Banfield Pet Hospital

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber

Tony Ueber

Pros:
  • "benefits- health insurance, 401K, free wellness plans for personal pets"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Opportunity to gain experience working with animals and clients"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/Life balance can sometimes be a challenge when you are in leadership positions"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Wellness Plans are not marketed correctly"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

My experience at Banfield was good learned a lot about pets!

Vet Tech (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

ProsThe best thing is being able to care for animals and to sometimes help find new homes for the ones who do not have a family yet!

ConsSome hard things are seeing the very sick animals come in and there isn't anything you can do for but send them to dog and cat heaven!

Politics, corporate greed, and clueless leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time

ProsIt's great to be around pets all day, and to be able to visit at the hospitals as a corporate employee is fantastic. The doctors do a great job with what stress they are put under. The equipment they have in their hospitals seem to be pretty good, although their blood analyzers (CBT) are outdated.

ConsThe leadership at corporate is almost entirely focused on money. How to get more people signed up on wellness plans, how to make the doctors work more hours, and how to hire the least expensive techs. They constantly monitor the financial performance of the hospitals, yet don't monitor the medical quality much at all. They make you wait several months before your benefits kick in, and even then it's a really high deductible. High occurrences of pet deaths across all hospitals without in depth analysis of why they occurred is very scary. Doctors are mostly fresh out of school and are not given much downtime to attend continuing ed opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'll give some, but they are so arrogant and headstrong they likely won't listen. Get balanced in your approach to measurements of performance. It's not all about the money. Treat people with respect, and really live the values you say you believe in. Stop pretending to take input from associates, and actually listen.

Overall nice job

Client Services Coordinator (Former Employee)
Countryside, IL

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to sign 3 pets up on a wellness plan. They offer insurance and benefits.

ConsIts your typical customer service job. Often get angry people on the phone. Relentless phone calls all day long. Barely ever get a raise

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us a raise.

Decent experience

Veterinary Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time for less than a year

ProsBeing able to work with animals, client relationships, learning experience

ConsLow salaries,long days, corporate mindset, hard to advance

Advice to Senior ManagementTechs need more hands on training. Petware doesn't really teach you anything. It's like learning to drive a car without ever having been behind the wheel.

Don't work for Banfield

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

ProsMy coworkers are amazing. We all struggle day to day with the crap we deal with. New doctors every single day... Managers complaining... Terrible clients. We get 3 free wellness plans but I would never bring my dogs in to see these "doctors"

ConsIf you want to work in retail this is the job for you. The focus should be on pets but that's the last thing on Banfields mind. They want you to sell wellness plans so they can take clients money. They hire doctors who can't handle their job! They sit there and complain about what you do wrong rather than thanking you for help. They be little you as a person. My PM is awesome and I personally feel bad for her taking on such a crappy hospital. Our "field leadership" and "medical director" is a complete JOKE. They pretend to care but honestly they're there to complain about numbers being low. BANFIELD IS A SCAM. Clients know you don't care about them or their pet, they know you just want their money. It sucks for people like myself when taking care of animals is your passion but that gets pushed aside because this company sucks. You'd think this snobby company would spend money on advertising but nope! Not Banfield. They want to add more and more to your list of duties but don't want to give a decent raise. I've worked for Banfield for 2 years and got a .95 raise. HILARIOUS! I can't wait to be done with college and work for a real company! I can see this company go down hill. Can't wait.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to care about your employees. Don't act so snobby! You feel like everyone should worship the ground you walk in. You all do an amazing job at making your employees hate you and hate this company.

Too corporate

Client Service Coordinator (CSC) (Former Employee)

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time for more than a year

ProsThe clients and animals that come in are absolutely wonderful to work with. It's hard not to smile when you meet a new animal! There is an easy computer system; however, needs to have a different teaching program since it is extremely monotonous and unengaging.

ConsToo corporate
All about selling add-ons to increase clients' invoices
Not enough flexibility in scheduling
Policies need to change to adapt to changing culture of employees

Gained valuable skills but daily high stress situations left me unmotivated and burnt out.

Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat co-workers. People who are truly passionate about animals. Leaving this job was only hard because I loved the people I worked with so much.

If you are an animal person who get more than your fair share of working with all sorts of animals, breeds, and ages.

The position I was in helped me gain valuable skills needed to be able to multi-task, deal with stress management, and hone my customer service experience.

ConsThe Wellness Plans that were made up by corporate really do feel like a sham, one that you are expected to sell to every single person that walks through the door, whether it makes sense for that particular person and their pet or not.

Corporate unwilling to pay any OT, therefore by the end of the week on Saturday (our busiest day) staff would be told not to come in or they would go over 40 hours leaving the hospital incredibly short staffed. This created awful experiences for staff and guests alike.

You are not able to leave and go home when the hospital closes if there are still pets to be seen. The policy that all patients that call and want to be seen that day, for whatever reason even if we don't have the time, creates a workload is unrealistic. The hospital closed at 7pm but 75% of the time I would not get to leave until 9pm or later and that was having started at 7am due to a lack of staffing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the Wellness Plans or make them more transparent so people truly understand what they are signing up for. Staff your hospitals correctly. And understand that your employees do have lives outside of work.

I learned a lot and appreciate the chance they took on me (someone without any prior vet experience).

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital

ProsSchedule flexibility. I went to college full time and worked full time, and they were awesome with my schedule. They offer a lot of ce, but it's through their online learning center. They also gave me great management training when I was promoted too.

ConsLow salaries, long days, corporate mindset and limitations. Their business model seems to promote a quantity over quality type of medicine as operating procedures are determined and overseen by people who have no prior veterinary or hospital experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementMedicine is not cookie cutter, that's why it's called a practice. Higher salaries for paraprofessionals rather than CEO types will equal higher quality medicine and technical staff. Salaries should at least be competitive with comparable positions in the same area.

Petnurse

great training

Conspay sucks
Long hours
Work holidays

loved working there and would love to come back

Csc and Pet Nurse (Former Employee)
Fayetteville, GA

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Prosworking with the people and pets

ConsI don't have any

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Banfield Pet Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Banfield Pet Hospital – Why Work for Us?

Partnership. Teamwork. Collaboration. Back in 1955, Banfield Pet Hospital was founded on a vision to make the best quality medicine available to pets. Since that time, we have lived that promise and promoted the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banfield Pet Hospital reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Banfield Pet Hospital CEO Tony Ueber. All 195 reviews posted anonymously by Banfield Pet Hospital employees.