Banfield Pet Hospital

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber

Tony Ueber

Pros
  • Benefits are good, discounts at petsmart and free wellness plans(in 38 reviews)

• Being able to work with animals, client relationships, learning experience(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can sometimes be a challenge when you are in leadership positions(in 13 reviews)

• Pay is absolutly terrible, Have to use PTO to get full time hours to get benefits(in 10 reviews)

Love this place!

ProsOur mission is phenomenal - Helping pets live longer lives! Our practice has grown and envolved, and the opportunities and benefits are amazing. We give back to the veterinary profession and the community, which makes me very proud.

ConsWe work hard! Our practice is growing so the work is exciting yet very busy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for taking us on a path to a great culture - Don't waiver in keeping us on this journey!

Fabulous Company Culture and Wonderful Work Environments!

Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) Woodbridge, VA

ProsBanfield really believes in properly training and supporting it's employees. All employees are given quality in-house training on their job responsibilities and time to grow before full responsibilities are expected of them on a daily basis. Hourly compensation is only slightly competitive by market region/area but the generous perks - including 401k's for employees at all levels of position and hourly employment, 10 Floating Holidays in addition to earned PTO to make up for the fact that Banfield is open 363 days a year, and others - make up for the possibly lower income relative to smaller veterinary practices. In addition, practices truly believe in the company culture of both Banfield and the MARS parent companies and attempt to live it daily, instead of just preaching it emptily. Opportunities to develop on individual and group levels are provided constantly; many practice managers I know started as lower-level employees and were developed and promoted readily within the company. I'm sure not every location is perfect, but my experiences have been beyond positive most of the time.

ConsHours can be long (greater than 8 hours) sometimes, but that's part of the nursing experience and anyone interested in the position should be aware of this regardless of the specific veterinary business or location. Pay rates are lower than small practices offer (at least in my area) but the perks make up for this.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy management experiences have all been thoughtful and positive overall. My manager is consistent in attempting to give everyone constructive feedback on their performance and she attempts to give everyone days off requested, if possible.

Enjoyable

Veterinary Student Intern (Current Employee)

ProsCohesive and friendly coworkers, getting paid to work with animals, learning and applying clinical experiences, pet discounts in Petsmart and discounts in Mars Inc. products

Conslong hours (for me), long drive to work (for me), only allowed to wear blue scrubs and no other 'fun' scrubs

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsSince MARS acquisition the culture has changed to be more open. There is still room for growth but the direction is right. Employee engagement is seemingly important so they are attempting to listen to employees more. Great bonuses.

ConsSenior management is not in touch with what's going on with individual contributors. Senior management is often unavailable. Management "talks the talk" but doesn't "walk the walk". "Employee engagement" and the "Five Principles" are often viewed as a joke by individual contributors. I think this is all due to growing pains. There has been improvement in this area, but there is a long way to go. Raises are terrible, training is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaises are a joke, medical benefits are bad. They pay more for people hired into positions than people promoted into positions so long-term employment is seemingly not appreciated. This is what causes people to doubt the sincerity of the engagement efforts and the five principles.

Great place to work

Certified Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsGreat health benefits, pto, 401k, reimbursement for CE, etc. Lots of opportunity for advancement. Great pay if you work hard and prove yourself. Yearly performance based raises, higher pay for certification. High standards/quality of medicine.

ConsReputation of Banfield as a whole because of the few clinics who do not uphold to the standards. A lot of focus on numbers, like wellness plans, labor etc, which can at times lead to burnout.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone- focus on wellness plans and labor are part of running a money making business.

loved working there and would love to come back

Csc and Pet Nurse (Former Employee) Fayetteville, GA

Prosworking with the people and pets

ConsI don't have any

Advice to Senior Managementnone

CSC

Client Service Coordinator (CSC) (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsAmazing place to be able to work with animals and the public. Hours work well for a college student.

ConsNone so far, overall a great place!

Wonderful company!

Client Services Coordinator (Former Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsMoving up in the company is highly encouraged and the manager helps you advance.

ConsThe hours are long if you work full time but if you talk with your manager he or she will help work with your schedule.

Excellent place to work

Pet Care Assistant (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat learning experience for beginning in the field

ConsNot enough work to give me the hours I expected

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know enough to give advice. I've had some difficulty dealing with cliquishness and anger management within the Hospital personel. So far, all is ok. I would like more hours even though I'm still in school. I was hoping for and looking forward to working 20 hours per week. Thank you.

Love it

Practice Manager (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsEverything is amazing here at Banfield

ConsNothing really everything is great

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Banfield Pet Hospital? Contribute to the Community!