Banfield Pet Hospital

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015

Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber
Tony Ueber

Pros
  • Full time benefits are good with insurance, free wellness plans, discounts (in 47 reviews)

• Being able to work with animals, client relationships, learning experience (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone has different goals and the work-life balance at Banfield is non-existent (in 18 reviews)

• They want you to sell wellness plans so they can take clients money (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

I was chewed up and spit out.

Former Employee - Practice Manager in North Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Practice Manager in North Canton, OH

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

As most places are, if the team is able to work together and support each other it could be a great environment.

Cons

I was given impossible limits to stay within and unrealistic expectations in regards to performance.

If it's true that the goal of the company is exceptional customer service and client education, you must allow proper staffing to accomplish these goals. Unhappy staff due to extreme cut backs only hurts the company.

PM

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

Great....great awesome lovely memorable

Cons

...None..........none none none none........ not any

None............m

CSC -> Vet Assistant

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator, Vet Tech
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator, Vet Tech

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Get to work with animals!
    -Always willing to "cross train" for other positions, which is how I got my Vet Asst position, even if you don't have the necessary experience
    -Free wellness plans for pets

Cons

-If management at a specific hospital sucks, then forget about being happy there. They would promote vet techs to practice manager positions even if they are not good manager material. Then all you are doing is scrambling around to make everyone (clients AND coworkers) happy at the expense of your own learning and happiness.
    -no way to give feedback past field leadership. i.e. if field leadership happens to love your manager, good luck, you can't do anything about horrible management
    -office politics - this exists everywhere, but in a small office (usually 8-20 people on the roster, incl. doctors), this really tears a team apart

for crying out loud, let your employees give feedback on things like Petware and managers on a regular basis. Why is field leadership the one doing their "performance review" when they work most with their team. Team should be able to review their managers' performance. Don't let everything be based on metrics. A good team can be torn apart on "who sold the most products" instead of practicing good medicine.

Learning opportunity

Former Employee - Vet Assistant
    Former Employee - Vet Assistant

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

Great staff!!!
    Great stepping stone if new to the field!

Cons

Hours (can't do it as a single parent)
    Pay (vet assistants don't get the pay they deserve)

Low tech, slow to innovate

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

Privately held, good business model. Great people that want to do the best for the pets and people they serve.

Cons

Very slow to innovate, systems are very clunky, Strategies and vision unclear. Complacent. Medicine can be spotty depending on the Dr. you see. Very difficult to get anything done in the organization, siloed.

Grow up and lead.

Client service coordinator

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

Stability. Great friends. Accomodating for school schedule and pto. Benefits.

Cons

LONG hours. Weekends. Depending on which location you work for either extremely stressful busy or painfully slow with stress to increase hospital flow. Not always the best clients.

Only the clients are worth it.

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

One of the best reasons to work here is honestly the animals. They can really make your day. Even if you run into a not so nice customer, seeing a silly looking dog, or a cute little cat brightens even the dimmest waiting room.

Cons

The pay was awful and not worth it.

The owners of this Banfield were not communicative as well as many others who worked there. Many of the vet techs and managers were either rude or just not willing to train in a helpful way.If you do something wrong, they will not warn you about it. They will fire you on the spot. I have seen it happen before to a person who worked here and they wasn't even out of training yet.

If you go into the back to try to talk to a nurse they respond with "What?" in probably the rudest manner ever. No one wants to be there and their miserable energy can affect you and drag you down.

Maybe and hopefully not all Banfields are like this but this one was just bad. No one communicated, no one helped each other out. everyone wanted to go home as quickly as possible and were willing to let you sink if you failed to catch up to their "standards". If you do get hired here, be careful, it is not a fair or fun place to work besides the animals.

It could really be a fun job. There are loads of animals to see and the relationship with the clients are special because you are looking after one of the most important things in their life. So upper management needs to make all the rules CLEAR to new employees rather than fire them without warnings for anything they do wrong. Especially if they are rather new. That is why I quit. I did not want to work in a place that I saw as completely unfair and if they do it to one they will do it to all.

Make sure your employees are given proper training and not just thrown in. The computer system has a lot to learn on it and it does take time.

Give fair warnings about issues you have with an employee. Give them time to make up for what they have done wrong since they had no idea it was wrong in the first place.

Great part-time job

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

1. Very flexible with my schedule
    2. Fair starting wage
    3. Excellent wellness plans for (personal) pets - free of charge, even to part time employees!

Cons

1. Usually long hours, but that's because of the accessibility for the clinic: we are open when others are not.

Stepping stone in starting a career in veterinary medicine.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The hospital was a team so it was exciting to be a part of it.

Cons

The company goes through a lot of changes. The manager at my location was extremely rude and nit picky about absolutely everything.

Should worry more about the care given to pets more than the numbers.

Good Company, but has become too big

Former Employee - Practice Manager
    Former Employee - Practice Manager

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

Benefits package is great, good chance to learn

Cons

corporate medicine is an oxymoron.

Banfield Pet Hospital Photos