Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union

2.4
Eli Vazquez

1. Very nice people

I worked at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and works as a team. A lot of paid time off as well. Good starter job

Cons

Low salary. Will promote the person who has been there longer rather than who is more qualified. They are not up to date with techno focal advancements. Still do not have an online banking mobile app! This is just one example of how dated the company is.

What's the difference between BFSFCU and Donald Trump running for president?

Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My colleagues were the only reason I enjoyed coming to work every day

Cons

Where do I even begin... First, management is incompetent. They are constantly changing procedures to the point where no one even knows how to do something the correct way. They also have their favorites and if you aren't one of them, you will not move up in the company or get treated with respect for that matter. The member's are extremely demanding and rude. Part of the reason that they are is because management is always making exceptions for them, so they feel as though they can treat and speak to you the way that they do. Everything is always malfunctioning in the branch (machines, programs, etc.). It's the 21st century and they still do not even have a mobile banking app. The compensation is also extremely low. If you have to take one takeaway from this, just know that management will gladly throw you under the bus to get ahead themselves. You should be able to trust your manager and feel as though they have your best interest at heart and I have never felt that way working there.

Advice to Management

If I had it my way, you would be fired for your incompetency. Treat your employees with more respect and maybe they wouldn't hate working there like I did. You always preach about improving our "engaged services" with the members, but why shouldn't we get treated the same way from you? Maybe if you actually worked on this, the turnover wouldn't be so high.

3. Dissapointing

Former Employee - Account Service Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Service Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were amazing. They were the reason I could even stand to be at this place every day. Benefits were also great.

Cons

Management. Very low salary. Not a great environment to be in. The worst customers I have ever dealt with. Even though benefits are great it isn't worth the stress and environment.

Advice to Management

You should care a little more about your employees and then the turn over would t be so bad.

5. A Great Organization!

Current Employee - Information Technology
    Current Employee - Information Technology

I have been working at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union (More than 10 years)

Pros

Highly educated staff, majority are very professional and committed to providing high quality service to the membership. Senior leadership is moving the organization in the right direction.

Cons

In an effort to control costs, there were some changes to employee benefits starting in late 2014, but the overall benefits package, including annual leave and year-end bonuses, is still much better than I am aware of in ANY banks or credit unions, and better than most companies in the DC area.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage promotion from within to provide career advancing opportunities for those who show that they have the abilities, intelligence and desire to contribute to the success of BFSFCU.

A Dead End

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union

Pros

Decent staff at the lower rungs, decent vacation, 401K match, facilities

Cons

Where do I start. Total dysfunction from top to bottom. Management is in a cocoon. They make changes without any forethought on its impact and how to implement it only to retreat when it fails as expected. There has been realignments so many times that it makes one’s head spin. In essence no one knows who they report to or answer to. On several occasions, directors have lied to their staff about the details of programs only to blame the poor staff for implementing along their instructions. Skills on the staff is ignored and allowed to wither on the vine as incompetence reigns. Deserving staff are routinely passed over for promotions leading to a parade of departures that should be alarming to any functioning institution. HR is a corrupt parasitic department that drains the life force from everything they touch. Instead of grooming staff for success, they are too busy finding ways to keep them down. I have never seen a place that is this openly hostile to free thought, initiative and creativity. The newly adopted system was a train wreck from the start. There was a promise of less paperwork in operations, ease of information gathering, ease of use and overall better service to clients. None of these goals came to pass as the system was an unmitigated disaster. It is slow, generates more paper than Georgia Pacific and clients hate it. It was done at an exorbitant cost that is now being balanced on the back of the staff with ever increasing benefit cuts. Everyone there seems to be in a sour disposition as they seek for the light at the end of tunnel and for the pain to cease. Everyone has one foot out the door as they put on a brave face. It wasn’t always so bad in the past, but as the management grew more insular and filled its ranks with the lackluster, the institution suffered. The board of directors who should see the wasteland before it, only cares about the dwindling dividend instead of breathing new life into a dying institution gasping for its last breath. Get out while your sanity is in tact!!! Trust me life is better on the other side.

Advice to Management

Practice the engaged service you are so keen on preaching. Create the space for people to contribute and be recognized for their efforts instead of grandstanding. Modernize the online banking system and create mobile banking as we are firmly in the 21st century. While you are at it, can you make sure your third party call center can pull up accounts without the third degree. Remember its not their fault that the system leaves the most brilliant person brain dead. Promote staff from within while they choose to put up with your nonsense.

JOKE JOKE JOKE

I worked at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits. They were decent but the decreasing as time goes by.

Cons

Upper management is a joke. What you learn in training hardly relates to job duties. The pay is not good in comparison. Like everything else in life you live and you learn. I do not recommend

Advice to Management

This is not a boot camp treat your "essential" employees with some respect.

Credit union's version of a sweat shop... With benefits!

Former Employee - Lending
    Former Employee - Lending

I worked at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Best company when it comes to vacation and 401(k). But you'll be using your vacation time because of the stress of the work place. See "con".

Cons

Incompetent staff are being rewarded or promoted; never been reprimanded. Staff who are competent or excel at their position are assigned more work from the incompetent staff and supervisors and never promoted. Supervisor would rather put a member complaint in their voice mail than take the call and diffuse the situation. Some management have no consideration and loudly discuss inappropriate topics such as race, sexual contents and disability (just to name a few). Don't bother going to HR; managers and supervisors are protected! Whether or not you're in management's "click", if you're not a supervisor or manager, they'll keep using you until you are completely burned out. Board members need to visit unexpectedly because management and supervisors will put a "let's pretend everything is GREAT" face. Don't bother filling out member surveys because management and supervisors hide the negative feedback and only hand in good feedback to present to the board.

Advice to Management

You all need to be fired! And if you want to promote a sales environment to a staff not used to being a "used car salesman", you need to find better training and incentives than "fake dollars" which are never redeemed. Hire supervisors which knows the job of their staff! And quit blaming the CEO about a decision to promote an undeserving staff member and tell staff that it was not your decision.

Great Place to Work and Grow for Diverse Candidates

I worked at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union

Pros

Great work life balance. I joined out of college and was really impressed with the amount of time off. The leadership was very supportive of growth opportunities. Able to apply for new roles after only six months. I found the HR Staff very helpful, and the 401K plan was amazing. Over 50% of all of the leaders were either a minority or a woman, so it was a place where I could see myself growing based on my abilities. As a minority, I would strongly recommend this place to others.

Cons

Training is less hands-on than I like, so most of my training was conducted on the job. Too many long time underperforming employees still in entry level jobs. They are bitter and a bad influence on new staff members.

Advice to Management

Move the negative employees out of the company. They are not adding value and spend their entire day talking about how they have been wronged, instead of taking ownership for their own career development.

10. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

The people really are nice no matter what area you are in. It's great to work downtown and be a part of the World Bank culture (although we don't work for the WB). The benefits are great, seriously the best I've ever had in any job. A lot of the younger employees who are just out of college don't know how good they have it.

Cons

Though the pay seems low to some, the year end bonus helps bring it up to match other companies. It's a small organization, so you have to hang in there and wait for the right position to open up in order to grow, but I've seen it happen a lot for friends. Good work gets rewarded here.

Advice to Management

The cost cutting measures seem to be going to a bit of an extreme, though I admit I am not part of the management team who would know what happens in the budget meetings.

Bank Fund reminds me of the police department in Fergusson

I worked at Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were good, but we're being changed. On a previous review some idiot stated that some individuals need to look in the mirror.......take your own advice. You are one of the people MOST folks on this sight are talking about. Management have a Paula Dean outlook on life........ If you really look at the history of management you will see it all. Most have committed affairs (internally) which explains how tight and committed they are and why certain individuals are being promoted...They turn good people bad, strong people weak, trustworthy to non trustworthy.

Cons

There are too many secrets being hidden for that organization to move forward. People don't do what is right or what is expected.....they do what THEY feel they need to do to keep their job. You have supervisors and directors having affairs. They think the staff did/does not know but they are sadly mistaken. Promotions are not based on hardwork.....its rather based on if management feels as if they can trust you to be corrupt

Advice to Management

Take a good look at Congress because that is how some of your employees look at you. They really resent you but are to afraid to admit it. The truth will come out one day. All of the lies and corruption will all come out one day and you all (that are corrupt) will face the repercussions you put out there. You all were "trolling" around Breed, smiling in his face and look where he is now. The proof is out that several of you guys had A LOT to do with his demise....... Just because someone was fired does not mean they deserved it. Just because someone was let go because of poor performance does not mean they did not give their all. Staff is constantly let go but management remains the same........that's crazy!! Management need to be replaced. The new CEO need to really examine his staff past and make changes from there. No Director should be allowed to have an affair with a supervisor........

RSS Feed </> Embed