Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Reset
2.9
Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber
Tony Ueber

Pros
  • 3 free wellness plans for your pets (in 47 reviews)

• Good place to work, it is nice to work with animals (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Long work hours which can interfere with work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Having to go over wellness plans with clients who will not benefit from them (in 22 reviews)

1. Vet Assistant

Current Employee - Vet Assistant in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Vet Assistant in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

definitely a good place to start, they hired me as a VA with no prior experience in the veterinary field so that was great. But after being there for a while you realize the reasons why their turnover rate is so high. The VA's and VT's have a ridiculous amount of expectations that need to be fulfilled every time we work, if you're at a busy hospital (which I'm pretty sure they all are, given the policy of not being able to turn away anyone that comes in regardless of how many appointments there are/how many people and pets are already in the hopsital,) you're pretty much going to be running around like a maniac doing a million things your entire shift, every shift. Makes the time go by quick but it is exhausting to say the least. Lots and lots of staff that come and go, I've only been here a year and I'm really surprised how many people I've seen leave for different reasons. Even the Vets themselves. Like I said, it's definitely a great place to start out (experience or no experience) but it wears people down and although the career is not exactly known for being well-compensated, Banfield definitely will give you the BARE minimum that you expect/ask for and the yearly merit-increases are a joke. Can't really see it being a long-term choice for place of employment. Great learning experience though!

Cons

Lower than average pay, obsecene expectations, available hours fluctuate quite a bit

Advice to Management

Pay us what we deserve and make the raises worth sticking around for. Have programs in place that allow a more sane/reasonable distribution of tasks to be completed/shift expectations. Different choices for scrubs that are allowed ;)

2. Lead Veterinary Assistant

Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in La Verne, CA
    Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in La Verne, CA

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Place to learn how to read fecal, urine, ear, and blood tests. They give you a lot of hands on training and its an easy process to follow there.

Cons

They pay a little below the normal wage though, and don't offer great raises. They only hire Part time people now, unless you are a practice manager. No benefits unless you are full time.

Advice to Management

to corporate : Stop being stingy and bring back full time positions

3. Tons of opportunities if you're hard-working (and lucky enought to be recognized)

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC) in Rochester Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC) in Rochester Hills, MI

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with animals is always wonderful. The team I currently work with is dynamic despite failed leadership initiatives. Medical, auto, renters, and 401k benefits are better than most. You are given generous paid time off and 'floating holiday' pay. I believe the starting pay is better than other similar positions in the same field.

Cons

You have to be a salesperson as well as a paraprofessional because it is vital to enroll clients/patient in Optimum Wellness Plans.

Advice to Management

Do not forget where you came from! Many paraprofessions you supervise are highly competent people who strive for excellence and have a desire to grow in the company. Help them to build their leadership skills and stand in their corner when they express interest in a higher-level position.

Veterinary Assistant

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

The pets are great, and although the days are long you typically only work 3-4 days per week. They have an RVT program to help further education and at my hospital growth is important and our practice manager tries to develop us into higher roles. 401k and insurance options are pretty good.

Cons

All upper management cares about is money, not the pets, and it trickles down to the hospitals sometimes. Pay isn't great, especially for hard workers and those offering 2 or 4 year degrees.

Advice to Management

Focus less on numbers, Mars is a multi-billion dollar company. Don't understaff your hospitals and overwork your employees because you're greedy.

Decent place to work, a little behind the times

Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Banfield IT has some good things going on. Great people all in all. Interesting applications. If you're a pet-oriented person, then it's got a lot of side benefits.

Cons

It was a bit of a good-old-boy club in my group. The men tend to be given opportunities to grow more than the women. They have some old approaches to their software development. Still doing primarily waterfall. The development team is too stove-piped. It's difficult to get a chance to grow your skills. If you're one of the lucky ones at the top, you have some interesting work. If you're not, then you're basically a code monkey. Also, they don't allow any telecommuting, which in today's technology environment is ridiculous. Training is pretty much non-existent.

Advice to Management

Need to provision for better advancement of staff. Technical people need to have the ability to grow their skills or they'll go elsewhere, like I did.

7. Veterinary Technician

Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great spot to start off, get your hands dirty and learning.

Cons

corporate management can cause the smaller hospitals to internal conflicts

Advice to Management

Stop slaving the doctors with more than the appropriate number of pets per day

8. Vet assistant

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

Enjoy working for banfield, always able to learn and grow my skills, room for advancement.

Cons

Practice manager always breathing down your neck

Advice to Management

Care more for animals and less about selling

Banfield is burning me out

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC) in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC) in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Kinda flexible schedule - working with animals - Stepping stone to better things - Good benefits - 401k matching to 3% - Chance to join the MARS ambassador program

Cons

- Terrible work-life balance. Frequent 7am to 7pm days that usually carry over to 8pm or 9pm. - Upper management is numbers and profit obsessed - Understaffed. We need more staff but corporate will tell us "the pet number dont support a new hire" so we struggle, run behind, and get out late. - High turnover - No ability to fire legitimately crazy and trouble making clients. - Nurses and CSCs do everything. The Drs do very little other than look at the pet, talk to the client and put together a treatment plan for the nurse to go over with the client. If they would pitch in an run blood work or help with other tasks things would go more smoothly. - Upper management will get upset if you turn a client away if you are over booked and/or if you are still open. Even if you close in like 10 minutes and then turn around and complain about para hours being too high because the staff had to stay another 1.5 hours to see the pet and then close the hospital. Honestly, I am so tired of this job. I have been here for about a two years and while some aspects of the job are enjoyable, the hours, lack of holidays off, lack of weekends off, and low pay are killing me. I feel depressed when my day of nears its end I think about how overbooked and understaffed we probably will be.

Advice to Management

Close on Sundays. Give us holidays off. Let us fire clients who are consistently demeaning and cause problems. Loosen you pet number and daily profit requirement. Allow or more para hours per pet because I can tell you now that you the current standards are too low. We are STRESSED out at work because we need 1-2 more hands helping. You have high turnover because your pay is low. You boasted at the "Being Banfield" class that you are a billion dollar PROFIT company. You can afford to pay associates more.

10. Banfield Headquarters - CTS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, benefits, opportunities for growth, somewhat flexible schedule, good culture and support.

Cons

It's corporate and therefore hard to get things done due to how many people need to review and approve things. Gets a little political and reliant on a hierarchy.

Advice to Management

Trust in your people!

11. Chief of Staff Veterinarian

Former Employee - Chief of Staff in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Chief of Staff in Austin, TX

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits (401k + matching, medical, dental, vacation when you can use it), decent mentorship for new graduates, large case load for developing skills, good equipment, good anesthetic protocols.

Cons

Non existent work life balance. Promised time for leadership, mentoring and administration while seeing less pets ended up being a joke. While being COS I worked 55+hrs a week, saw 40% more pets and worked at multiple other hospitals. No flexibility in scheduling. Too much emphasis on metrics, pet numbers and average cost per purchase. Not enough pay for what is required. I was slowly burning out.

Advice to Management

Start taking care of your good associates. Focus on work life balance, protect your associates from burn out instead of piling on more work. Keep your promises, allow your leaders some flexibility, and time to mentor their doctors, and pay your leaders for their skills.

RSS Feed </> Embed