Banfield Pet Hospital

Updated October 27, 2014
2.9

Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber
Tony Ueber

Pros
  • Full time benefits are good with insurance, free wellness plans, discounts (in 46 reviews)

• Being able to work with animals, client relationships, learning experience (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone has different goals and the work-life balance at Banfield is non-existent (in 18 reviews)

• Make no mistake, no matter your position, you are there to sell wellness plans (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Just a job, not a career

Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent insurance. Free wellness plans.

Cons

Pay sucks. No raises. Upper management is completely negative. You are expected to work 12+ hours a day and help meet their numbers and get nothing in return. The don't promote within. Corporation sucks.

Ok Overall

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

The patients are mostly relatively healthy, pay is decent, benefits are good, and the staff was highly trained and very helpful.

Cons

Very busy and fast-paced. Clients often complained of waiting too long or not being able to get in to see the vet. Constant push by middle management to see more pets per day.

Good place to gain experience, but don't stay forever...

Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time

Pros

Nice work life balance at headquarters, positive mission, some nice perks, growing company

Cons

Very little upward mobility, many inept leaders, very much a drink-the-kool-aid type of environment

The CEO seems like a great guy and leader but he needs to put more effective and forward thinking people in leadership roles. Leadership needs to focus on results and doing what is best for the company, not how to constantly play the politics to protect their own positions. Lots of managers, but very few actual leaders in role...

Gained great technical skills, the company is pushy

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician, RVT in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Veterinary Technician, RVT in Chicago, IL

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I acquired a lot of good skills and knowledge right out of school. They really do utilize their technicians and assistants to do a lot of tasks in the veterinary hospital. The schedule is pretty flexible - but that also means you are always stuck working weekends. There is no "day off" you can count on, but that means if you only have weekends to work, then you can work that way to accommodate a second job or school . They have a $200 CE allowance, and do provide 2 uniforms upon hire (though they are cheap and nasty - when I left, they were phasing out people buying their own styles for comfort level - this was fall 2013.) There are great benefits here - you accrue PTO like no where else I've ever worked and there's no limit on the vacation time you earn and when you can start earning it. You don't have to wait a year to earn two weeks of paid vacation. You have the security of a higher system leading you - so if you have interpersonal conflicts, you are not completely subject to only your PM or Chief of Staff to resolve it, though your life will still be made difficult if you have issues with those people. The standards of veterinary medicine here are definitely high - I've seen a lot of places that won't properly monitor their patients under anesthesia - safety here is #1.

Cons

I mentioned safety being #1 here - but sometimes the people they hire on as "Techs" have no outside veterinary experience and aren't quality characters, so that aspect can be pretty scary as they put themseles on the same level as trained, licensed technicians and will do the same work - I've worked in several states with this company, regardless of the license requirements though you will be paid more for being licensed. Pushy about selling wellness plans, cookie cutter, big box medicine - no deviating from the practice's "Anesthesia" book they have published, though still remains a good reference guide. Constant gripes from clients not understanding their wellness plan, complaining about prices, etc, even if you are a cheaper alternative to local practices. The BOTTOM LINE HERE IS HUGE. You WILL feel like just a number - I knew many I worked with who'd been there for 5-9 years who felt the same. Your doctors won't be able to prescribe an ear medication without charging for an otoscopic exam and ear cytology first - even if they KNOW what is needed. The only drs I knew who did this were relief or got A TON of crap for it. This is just one of MANY examples of how different it is working here vs a local SA hospital.

Invest more in higher qualified individuals with good education, and give your assistants better training and education opportunities. Be more flexible with the bottom line - you have a high turnover rate BECAUSE you treat people like numbers. Stop forcing them to sell service for promotion, raises, etc., and focus more on the benefits of what you CAN provide to your clients and their pets - this attracts people to you, not just your value, colorful signs, and hospital renovations. Value is something that is important to any business, but veterinary medicine is about more than just value - we're not just selling jeans and purses, we are selling our ability to do right by our clients and not be at CONSTANT financial odds with them.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Pet Care Assistant in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Pet Care Assistant in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to start off with young, there are many opportunities to grow within the company. They want people that have been there long to feel important and needed, so they offer them promotions and salary increases yearly.

Cons

If you only work in the back, you technically do not have much customer experience when coming time to look for another job. When you work in the back, you only work in the back. They wouldn't promote a vet tech to work up front to answer phones and check clients in and out. It's hard for this to be someones first job when it comes down to looking for a new job.

Understand that it is difficult to reach quarterly goals as well as the client survey is not a fair way to be graded because not many people want to take them.

Fast paced quality oriented environment

Current Employee - Chief of Staff
    Current Employee - Chief of Staff

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities for growth in lots of areas, including medicine, business and management. The production plus base salary pay scheme is easy to understand and there is great networking all over the country!

Cons

Sometimes the clients and management can be challenging to deal with, like any veterinary hospital

The culture is amazing, we make a difference in clients' lives and the life of their pets, and the teams all care.

Current Employee - Practice Manager
    Current Employee - Practice Manager

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The beliefs are really aligned with caring about the pets that come in and practicing the best medicine possible. The ability to develop into a leader role is promoted by all. Work life balance is always front of mind. The opportunities that are offered for education and self development are easily accessible.

Cons

As a practice manager we try to develop our teams, finding experience and fun veterinary technicians has been a struggle. It seems like every hospital needs technicians.

Decent company for a first real job.

Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC) in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC) in Houston, TX

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great job to gain experience, develop customer service skills/strategies. They train you well for dealing with customers up front.

Cons

The doctors were not very personable. Cross-training attempts were never taken seriously. Drama ran rampant. Only stayed for the paycheck.

Underpaid, under appreciated and over worked

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits for full time employees are pretty nice. Dental and vision are excellent, but medical has a high deductible. The HSA money they give you each year is awesome. I love the three "free" but taxed wellness plans for my pets and wouldn't work there if I didn't get those. I also like that when you learn your job, you are given a lot of responsibility and trust. I also love that Banfield stands for preventive care and helping people afford these things more easily.

Cons

I have worked for Banfield as a Vet Assistant for almost three years now. I have made two minor raises each year and am still only making less than $13/hour. The pay is basically horrible for the type of work that is required of VAs. We work our butts off with very little compensation. The corporation is horrible in the fact that you are a tiny little fish in a giant sea. The corporate money makers don't care at all about the hospital workers who are doing the dirty work. Our hospital has a ton of employee/doctor turnover and it's a struggle to keep things consistent. Basically I am only working there still because I have established myself there and can pretty much get whatever shifts and time off that I want.

The corporate big wigs need to at least pretend to care that the hospital workers exist. An over-all company raise for the minions would definitely help with employee happiness and prevent turnover.

Very rewarding if you love animals, but company is too numbers driven

Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC) in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC) in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very educated and dedicated people that work here with a love and passion for pets, great opportunity for personal growth

Cons

Schedules are never consistent, pay is all over the place

Banfield Pet Hospital Photos

Commit to Get Fit with Dolvett!!!
office dogs!