the right thing. Being part of Mars, Inc. is pretty awesome. Company is pretty good at getting people cross-trained and really promotes wellness.

Cons

Again, it always depends on your manager. If you don't have a good manager, you won't have a good experience. The company isn't always good at spotting bad managers if their numbers are good. They have good associate satisfaction surveys and really try, but it would be good if the directors were more aware. Company is still working to overcome a bad reputation from years ago so there is a stigma that isn't relevant anymore. The medical benefits seem better than they really are.

The 5 Principles are really great - work harder to pay attention to your managers to make sure they are actually using the Principles. Get out of meetings and onto the floor more at CTS. Your DVMs want to be heard more. It's NOT a case of corporate telling doctors how to practice, but the DVMs want more input on the way things are done.

Great company

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great organization where you get to help pets, clients and get work with a great group of people. Additionally you get to learn so much medically and about the industry,

Cons

Some departments work in silos and management doesn't always hire qualified candidates for the right positions. This puts a lot of extra work on the peers of those that do not have the necessary skills to pick up the slack and cover the work they are unable to complete.

Ensure employees have right skill sets to perform the duties in their role. Distribute work evenly and don't overload the hard workers because others can not pull their weight.

Run while you can

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with people who truly care about pets. Okay benefits and free wellness plans

Cons

Consistently denied breaks, lunch breaks cut short reprimanded for complaining about it, I have been working here for 3 years and only make 11.50, overworked and understaffed, hours cut to barely full time, dismissive attitude toward staff concerns

If you are actually concerned about employee turnover and engagement you could try listening to us

Great Place to work at their home office!

Former Employee - Client Financial Service in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Client Financial Service in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Banfield had great wages for call center work, with nice monthly bonuses. The managers for their Financial Services team had some stumbles, but by the end it was fantastic team that I was sorry to leave.

Cons

Not much interaction as a team, you would get off the phones on average once a week for a 20 minute 'huddle' and even that was introduced after I joined. You're there for one thing, to make money back or the company. Very hard to move up in the company

Perhaps bring some interaction to your team a little more? They were working on it when I left though.

No collaboration on group projects

Former Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is on a good growth trend and pays their employees really well.

Cons

No collaboration amongst team members while working on team projects. People are very clicky.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Since MARS acquisition the culture has changed to be more open. There is still room for growth but the direction is right. Employee engagement is seemingly important so they are attempting to listen to employees more. Great bonuses.

Cons

Senior management is not in touch with what's going on with individual contributors. Senior management is often unavailable. Management "talks the talk" but doesn't "walk the walk". "Employee engagement" and the "Five Principles" are often viewed as a joke by individual contributors. I think this is all due to growing pains. There has been improvement in this area, but there is a long way to go. Raises are terrible, training is non-existent.

Raises are a joke, medical benefits are bad. They pay more for people hired into positions than people promoted into positions so long-term employment is seemingly not appreciated. This is what causes people to doubt the sincerity of the engagement efforts and the five principles.

Politics, corporate greed, and clueless leadership

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time

Pros

It's great to be around pets all day, and to be able to visit at the hospitals as a corporate employee is fantastic. The doctors do a great job with what stress they are put under. The equipment they have in their hospitals seem to be pretty good, although their blood analyzers (CBT) are outdated.

Cons

The leadership at corporate is almost entirely focused on money. How to get more people signed up on wellness plans, how to make the doctors work more hours, and how to hire the least expensive techs. They constantly monitor the financial performance of the hospitals, yet don't monitor the medical quality much at all. They make you wait several months before your benefits kick in, and even then it's a really high deductible. High occurrences of pet deaths across all hospitals without in depth analysis of why they occurred is very scary. Doctors are mostly fresh out of school and are not given much downtime to attend continuing ed opportunities.

I'll give some, but they are so arrogant and headstrong they likely won't listen. Get balanced in your approach to measurements of performance. It's not all about the money. Treat people with respect, and really live the values you say you believe in. Stop pretending to take input from associates, and actually listen.

Good people, weird culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Still miss my co-workers. For the most part people try to do the right thing, the best way possible. Good bonus, that everyone in the company participates in. Good pay, at least in my experience.

Cons

Mars culture is just plain weird, and the Gallup Q12 is the worlds largest raft of organic soil amendment. But if that doesn't bother you, step right up. Began to feel i was surrounded by a bunch of Stepford People; buzzwords flying faster than you could possibly attend and everyone nodding along glassy-eyed. Watch your back around certain middle managers.

why waste my breath.

Banfield Pet Hospital Photos

Commit to Get Fit with Dolvett!!!
office dogs!