Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews in Portland, OR

Updated July 23, 2014

2.9

Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber
Tony Ueber

Pros
  • Benefits are good, discounts at petsmart and free wellness plans (in 38 reviews)

• Being able to work with animals, client relationships, learning experience (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can sometimes be a challenge when you are in leadership positions (in 13 reviews)

• Pay is absolutly terrible, Have to use PTO to get full time hours to get benefits (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to work at their home office!

Former Employee - Client Financial Service  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Client Financial Service in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Banfield had great wages for call center work, with nice monthly bonuses. The managers for their Financial Services team had some stumbles, but by the end it was fantastic team that I was sorry to leave.

Cons

Not much interaction as a team, you would get off the phones on average once a week for a 20 minute 'huddle' and even that was introduced after I joined. You're there for one thing, to make money back or the company. Very hard to move up in the company

Perhaps bring some interaction to your team a little more? They were working on it when I left though.

No collaboration on group projects

Former Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is on a good growth trend and pays their employees really well.

Cons

No collaboration amongst team members while working on team projects. People are very clicky.

Great place to work

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Since MARS acquisition the culture has changed to be more open. There is still room for growth but the direction is right. Employee engagement is seemingly important so they are attempting to listen to employees more. Great bonuses.

Cons

Senior management is not in touch with what's going on with individual contributors. Senior management is often unavailable. Management "talks the talk" but doesn't "walk the walk". "Employee engagement" and the "Five Principles" are often viewed as a joke by individual contributors. I think this is all due to growing pains. There has been improvement in this area, but there is a long way to go. Raises are terrible, training is non-existent.

Raises are a joke, medical benefits are bad. They pay more for people hired into positions than people promoted into positions so long-term employment is seemingly not appreciated. This is what causes people to doubt the sincerity of the engagement efforts and the five principles.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Politics, corporate greed, and clueless leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time

Pros

It's great to be around pets all day, and to be able to visit at the hospitals as a corporate employee is fantastic. The doctors do a great job with what stress they are put under. The equipment they have in their hospitals seem to be pretty good, although their blood analyzers (CBT) are outdated.

Cons

The leadership at corporate is almost entirely focused on money. How to get more people signed up on wellness plans, how to make the doctors work more hours, and how to hire the least expensive techs. They constantly monitor the financial performance of the hospitals, yet don't monitor the medical quality much at all. They make you wait several months before your benefits kick in, and even then it's a really high deductible. High occurrences of pet deaths across all hospitals without in depth analysis of why they occurred is very scary. Doctors are mostly fresh out of school and are not given much downtime to attend continuing ed opportunities.

I'll give some, but they are so arrogant and headstrong they likely won't listen. Get balanced in your approach to measurements of performance. It's not all about the money. Treat people with respect, and really live the values you say you believe in. Stop pretending to take input from associates, and actually listen.

Good people, weird culture.

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Still miss my co-workers. For the most part people try to do the right thing, the best way possible. Good bonus, that everyone in the company participates in. Good pay, at least in my experience.

Cons

Mars culture is just plain weird, and the Gallup Q12 is the worlds largest raft of organic soil amendment. But if that doesn't bother you, step right up. Began to feel i was surrounded by a bunch of Stepford People; buzzwords flying faster than you could possibly attend and everyone nodding along glassy-eyed. Watch your back around certain middle managers.

why waste my breath.

Cust rev

Current Employee - Client Financial  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Client Financial in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great facility, great place to work for dog/cat owners

Cons

High turnover, will make up a reason to fire anyone once you start to advance

Stop pushing your work off on subordinates and gossiping all day.

Love it

Current Employee - Practice Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Everything is amazing here at Banfield

Cons

Nothing really everything is great

None

Great place to work

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company is very focused on professional development, providing support and is growing, so the opportunity to promote or move into another area of interest is very great. I enjoy my team as we're all very experienced professionals and excited about what we do. It's an open, collaborative environment with the opportunity to really be able to make a direct impact the to business and it's vision/goals.

Cons

It's a big organization that's very complex and can be somewhat difficult to navigate at times. It can take some time to learn, but once you get it down, you're golden!

NOT FOR CREATIVE PROFESSIONALS

Former Employee - Design Services Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Design Services Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working side by side with animal lovers to improve the health and lifespan of pets was the best part of being at Banfield. However, this was unfortunately not enough to make the negative aspects of the work environment tolerable enough to truly enjoy working there.

Cons

Please be advised that this place is NOT FOR CREATIVE PROFESSIONALS. If you are looking for a fun, progressive work environment where you can make a large creative contribution and also grow your portfolio, this is NOT the place for you. They demonstrate very little value in new ideas and outside-the-box thinking. They do not understand how to structure an effective creative team, and this impedes the creative growth potential of those working there. There is also no career growth within the company for those outside of the veterinary medical industry. If you are a motivated creative professional with a passion for design and a desire to contribute your knowledge and experience, then do yourself and your career a favor and avoid working for Banfield Pet Hospital.

Be open to new ideas, learn from those who have experience in things that are outside of the current scope of the team. Empower your employees.

Opportunities to grow

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked at banfield for 3 yearts. In those 3 years I have been given many opportunities to grow and develop and have been promoted to a position that allows me to utilize my talents best. The team I work with is passionate and hard working and truly care about people.

Cons

It is very busy, so remembering to manage my own work life balance is very important.

Worked for Banfield Pet Hospital? Contribute to the Community!