Banfield Pet Hospital

Tony Ueber

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Portland, OR

ProsSince MARS acquisition the culture has changed to be more open. There is still room for growth but the direction is right. Employee engagement is seemingly important so they are attempting to listen to employees more. Great bonuses.

ConsSenior management is not in touch with what's going on with individual contributors. Senior management is often unavailable. Management "talks the talk" but doesn't "walk the walk". "Employee engagement" and the "Five Principles" are often viewed as a joke by individual contributors. I think this is all due to growing pains. There has been improvement in this area, but there is a long way to go. Raises are terrible, training is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaises are a joke, medical benefits are bad. They pay more for people hired into positions than people promoted into positions so long-term employment is seemingly not appreciated. This is what causes people to doubt the sincerity of the engagement efforts and the five principles.

Politics, corporate greed, and clueless leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsIt's great to be around pets all day, and to be able to visit at the hospitals as a corporate employee is fantastic. The doctors do a great job with what stress they are put under. The equipment they have in their hospitals seem to be pretty good, although their blood analyzers (CBT) are outdated.

ConsThe leadership at corporate is almost entirely focused on money. How to get more people signed up on wellness plans, how to make the doctors work more hours, and how to hire the least expensive techs. They constantly monitor the financial performance of the hospitals, yet don't monitor the medical quality much at all. They make you wait several months before your benefits kick in, and even then it's a really high deductible. High occurrences of pet deaths across all hospitals without in depth analysis of why they occurred is very scary. Doctors are mostly fresh out of school and are not given much downtime to attend continuing ed opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'll give some, but they are so arrogant and headstrong they likely won't listen. Get balanced in your approach to measurements of performance. It's not all about the money. Treat people with respect, and really live the values you say you believe in. Stop pretending to take input from associates, and actually listen.

Good people, weird culture.

Portland, OR

ProsStill miss my co-workers. For the most part people try to do the right thing, the best way possible. Good bonus, that everyone in the company participates in. Good pay, at least in my experience.

ConsMars culture is just plain weird, and the Gallup Q12 is the worlds largest raft of organic soil amendment. But if that doesn't bother you, step right up. Began to feel i was surrounded by a bunch of Stepford People; buzzwords flying faster than you could possibly attend and everyone nodding along glassy-eyed. Watch your back around certain middle managers.

Advice to Senior Managementwhy waste my breath.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cust rev

Client Financial (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsGreat facility, great place to work for dog/cat owners

ConsHigh turnover, will make up a reason to fire anyone once you start to advance

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pushing your work off on subordinates and gossiping all day.

Great place to work

Portland, OR

ProsThis company is very focused on professional development, providing support and is growing, so the opportunity to promote or move into another area of interest is very great. I enjoy my team as we're all very experienced professionals and excited about what we do. It's an open, collaborative environment with the opportunity to really be able to make a direct impact the to business and it's vision/goals.

ConsIt's a big organization that's very complex and can be somewhat difficult to navigate at times. It can take some time to learn, but once you get it down, you're golden!

Love it

Practice Manager (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsEverything is amazing here at Banfield

ConsNothing really everything is great

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

NOT FOR CREATIVE PROFESSIONALS

Design Services Manager (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsWorking side by side with animal lovers to improve the health and lifespan of pets was the best part of being at Banfield. However, this was unfortunately not enough to make the negative aspects of the work environment tolerable enough to truly enjoy working there.

ConsPlease be advised that this place is NOT FOR CREATIVE PROFESSIONALS. If you are looking for a fun, progressive work environment where you can make a large creative contribution and also grow your portfolio, this is NOT the place for you. They demonstrate very little value in new ideas and outside-the-box thinking. They do not understand how to structure an effective creative team, and this impedes the creative growth potential of those working there. There is also no career growth within the company for those outside of the veterinary medical industry. If you are a motivated creative professional with a passion for design and a desire to contribute your knowledge and experience, then do yourself and your career a favor and avoid working for Banfield Pet Hospital.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to new ideas, learn from those who have experience in things that are outside of the current scope of the team. Empower your employees.

Doing what you do best, everyday!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

Pros-Awesome work environment
    -Passionate associates
    -5 Principles adopted by everyone
    -Clear vision
    -Recognition and development opportunities

Cons-Worklife balance can be a challenge sometimes
    -Collaboration across teams can be improved

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to recognize our challenges and seek feedback. Being heard and being transparent is appreciated and helps us to understand the work ahead of us.

Opportunities to grow

Portland, OR

ProsI have worked at banfield for 3 yearts. In those 3 years I have been given many opportunities to grow and develop and have been promoted to a position that allows me to utilize my talents best. The team I work with is passionate and hard working and truly care about people.

ConsIt is very busy, so remembering to manage my own work life balance is very important.

Couldn't find a better place than this!

Talent Acquisition Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsBanfield is full. of caring and friendly staff. Along with great co-workers the company has a vision and is going places. Better come get on board, because this train is leaving!

ConsNothing to complain about at this company.

Worked for Banfield Pet Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Banfield Pet Hospital – Why Work for Us?

Partnership. Teamwork. Collaboration. Back in 1955, Banfield Pet Hospital was founded on a vision to make the best quality medicine available to pets. Since that time, we have lived that promise and promoted the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banfield Pet Hospital reviews and ratings in Portland, OR — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Banfield Pet Hospital CEO Tony Ueber. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Banfield Pet Hospital employees.