Banfield Pet Hospital

Updated September 12, 2014
2.9

Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber
Tony Ueber

Pros
  • Benefits are good, discounts at petsmart and free wellness plans (in 38 reviews)

• Being able to work with animals, client relationships, learning experience (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can sometimes be a challenge when you are in leadership positions (in 13 reviews)

• Pay is absolutly terrible, Have to use PTO to get full time hours to get benefits (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Underpaid, under appreciated and over worked

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits for full time employees are pretty nice. Dental and vision are excellent, but medical has a high deductible. The HSA money they give you each year is awesome. I love the three "free" but taxed wellness plans for my pets and wouldn't work there if I didn't get those. I also like that when you learn your job, you are given a lot of responsibility and trust. I also love that Banfield stands for preventive care and helping people afford these things more easily.

Cons

I have worked for Banfield as a Vet Assistant for almost three years now. I have made two minor raises each year and am still only making less than $13/hour. The pay is basically horrible for the type of work that is required of VAs. We work our butts off with very little compensation. The corporation is horrible in the fact that you are a tiny little fish in a giant sea. The corporate money makers don't care at all about the hospital workers who are doing the dirty work. Our hospital has a ton of employee/doctor turnover and it's a struggle to keep things consistent. Basically I am only working there still because I have established myself there and can pretty much get whatever shifts and time off that I want.

The corporate big wigs need to at least pretend to care that the hospital workers exist. An over-all company raise for the minions would definitely help with employee happiness and prevent turnover.

Great people in the office

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing Banfield had going for them was the people in the office. I really enjoyed working with almost everyone there.

Cons

A huge negative was that regional management and up were the only ones with real power to do anything. They were driven by numbers/money and it really hurt the relationships with clients.

Banfield is a nationwide company and they want the store to be cookie-cutter everywhere. They want you to get the same experience everywhere. On paper, that is great. However, each Banfield is going to have different general clientele. Let the Practice Manager make some adjustments based on where they are.

Could be great for some

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

It always depends on your manager. Company has a bright future and wants to do the right thing. Being part of Mars, Inc. is pretty awesome. Company is pretty good at getting people cross-trained and really promotes wellness.

Cons

Again, it always depends on your manager. If you don't have a good manager, you won't have a good experience. The company isn't always good at spotting bad managers if their numbers are good. They have good associate satisfaction surveys and really try, but it would be good if the directors were more aware. Company is still working to overcome a bad reputation from years ago so there is a stigma that isn't relevant anymore. The medical benefits seem better than they really are.

The 5 Principles are really great - work harder to pay attention to your managers to make sure they are actually using the Principles. Get out of meetings and onto the floor more at CTS. Your DVMs want to be heard more. It's NOT a case of corporate telling doctors how to practice, but the DVMs want more input on the way things are done.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible pay, questionable staffing.

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoy my team and we get along well. The benefits are great.

Cons

I don't trust some of the doctors to the point that I avoid bringing my personal pet in on days that these individuals are working, because I simply don't trust them.
    The pay is terrible-- how can you possibly expect someone, who has the knowledge that we do, and performs the tasks that we do (ANESTHETIZING PETS, drawing blood, administering medications, etc.) to be happy at a $12/hr pay! It is NOT worth it.
    Again, the pay is awful.

Respect your staff. Pay us better. Trust us. We keep this place running.

Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great organization where you get to help pets, clients and get work with a great group of people. Additionally you get to learn so much medically and about the industry,

Cons

Some departments work in silos and management doesn't always hire qualified candidates for the right positions. This puts a lot of extra work on the peers of those that do not have the necessary skills to pick up the slack and cover the work they are unable to complete.

Ensure employees have right skill sets to perform the duties in their role. Distribute work evenly and don't overload the hard workers because others can not pull their weight.

A place to learn the ups and downs of animal medicine at a fast pace.

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great hands on with animals, learn alot about medicine and how it applies to specific ailments, training both physically and through media, hands on with surgeries, exposed to different breeds of dogs and cats, working with medical data software

Cons

Working 10+ hours most week days and weekends, fast pace, unfair pay, pay increases by the cent, moving up in the company is rare, physically demanding, high turnover rate, not getting enough paid hours, pushing services on clients to increase numbers for the company in order to have enough hours to work.

Make time for your employees to have a viable life. Pay your nurses more money to compensate for sacrifces of the job. Many nurses enjoy the job but are not being valued with the time and money deserved.

No reason to stay at long-term

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Basically free pet care. Able to learn a LOT. Depending on the hospital location, can get a lot of experience with high volume, which translates nice onto a resume. Company is usually pretty good about time-off requests. They are willing to be flexible with hours if a family emergency comes up. Being in such a close, tight-nit environment, it can be fun coming to work if you get along with your co-workers. The Wellness Plans they offer really are an amazing way to save money for puppies and kittens (glad I know about them for the future!).

Cons

Raises are ridiculous. Employees are just a bunch of sheep to the higher-ups in corporate. We don't have a lot of say in what goes on in our own hospital. We just do what corporate tells us. No real incentive to stay for a long period of time. Raises don't get better the longer you're there and there's not really any opportunity for bonuses or anything. Don't have a good strong training program. Will take years to actually fire someone, even if the entire staff is aware of the problems. There is a lot of drama, both with co-workers at the hospital (mostly women in a small environment with 12 hour shifts) and with corporate. Things can be very hush-hush and we just have to do what corporate says. Banfield states that they will treat your pet like family, but apparently only if your family has enough money. We can never see too many clients, even if that means making people wait hours for an exam, lowering our quality of care, and being downright embarrassed of your place of employment.

Somehow close the major gap between corporate and hospitals. Increase raises/bonuses with longevity. Somehow make employees feel that they actually matter and aren't just another worker who could easily be replaced.

It all depends on who you work with

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

You get a lot of entry level hands on experience. The wellness plans aren't THAT bad but it says something when the PM and other employees don't have their own pets seen here. There are loopholes and scams in the plans. Interacting with clients and their pets was fun. Working here made me realize i do not want this for a career.

Cons

I worked with the most unprofessional staff ever. They are fine to clients but when working together as a team, they are seriously lacking in their "five pillars"! Doctors are really needy and complain about how it's understaffed or how incompetent the techs they are given that day are. Names are thrown under the bus when mistakes are made. Due to the PM's incompetence, it's always understaffed so there would be two doctors and ONE tech doing surgery and room appointments. PM tries to be the peacemaker of the hospital when the vets and the techs aren't getting along but she ends up makes things worse by ultimately picking sides. If you're lucky, SOME associates will be nice enough to train you. Others will just complain about how you're new and can't do anything. It gets stressful when you're in the middle of a situation trying to figure out what your coworkers vs the PM expects of you. Team meetings here are just a way to passive aggressively vent out frustrations rather than make decisions for the hospital. I could go on and on but just remember this is a corporate hospital who's only interest is making money! Euthanasia, urine/feces, anal glands, angry clients, condescending doctors are all part of this low paying job so keep that in mind!

In order to bring in more profit, adequately staff associates on busier days instead of having room appointments wait for 3 hours just for a vaccine. Spend a day working at Banfield Pet Hospital, I bet senior management wouldn't be able to last through the whole day !

Great Culture!

Current Employee - Practice Manager  in  Lexington, SC
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Lexington, SC

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Banfield is owned by the MARS organization, and is driven by the 5 Principles of MARS. For that reason, we have a strong culture that all levels of associates adhere to. If you are interested in the veterinary profession, this is a great place to start because of the on-the-job training available in many states. The team is passionate about pet care and wants to offer the best care to our patients. It is very rewarding knowing you helped save a pets life or kept a pet and family together.

Cons

Can be driven by numbers, like any corporate organization. Some locations are not as driven by the 5 Principles as others. Long work hours which can interfere with work/life balance.

Need more field leaders to compensate for growing number of hospital locations.

Corporate medicine

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a hospital you have access to the absolute best equipment, always new and well maintained. Within the actual hospital there is a lot of transparency. A lot of interesting options in regards to the OWP. Very organized company.

Cons

Higher ups (field leadership) has unrealistic views about how a hospital can grow. Hospital numbers are pushed more than quality of care. I had a ethical issue with the idea of selling medical care as opposed to providing it.

To field leadership, value your current employees and acknowledge their strengths. Approach preventative care in a way that is less sales focused.

Worked for Banfield Pet Hospital? Contribute to the Community!