Banfield Pet Hospital

Updated December 12, 2014
2.8

Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber
Tony Ueber

Pros
  • Full time benefits are good with insurance, free wellness plans, discounts (in 47 reviews)

• Being able to work with animals, client relationships, learning experience (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone has different goals and the work-life balance at Banfield is non-existent (in 18 reviews)

• They want you to sell wellness plans so they can take clients money (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved working here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

Great people. Good company culture. Rewarding. Decent pay. Pet friendly. Good benefits. Good career advancement potential. Great leadership.

Cons

No cons that I can think of. It really was a great place to work. I enjoyed it very much.

Never settle for the status quo. Even the great can improve.

Compassion

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

They love their patients and clients

Cons

None that I know of.

Great Place

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital (more than an year)

Pros

People who truly care for pets from top down

Cons

Hard to earn annual bonus

Banfield Pet Hospital Response

Nov 28, 2014Manager, Talent Acquisition Systems

Thank you so much for your positive comments! We really appreciate it.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Pet Care Assistant in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Pet Care Assistant in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to start off with young, there are many opportunities to grow within the company. They want people that have been there long to feel important and needed, so they offer them promotions and salary increases yearly.

Cons

If you only work in the back, you technically do not have much customer experience when coming time to look for another job. When you work in the back, you only work in the back. They wouldn't promote a vet tech to work up front to answer phones and check clients in and out. It's hard for this to be someones first job when it comes down to looking for a new job.

Understand that it is difficult to reach quarterly goals as well as the client survey is not a fair way to be graded because not many people want to take them.

The culture is amazing, we make a difference in clients' lives and the life of their pets, and the teams all care.

Current Employee - Practice Manager
    Current Employee - Practice Manager

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The beliefs are really aligned with caring about the pets that come in and practicing the best medicine possible. The ability to develop into a leader role is promoted by all. Work life balance is always front of mind. The opportunities that are offered for education and self development are easily accessible.

Cons

As a practice manager we try to develop our teams, finding experience and fun veterinary technicians has been a struggle. It seems like every hospital needs technicians.

Great Culture!

Current Employee - Practice Manager in Lexington, SC
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Lexington, SC

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Banfield is owned by the MARS organization, and is driven by the 5 Principles of MARS. For that reason, we have a strong culture that all levels of associates adhere to. If you are interested in the veterinary profession, this is a great place to start because of the on-the-job training available in many states. The team is passionate about pet care and wants to offer the best care to our patients. It is very rewarding knowing you helped save a pets life or kept a pet and family together.

Cons

Can be driven by numbers, like any corporate organization. Some locations are not as driven by the 5 Principles as others. Long work hours which can interfere with work/life balance.

Need more field leaders to compensate for growing number of hospital locations.

Banfield Pet Hospital Response

Nov 28, 2014Manager, Talent Acquisition Systems

Thank you so much. The five principles are central for the way we intend to work; Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Freedom and Efficiency.

Love this place!

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Our mission is phenomenal - Helping pets live longer lives! Our practice has grown and envolved, and the opportunities and benefits are amazing. We give back to the veterinary profession and the community, which makes me very proud.

Cons

We work hard! Our practice is growing so the work is exciting yet very busy.

Thank you for taking us on a path to a great culture - Don't waiver in keeping us on this journey!

The atmosphere of this job is absolutely great.

Current Employee - Pet Care Assistant in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Pet Care Assistant in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworker relationships, enjoyable work environment. Provides wellness plans for up to 3 pets that you only pay tax on, which is around $3-5 a month compared to $30

Cons

Cannot request off during the first 90 days of employment, however can switch shifts with someone if necessary.

Fabulous Company Culture and Wonderful Work Environments!

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Banfield really believes in properly training and supporting it's employees. All employees are given quality in-house training on their job responsibilities and time to grow before full responsibilities are expected of them on a daily basis. Hourly compensation is only slightly competitive by market region/area but the generous perks - including 401k's for employees at all levels of position and hourly employment, 10 Floating Holidays in addition to earned PTO to make up for the fact that Banfield is open 363 days a year, and others - make up for the possibly lower income relative to smaller veterinary practices. In addition, practices truly believe in the company culture of both Banfield and the MARS parent companies and attempt to live it daily, instead of just preaching it emptily. Opportunities to develop on individual and group levels are provided constantly; many practice managers I know started as lower-level employees and were developed and promoted readily within the company. I'm sure not every location is perfect, but my experiences have been beyond positive most of the time.

Cons

Hours can be long (greater than 8 hours) sometimes, but that's part of the nursing experience and anyone interested in the position should be aware of this regardless of the specific veterinary business or location. Pay rates are lower than small practices offer (at least in my area) but the perks make up for this.

My management experiences have all been thoughtful and positive overall. My manager is consistent in attempting to give everyone constructive feedback on their performance and she attempts to give everyone days off requested, if possible.

Enjoyable

Current Employee - Veterinary Student Intern
    Current Employee - Veterinary Student Intern

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Cohesive and friendly coworkers, getting paid to work with animals, learning and applying clinical experiences, pet discounts in Petsmart and discounts in Mars Inc. products

Cons

long hours (for me), long drive to work (for me), only allowed to wear blue scrubs and no other 'fun' scrubs

Banfield Pet Hospital Photos