Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.9

Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber
Tony Ueber

Pros
  • Benefits are good, discounts at petsmart and free wellness plans (in 38 reviews)

• Being able to work with animals, client relationships, learning experience (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can sometimes be a challenge when you are in leadership positions (in 13 reviews)

• Pay is absolutly terrible, Have to use PTO to get full time hours to get benefits (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture!

Current Employee - Practice Manager  in  Lexington, SC
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Lexington, SC

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Banfield is owned by the MARS organization, and is driven by the 5 Principles of MARS. For that reason, we have a strong culture that all levels of associates adhere to. If you are interested in the veterinary profession, this is a great place to start because of the on-the-job training available in many states. The team is passionate about pet care and wants to offer the best care to our patients. It is very rewarding knowing you helped save a pets life or kept a pet and family together.

Cons

Can be driven by numbers, like any corporate organization. Some locations are not as driven by the 5 Principles as others. Long work hours which can interfere with work/life balance.

Need more field leaders to compensate for growing number of hospital locations.

Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great organization where you get to help pets, clients and get work with a great group of people. Additionally you get to learn so much medically and about the industry,

Cons

Some departments work in silos and management doesn't always hire qualified candidates for the right positions. This puts a lot of extra work on the peers of those that do not have the necessary skills to pick up the slack and cover the work they are unable to complete.

Ensure employees have right skill sets to perform the duties in their role. Distribute work evenly and don't overload the hard workers because others can not pull their weight.

Corporate medicine

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a hospital you have access to the absolute best equipment, always new and well maintained. Within the actual hospital there is a lot of transparency. A lot of interesting options in regards to the OWP. Very organized company.

Cons

Higher ups (field leadership) has unrealistic views about how a hospital can grow. Hospital numbers are pushed more than quality of care. I had a ethical issue with the idea of selling medical care as opposed to providing it.

To field leadership, value your current employees and acknowledge their strengths. Approach preventative care in a way that is less sales focused.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love the field, hate the company ideal

Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC)
    Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC)

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time

Pros

It was the first place to ever give me a shot in the animal field. I am grateful for that, and I do love the layout, and animals, and the staff is ok depending which location you're at. I love being able to enroll my own pets for free as an employee, and the pay was great considering. Overall, I really liked it.

Cons

Wellness plan selling. Let me say as a CSC the way they measure our sales percentages is seriously unfair. You can't force people to come in and make an appointment and sign up, all you can do is offer it, but even then it is by chance. Either you get a new client or most of the ones you get that day are already enrolled.

banfield

Current Employee - Vet Assistant  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Vet Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

help people with their pets health

Cons

working with aggressive cats and dogs

na

Great Place to Get Experience

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician
    Current Employee - Veterinary Technician

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time

Pros

Great place to get experience and good working hours if you're in school as they are open weekends and later in the evenings.

Cons

Corporate doesn't really care about the lower level employees, sometimes we experienced racist remarks or threats from clients and were not allowed to ban those clients. Additionally a manager was hired who had a heavy criminal record against the advice of the staff but was eventually terminated after repeating another crime.

Very high volume clinic, good learning opportunity.

Current Employee - Veterinarian Assistant  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Veterinarian Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time for less than a year

Pros

Client communication is the main experience you will get from working here. Manager is very helpful, personal growth is great.

Cons

Would be better if more staff number is allowed per shift, some times the phone calls never stop throughout the entire day.

It all depends on who you work with

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

You get a lot of entry level hands on experience. The wellness plans aren't THAT bad but it says something when the PM and other employees don't have their own pets seen here. There are loopholes and scams in the plans. Interacting with clients and their pets was fun. Working here made me realize i do not want this for a career.

Cons

I worked with the most unprofessional staff ever. They are fine to clients but when working together as a team, they are seriously lacking in their "five pillars"! Doctors are really needy and complain about how it's understaffed or how incompetent the techs they are given that day are. Names are thrown under the bus when mistakes are made. Due to the PM's incompetence, it's always understaffed so there would be two doctors and ONE tech doing surgery and room appointments. PM tries to be the peacemaker of the hospital when the vets and the techs aren't getting along but she ends up makes things worse by ultimately picking sides. If you're lucky, SOME associates will be nice enough to train you. Others will just complain about how you're new and can't do anything. It gets stressful when you're in the middle of a situation trying to figure out what your coworkers vs the PM expects of you. Team meetings here are just a way to passive aggressively vent out frustrations rather than make decisions for the hospital. I could go on and on but just remember this is a corporate hospital who's only interest is making money! Euthanasia, urine/feces, anal glands, angry clients, condescending doctors are all part of this low paying job so keep that in mind!

In order to bring in more profit, adequately staff associates on busier days instead of having room appointments wait for 3 hours just for a vaccine. Spend a day working at Banfield Pet Hospital, I bet senior management wouldn't be able to last through the whole day !

Great coworkers, awful management

Former Employee - Pet Nurse  in  West Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Pet Nurse in West Chicago, IL

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good medical protocols, pto
    Some of the vets are great
    My location had great para staff
    Often a 4 (long) day work week

Cons

Working virtually every holiday, NO work/life balance
    Clueless management
    Constantly understaffed
    Unrealistic expectations for the workload
    It's all about the money

Senior management from Portland need to spend some time anonymously in the hospitals

I find this job to be very rewarding, but highly stressful and we are extremely underpaid.

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant  in  Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Getting to work with animals all day is huge pro of the job. Saving lives and helping keep animals healthy is what makes this job so rewarding. Not to mention you get to cuddle kittens and puppies occasionally.

Cons

1. underpaid 2. turnover rate is terrible 3. scars 4. unorganized 5. did I mention underpaid?

Get organized. Although I personally think my particular manager does a wonderful job, I can't say the same about the rest of them through out our area. Banfield is a billion dollar company who pays their nurses $11/hr? We work too hard and you put too many animals lives in our hands for you to pay us that of a (no offense) McDonald's employee. It's ridiculous.

Worked for Banfield Pet Hospital? Contribute to the Community!