Banfield Pet Hospital

Updated September 28, 2014
2.8

Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber
Tony Ueber

Pros
  • Full time benefits are good with insurance, free wellness plans, discounts (in 45 reviews)

• Being able to work with animals, client relationships, learning experience (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone has different goals and the work-life balance at Banfield is non-existent (in 17 reviews)

• Make no mistake, no matter your position, you are there to sell wellness plans (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

If I were you, I wouldn't....

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

Benefits of working for a charter hospital are way better than working for a practice owned hospital. Compensation at a charter is at least kind of worth the life you're not going to have working here.

Cons

No one is ever on the same page- and that's hospital wide. Everyone has different goals and the work-life balance at Banfield is non-existent. Long hours, open all holidays (except Thanksgiving and Christmas).

Rewarding experience

Former Employee - Practice Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Practice Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working at Banfield. Great team of nurses and doctors that really care about giving the best care possible to pets and their people. Great benefits!

Cons

Too many responsibilities to finish in a 40 hour week.

Hospital leaders need more help. It's difficult to balance the responsibilities of management along with the expectation to be in a working role.

Great experience, but poor retention

Former Employee - Veterinary Student  in  Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Veterinary Student in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very high volume, get to work a lot, excellent opportunity to talk with clients

Cons

This location had a great staff, but terrible partner vet that there was an incredibly high turnover rate due to the one person... They also required us to push a ridiculous amount of unnecessary product, like heartworm preventative for dogs that have no travel history, nor will they be traveling anywhere outside western WA.

Your non-veterinary staff work their butts off and are the most important client contacts, but don't get compensated/recognized enough for it, causing your high turnover rates.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Underpaid, under appreciated and over worked

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits for full time employees are pretty nice. Dental and vision are excellent, but medical has a high deductible. The HSA money they give you each year is awesome. I love the three "free" but taxed wellness plans for my pets and wouldn't work there if I didn't get those. I also like that when you learn your job, you are given a lot of responsibility and trust. I also love that Banfield stands for preventive care and helping people afford these things more easily.

Cons

I have worked for Banfield as a Vet Assistant for almost three years now. I have made two minor raises each year and am still only making less than $13/hour. The pay is basically horrible for the type of work that is required of VAs. We work our butts off with very little compensation. The corporation is horrible in the fact that you are a tiny little fish in a giant sea. The corporate money makers don't care at all about the hospital workers who are doing the dirty work. Our hospital has a ton of employee/doctor turnover and it's a struggle to keep things consistent. Basically I am only working there still because I have established myself there and can pretty much get whatever shifts and time off that I want.

The corporate big wigs need to at least pretend to care that the hospital workers exist. An over-all company raise for the minions would definitely help with employee happiness and prevent turnover.

Great people in the office

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC)
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC)

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing Banfield had going for them was the people in the office. I really enjoyed working with almost everyone there.

Cons

A huge negative was that regional management and up were the only ones with real power to do anything. They were driven by numbers/money and it really hurt the relationships with clients.

Banfield is a nationwide company and they want the store to be cookie-cutter everywhere. They want you to get the same experience everywhere. On paper, that is great. However, each Banfield is going to have different general clientele. Let the Practice Manager make some adjustments based on where they are.

Could be great for some

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

It always depends on your manager. Company has a bright future and wants to do the right thing. Being part of Mars, Inc. is pretty awesome. Company is pretty good at getting people cross-trained and really promotes wellness.

Cons

Again, it always depends on your manager. If you don't have a good manager, you won't have a good experience. The company isn't always good at spotting bad managers if their numbers are good. They have good associate satisfaction surveys and really try, but it would be good if the directors were more aware. Company is still working to overcome a bad reputation from years ago so there is a stigma that isn't relevant anymore. The medical benefits seem better than they really are.

The 5 Principles are really great - work harder to pay attention to your managers to make sure they are actually using the Principles. Get out of meetings and onto the floor more at CTS. Your DVMs want to be heard more. It's NOT a case of corporate telling doctors how to practice, but the DVMs want more input on the way things are done.

Terrible pay, questionable staffing.

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoy my team and we get along well. The benefits are great.

Cons

I don't trust some of the doctors to the point that I avoid bringing my personal pet in on days that these individuals are working, because I simply don't trust them.
    The pay is terrible-- how can you possibly expect someone, who has the knowledge that we do, and performs the tasks that we do (ANESTHETIZING PETS, drawing blood, administering medications, etc.) to be happy at a $12/hr pay! It is NOT worth it.
    Again, the pay is awful.

Respect your staff. Pay us better. Trust us. We keep this place running.

Sounded fun but ended up being draining

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

Working only 3.5 days each week, uniform scrubs provided to you, helping pets sick or healthy

Cons

Unorganized, training takes over 6 months because trainer is just a regular vet assistant like me with no pay raise, never hit 35 hrs even, send people home early to keep the pet to worker ratio even, wrestling pets to get blood and bruising my body from big pets

GO TO WORK. I NEVER SEE THE CHIEF OF STAFF DOCTOR OR THE PRACTICE MANAGER. And the regular DVMs cant run the place....

A place to learn the ups and downs of animal medicine at a fast pace.

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great hands on with animals, learn alot about medicine and how it applies to specific ailments, training both physically and through media, hands on with surgeries, exposed to different breeds of dogs and cats, working with medical data software

Cons

Working 10+ hours most week days and weekends, fast pace, unfair pay, pay increases by the cent, moving up in the company is rare, physically demanding, high turnover rate, not getting enough paid hours, pushing services on clients to increase numbers for the company in order to have enough hours to work.

Make time for your employees to have a viable life. Pay your nurses more money to compensate for sacrifces of the job. Many nurses enjoy the job but are not being valued with the time and money deserved.

Great Culture!

Current Employee - Practice Manager  in  Lexington, SC
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Lexington, SC

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Banfield is owned by the MARS organization, and is driven by the 5 Principles of MARS. For that reason, we have a strong culture that all levels of associates adhere to. If you are interested in the veterinary profession, this is a great place to start because of the on-the-job training available in many states. The team is passionate about pet care and wants to offer the best care to our patients. It is very rewarding knowing you helped save a pets life or kept a pet and family together.

Cons

Can be driven by numbers, like any corporate organization. Some locations are not as driven by the 5 Principles as others. Long work hours which can interfere with work/life balance.

Need more field leaders to compensate for growing number of hospital locations.

Banfield Pet Hospital Photos

Commit to Get Fit with Dolvett!!!
office dogs!

+ Add Photo

Worked for Banfield Pet Hospital? Contribute to the Community!