Banfield Pet Hospital

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber

Tony Ueber

Pros
  • Benefits are good, discounts at petsmart and free wellness plans(in 37 reviews)

• Being able to work with animals, client relationships, learning experience(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can sometimes be a challenge when you are in leadership positions(in 12 reviews)

• Pay is absolutly terrible, Have to use PTO to get full time hours to get benefits(in 10 reviews)

Great Place to work at their home office!

Client Financial Service (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsBanfield had great wages for call center work, with nice monthly bonuses. The managers for their Financial Services team had some stumbles, but by the end it was fantastic team that I was sorry to leave.

ConsNot much interaction as a team, you would get off the phones on average once a week for a 20 minute 'huddle' and even that was introduced after I joined. You're there for one thing, to make money back or the company. Very hard to move up in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps bring some interaction to your team a little more? They were working on it when I left though.

Love this place!

ProsOur mission is phenomenal - Helping pets live longer lives! Our practice has grown and envolved, and the opportunities and benefits are amazing. We give back to the veterinary profession and the community, which makes me very proud.

ConsWe work hard! Our practice is growing so the work is exciting yet very busy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for taking us on a path to a great culture - Don't waiver in keeping us on this journey!

Very corporate but good medicine

Veterinarian (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Prosgood benefits, good salary, pay for dues, good training

Consfocus on metrics more than patient care and quality of life

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the good employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No collaboration on group projects

Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsCompany is on a good growth trend and pays their employees really well.

ConsNo collaboration amongst team members while working on team projects. People are very clicky.

Veterinary assistant

Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGood place to work, it is nice to work with animals.

ConsThe only bad thing is the schedule. It is different every week, it is hard to get a day off.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job.

Nearly the best veterinary job I ever had.

Associate Veterinarian (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe benefits were great. The veterinarians I worked with were very professional and fun to work with. The support staff was excellent and worked well as a team.
    It was fascinating to watch what the company followed to evaluate a doctor or hospital.
    This is a great first job out of vet school, but do not expect a promotion or a raise. Great for developing a tough shell to disregard the extreme criticism for low fecal sales when you can see on the computer generated print out that the rest of your production is great and your client appreciation score is huge. (The praise will never come. Don't wait for it.)

ConsBanfield is a chain of veterinary hospitals, but the company does not respect the veterinary profession. The management of the individual hospitals is upside down with business educated people making technical/medical decisions often in inappropriate situations. It treats the vets like injection giving, heartworm selling robots with no brains. The doctors are not allowed to participate in team meetings. The team meetings are part party and part how to sell services. The meetings do not include any aspect of medical reasons why the services may be indicated.
    I felt I was often doing nail trims while an assistant was in with a client talking 'medicine'. It was backwards, but I was not allowed to reorganize the work flow.
    It was not unusual to have a patient with diarrhea that the staff would perform a fecal, giardia elisa test and parvo test before I even knew the patient was in the hospital. This was our protical. Over $100 is spent before I see a patient that I want to work up as a toxic pyometra. A well run independent veterinary hospital would never work in this manor. I was powerless to make any suggestions. When I tried to direct that I wanted to examine any sick patients before any of the clients money was spent so I could devise a treatment plan, I was considered a non team player.
    With the clinic open every day except Thanksgiving and Christmas, it was not possible to have a work-life balance. The CEO has no clue what the employees do on a daily basis. The Portland area hospitals are often free standing clinics and are not representative of the reality in the Chicago area where I worked. He needs to come out to the beautiful Chicago are and see and listen to what the employees are enduring.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour veterinarians and CVTs are very intelligent and educated employees. Give them the power and voice to use those skills to organize the individual teams. It should be a partnership with the business team to have the hospitals working to be profitable while ensuring the health and well being of the patients.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Banfield Pet Hospital

Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) Schererville, IN

ProsThere are some great doctors that work here.
    Full time benefits are good with insurance, free wellness plans, discounts. All that does help to save money to care for the four legged children.
    There are some great employees that work here. Great Technicans, Assistants, CSC's

ConsTraining is a complete joke when I started 5 years ago. I couldn't be ready to take the position giving/hired for if I had little to no training.
    No loyalty or value to employees at all. Been with the company for 5 years. Nothing has been said that my performance is bad or under expectations. But I have been demoted, cut to part time, and had hours completely taken away from me. With no explanation at all.
    Then suddenly I will be promoted. Get full time hours and actually get hours, again with no explanation.
    Need to rein in the high school attitude especially when it is by a Veterinarian.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like family. Yes it is important to for any hospital to make money for all the obvious reasons. But is that the only driving force behind advancement and loyalty to employees? There are employees who beyond all reason of expectations and sanity have been with the company for over 5 years. Pay them comparable wages. You are a huge company it is really sad what the employees get paid and the raises are abysmal. If you can go to another clinic and start there at the wage you are making here after 5 years that is truly sad.

Good place to work

Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) Fredericksburg, VA

Pros-Benefits
    -Training
    -Great team
    - Okey pay

Cons- Doctors getting overwhelmed, stressful for team
    - Pay couldn't be better
    - Unfair yearly pay increase ( pay of the just hired team member same as, team member who worked there for year)
    - Unfair scheduling

Enjoyable

Veterinary Student Intern (Current Employee)

ProsCohesive and friendly coworkers, getting paid to work with animals, learning and applying clinical experiences, pet discounts in Petsmart and discounts in Mars Inc. products

Conslong hours (for me), long drive to work (for me), only allowed to wear blue scrubs and no other 'fun' scrubs

Fabulous Company Culture and Wonderful Work Environments!

Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) Woodbridge, VA

ProsBanfield really believes in properly training and supporting it's employees. All employees are given quality in-house training on their job responsibilities and time to grow before full responsibilities are expected of them on a daily basis. Hourly compensation is only slightly competitive by market region/area but the generous perks - including 401k's for employees at all levels of position and hourly employment, 10 Floating Holidays in addition to earned PTO to make up for the fact that Banfield is open 363 days a year, and others - make up for the possibly lower income relative to smaller veterinary practices. In addition, practices truly believe in the company culture of both Banfield and the MARS parent companies and attempt to live it daily, instead of just preaching it emptily. Opportunities to develop on individual and group levels are provided constantly; many practice managers I know started as lower-level employees and were developed and promoted readily within the company. I'm sure not every location is perfect, but my experiences have been beyond positive most of the time.

ConsHours can be long (greater than 8 hours) sometimes, but that's part of the nursing experience and anyone interested in the position should be aware of this regardless of the specific veterinary business or location. Pay rates are lower than small practices offer (at least in my area) but the perks make up for this.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy management experiences have all been thoughtful and positive overall. My manager is consistent in attempting to give everyone constructive feedback on their performance and she attempts to give everyone days off requested, if possible.

Worked for Banfield Pet Hospital? Contribute to the Community!