Banfield Pet Hospital

Updated August 19, 2014

2.9

Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber
Tony Ueber

Pros
  • Benefits are good, discounts at petsmart and free wellness plans (in 38 reviews)

• Being able to work with animals, client relationships, learning experience (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can sometimes be a challenge when you are in leadership positions (in 13 reviews)

• Pay is absolutly terrible, Have to use PTO to get full time hours to get benefits (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture!

Current Employee - Practice Manager  in  Lexington, SC
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Lexington, SC

Pros

Banfield is owned by the MARS organization, and is driven by the 5 Principles of MARS. For that reason, we have a strong culture that all levels of associates adhere to. If you are interested in the veterinary profession, this is a great place to start because of the on-the-job training available in many states. The team is passionate about pet care and wants to offer the best care to our patients. It is very rewarding knowing you helped save a pets life or kept a pet and family together.

Cons

Can be driven by numbers, like any corporate organization. Some locations are not as driven by the 5 Principles as others. Long work hours which can interfere with work/life balance.

Need more field leaders to compensate for growing number of hospital locations.

Corporate medicine

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator

Pros

As a hospital you have access to the absolute best equipment, always new and well maintained. Within the actual hospital there is a lot of transparency. A lot of interesting options in regards to the OWP. Very organized company.

Cons

Higher ups (field leadership) has unrealistic views about how a hospital can grow. Hospital numbers are pushed more than quality of care. I had a ethical issue with the idea of selling medical care as opposed to providing it.

To field leadership, value your current employees and acknowledge their strengths. Approach preventative care in a way that is less sales focused.

Great Place to Get Experience

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician
    Current Employee - Veterinary Technician

Pros

Great place to get experience and good working hours if you're in school as they are open weekends and later in the evenings.

Cons

Corporate doesn't really care about the lower level employees, sometimes we experienced racist remarks or threats from clients and were not allowed to ban those clients. Additionally a manager was hired who had a heavy criminal record against the advice of the staff but was eventually terminated after repeating another crime.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love the field, hate the company ideal

Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC)
    Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC)

Pros

It was the first place to ever give me a shot in the animal field. I am grateful for that, and I do love the layout, and animals, and the staff is ok depending which location you're at. I love being able to enroll my own pets for free as an employee, and the pay was great considering. Overall, I really liked it.

Cons

Wellness plan selling. Let me say as a CSC the way they measure our sales percentages is seriously unfair. You can't force people to come in and make an appointment and sign up, all you can do is offer it, but even then it is by chance. Either you get a new client or most of the ones you get that day are already enrolled.

Very high volume clinic, good learning opportunity.

Current Employee - Veterinarian Assistant  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Veterinarian Assistant in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Client communication is the main experience you will get from working here. Manager is very helpful, personal growth is great.

Cons

Would be better if more staff number is allowed per shift, some times the phone calls never stop throughout the entire day.

Kennel Cleaner

Former Employee - Kennel Cleaner  in  Roswell, GA
    Former Employee - Kennel Cleaner in Roswell, GA

Pros

good first job experience as well as a great part time job during the summers for college kids. staff was friendly and very professional at my location.

Cons

if you do not have any customer service skills, this is not a job for you. also if you are not fond of getting down & dirty nor like animals, this is NOT a job for you. no set schedule

banfield

Current Employee - Vet Assistant  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Vet Assistant in Austin, TX

Pros

help people with their pets health

Cons

working with aggressive cats and dogs

na

Overworked, underpaid, but good management

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Sacramento, CA

Pros

I worked as a veterinary assistant at a charter hospital, so management was a little different, but I felt like my managers and the owners really cared about me as a person.
    Banfield does try to make you grow and expand your skills. They focus a lot on training me in new areas, and regularly check in to tell me how I'm doing and what I want people to help me learn next.
    Helping animals is always a plus.
    Overall, my hospital has a very good work environment with my coworkers and supervisors.

Cons

Having to try to sell wellness plans. When our numbers get low, we feel a lot of pressure to encourage people to sign up on a plan. The plans actually are cost effective for all the services included, but they are not for everyone, not everyone treats their pets like family, especially when money is involved.
    I barely make enough to survive working at this job. But, if you sign up to work in this business, you already know that half of your clients will hate you for the cost of different services (like you are robbing them), while you make no money. There is just not enough money in this business to go around unless you work for the specialists.
    My hospital was extremely busy and had a very technician-run environment. Work was always stressful, and required you to be running around almost the entire day, with way too many things on your plate.
    You get bit, scratched, head-butted, etc on a daily basis.

Fun and Crazy!

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Santa Ana, CA

Pros

Awesome Coworkers (depends on store obviously, but i have great relationships and friendships with everyone)
    Great pay for an entry level job, higher than min wage
    Base pay (12.50 and hour) for me in California
    Great benefits such as: free wellness plans for your own pets, partially/fully paid Vet Tech program if you were interested in moving up and becoming a vet tech (through penn foster), employee discounts from Petsmart and other companies.
    Flexible work schedule.

Cons

its a corporate company, so they will pressure Vets and managers when it comes to making more money $$$ and increasing production.

Lots of crazy angry people!

It can get very very busy when you have 10 people in lobby and you also gotta assess the people on the line on hold.

It can get understaffed sometimes, which makes everyone feel stressed.

Veterinary Assistant

Pros

As far as training, one of the best places to learn.

Cons

Schedules can be grueling at times and not much room for advancement

Worked for Banfield Pet Hospital? Contribute to the Community!