Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Reset
2.9
Banfield Pet Hospital President & CEO Tony Ueber
Tony Ueber

Pros
  • 3 free wellness plans for your pets (in 47 reviews)

• Good place to work, it is nice to work with animals (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Long work hours which can interfere with work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Having to go over wellness plans with clients who will not benefit from them (in 22 reviews)

1. Got my foot in the door

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate
    Current Employee - Pet Care Associate

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great position to get your foot in the door in the industry. Lost of things to learn from banfield.

Cons

Banfield is a large company so there is the chance that you can be pushed aside. You really have to stay focused on your goals and catch the attention of people that matter.

2. Poor management

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in Millbury, MA
    Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in Millbury, MA

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and pet food discounts

Cons

Long hours, poor management

Advice to Management

Focus more on quality pet care and taking care of your employees

3. Vet Assistant

Current Employee - Vet Assistant in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Vet Assistant in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

definitely a good place to start, they hired me as a VA with no prior experience in the veterinary field so that was great. But after being there for a while you realize the reasons why their turnover rate is so high. The VA's and VT's have a ridiculous amount of expectations that need to be fulfilled every time we work, if you're at a busy hospital (which I'm pretty sure they all are, given the policy of not being able to turn away anyone that comes in regardless of how many appointments there are/how many people and pets are already in the hopsital,) you're pretty much going to be running around like a maniac doing a million things your entire shift, every shift. Makes the time go by quick but it is exhausting to say the least. Lots and lots of staff that come and go, I've only been here a year and I'm really surprised how many people I've seen leave for different reasons. Even the Vets themselves. Like I said, it's definitely a great place to start out (experience or no experience) but it wears people down and although the career is not exactly known for being well-compensated, Banfield definitely will give you the BARE minimum that you expect/ask for and the yearly merit-increases are a joke. Can't really see it being a long-term choice for place of employment. Great learning experience though!

Cons

Lower than average pay, obsecene expectations, available hours fluctuate quite a bit

Advice to Management

Pay us what we deserve and make the raises worth sticking around for. Have programs in place that allow a more sane/reasonable distribution of tasks to be completed/shift expectations. Different choices for scrubs that are allowed ;)

5. Do not work here

Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Bowie, MD

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The animals were the only benefit to working here.

Cons

Low pay for the amount of work, did not train fully was there for 4 months and was thrown right into it not finishing training. The staff never showed up or did their job resulting in staff performing duties they knew nothing about. The staff was unprofessional and lacked management training as well. The icing on the cake was when an employee took a picture of me from behind and put it on the internet and management took 2 weeks to address the harassment and didn't make me aware of what was going on. The staff was dirty and didn't properly clean. Animals were kept in cages all day in their feces. Staff gave vaccinations and treatment that was false. Long hours.

Advice to Management

Manage better and pay attention to your unprofessional employees.

6. Lead Veterinary Assistant

Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in La Verne, CA
    Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in La Verne, CA

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Place to learn how to read fecal, urine, ear, and blood tests. They give you a lot of hands on training and its an easy process to follow there.

Cons

They pay a little below the normal wage though, and don't offer great raises. They only hire Part time people now, unless you are a practice manager. No benefits unless you are full time.

Advice to Management

to corporate : Stop being stingy and bring back full time positions

Let us do what we were hired to do!

Current Employee - Practice Manager in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people and I believe in the mission of the company. Good opportunity for advancement of you are willing to put in the time and effort.

Cons

Horrible work/life balance. Hospitals are horribly understaffed which results in people working multiple positions and affecting hospital cleanliness and quality of work. Instead of letting managers run the business they cut labor so drastically that Practice Managers and Doctors end up doing the work of Vet Techs and CSCs which doesn't allow them to do what they are meant to (drive business, coach and train associates, etc). Banfield also doesn't offer competitive salary for technicians which makes it difficult to hire people with experience.

Advice to Management

Let your people do what they were hired for. It's part of our Q12 "I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day". Understand that sometimes you need to spend money to make money. Hospitals can't run at peak performance when we are running one tech and one doctor a day to control labor spending. Close on holidays/ and or close slower locations. I manage a smaller hospital and I spend more money on labor than I make from seeing appointments on holidays. It kills morale and is a waste of resources. Have pay incentives for experienced/licensed technicians or we are going to keep attracting inexperienced techs who stay for a year to get experience then leave for higher paying positions at private practices or emergency facilities. Make field leadership spend more time in hospitals! I am lucky if my field director visits twice a year. Better yet make it a requirement that they work in a hospital as a csc or tech at least once a quarter so they understand the day to day workings of a hospital (since it seems like most field leaders have never worked in a hospital before and don't understand what it's like). Stop telling people that they are replaceable. Again it kills morale and makes us feel like we have no job stability. Have more structure! There needs to be better structure for accountability!!! I called and spoke to Associate a Relations regarding a concern with an associate (that would have resulted in termination at any of my previous jobs) and was told that I should just have a "seek to understand conversation"...seriously? But then field directors will skip the steps that are supposed to exist and put people on finals without any prior documentation for hospital performance the first time the hospital misses a metric. So many problems...fix them....

8. Tons of opportunities if you're hard-working (and lucky enought to be recognized)

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC) in Rochester Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC) in Rochester Hills, MI

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with animals is always wonderful. The team I currently work with is dynamic despite failed leadership initiatives. Medical, auto, renters, and 401k benefits are better than most. You are given generous paid time off and 'floating holiday' pay. I believe the starting pay is better than other similar positions in the same field.

Cons

You have to be a salesperson as well as a paraprofessional because it is vital to enroll clients/patient in Optimum Wellness Plans.

Advice to Management

Do not forget where you came from! Many paraprofessions you supervise are highly competent people who strive for excellence and have a desire to grow in the company. Help them to build their leadership skills and stand in their corner when they express interest in a higher-level position.

9. Vet assistant

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

Enjoy working for banfield, always able to learn and grow my skills, room for advancement.

Cons

Practice manager always breathing down your neck

Advice to Management

Care more for animals and less about selling

Decent place to work, a little behind the times

Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Banfield IT has some good things going on. Great people all in all. Interesting applications. If you're a pet-oriented person, then it's got a lot of side benefits.

Cons

It was a bit of a good-old-boy club in my group. The men tend to be given opportunities to grow more than the women. They have some old approaches to their software development. Still doing primarily waterfall. The development team is too stove-piped. It's difficult to get a chance to grow your skills. If you're one of the lucky ones at the top, you have some interesting work. If you're not, then you're basically a code monkey. Also, they don't allow any telecommuting, which in today's technology environment is ridiculous. Training is pretty much non-existent.

Advice to Management

Need to provision for better advancement of staff. Technical people need to have the ability to grow their skills or they'll go elsewhere, like I did.

Veterinary Assistant

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

The pets are great, and although the days are long you typically only work 3-4 days per week. They have an RVT program to help further education and at my hospital growth is important and our practice manager tries to develop us into higher roles. 401k and insurance options are pretty good.

Cons

All upper management cares about is money, not the pets, and it trickles down to the hospitals sometimes. Pay isn't great, especially for hard workers and those offering 2 or 4 year degrees.

Advice to Management

Focus less on numbers, Mars is a multi-billion dollar company. Don't understaff your hospitals and overwork your employees because you're greedy.

RSS Feed </> Embed