Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union

Eli Vazquez

Upper management apathic

Former Employee - Communications Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Communications Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Starting benefits are good although they are cutting them more and more

Cons

Upper management treats employees as modern day servants

Wake up!! you already losing great talent and knowledge

Sucks

I have been working at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits! Benefits! Benefits! Benefits! Benefits!

Cons

Only those who are in the "In Crowd" get the opportunities. HR feels those who have been with the credit union longer should get the opportunities over those who may have more talent.

I had great hope in the new CEO ... I've been sorely disappointed.

It is a good entry level position, but limited growth opportunities

I have been working at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union

Pros

There are great benefits. For example 5 Weeks Vacation

Cons

There is limited growth opportunities.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corruption at its best

Former Employee - Member Services Representative  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My colleagues were great! It was nice to work in an international environment and learn about different cultures.

Cons

Management, including HR, actively prevent those who are not the favorites from moving up within the company.

What goes around, comes around.

One Way Communication

Current Employee - Account Service Representative  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Service Representative in Washington, DC

Pros

The benefits are very nice, particularly the insurance and the time off. Also, there are a number of people at Bank-Fund who still care. Sadly, many are leaving or planning to leave.

Cons

Oppressive atmosphere, intimidation tactics, no real concern about the employees, management does not want to hear new ideas or suggestions for improvement

Get new management... maybe some people who care. Also, if there is a strategic plan, employees should be able to contribute to it, or at least hear it. At a minimum, management should be living the plan. Company values? They are just words

It's a trap

I have been working at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

The traps, I mean benefits: 26 days vacation, 15 days sick leave, 401k contribution up to 12%; and a diverse work force.

Cons

Lack of Growth: After reaching level 2, opportunities to grow vanishes. When management level position opens, staff are often told they do not meet minimum qualifications. When staff requests management level training or seminars, requests were denied or redirected to lower level because high level training programs are for managers. It's a vicious cycle that limits staff growth professionally, and also exaggerates the next issue: management.

Management: Most senior level managers have been with company for over 10, 15, and some over 20 years. While we don't know how they get the positions they have, they do not have the drive to implement new initiatives, if there are any new initiatives. New programs typically fails due to management's failure to fully develop it, its associated procedures, create buy-in with staff, and clumsy execution. Another issue that permeates all levels of company is lack of succession planning (see Lack of Growth). Board of Directors took 1.5 years to find a replacement for a departed CEO. For mid-level managers, the position usually sits vacant for 2 to 3 months before it's filled, and in recent times mid-level managers have been outside hires (see Lack of Growth again).

Board of Directors: This is a credit union and credit union members are its owners and board members are elected within this group. This Board takes 'protecting ownership interests' to heart. Members who are denied for exceptions usually writes to the Board to complain. The Board then passes the complain to senior management, then senior management to departmental management. By the time it gets to departmental level managers, they just want to get rid of the complaining members by giving them what they want, often regardless of US compliance and regulations. This is all done in the name of providing superior service and heighten member satisfaction. What the Board, and management, fails to recognize that members are not accustomed to US banking system and financial laws, and following laws in general. Instead of bending to member wills, they need to take a stand and educate members.

Office Politics: Yes, it's everywhere and in every office. However, this place has the worst politics on display of all places. Staff would be hired for specialized positions with no experience even though job description clearly stated so, and applicants with the necessary experience were not even selected for interviews. When inquired about which minimum qualifications they do not meet, the answers are usually trivial and some even resorted to point out minor spelling mistakes on cover letters and resumes. To get ahead within this organization, staff need to be in the "In." Otherwise regardless of experience and educational background, there is no opportunity for advancement (see Lack of Growth again, again).

Get a new crop of senior management for fresh ideas, initiatives, and industry insights. Invest in staff to make them feel appreciated and give them opportunities to grow. There are a lot of young, bright, driven, and well educated people working here. Don't drive them away.

Member Services Representative

Current Employee - Member Services  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Member Services in Washington, DC

Pros

Many days off, great poeple to work with

Cons

No chances to advance and grow within the company

Stop micro-managing

My overall experience was ok

Former Employee - Communications Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Communications Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

Stable market, good job security

Cons

Bad management, no chance for growth

Listen to the employees more

They wait for you to mess up

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Benefits, somewhat laid back environment.

Cons

There is a department that sends out "activities" when we make an error. An activity is something sent internally to the person that made an error and copied to all the managers. These activities count against us on our employee reviews and progress report. Activities could be sent for errors as small as not crossing a t or dotting and I. The department that sends the activities do not attempt to fix them themselves, they just send them to the employees and make them fix it.

Do you see the problem here? You pay people to wait for us to mess up. That's all they do. Why don't you pay them to fix our errors, at least. Or maybe have them send us an email/call that does not have to be sent to all of our managers.

Held multiple positions

Former Employee - Member Services Representative  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Washington, DC

Pros

26-30 personal days, paid Holidays and paid Sick days
    Located near Metro
    A lot of different nationalities

Cons

Grow potential is limited
    Hire from outside
    Training is limited due to under staffed departments

Better pay and don't skim on a few dollars that keep your employees loyal

Worked for Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!