Bank of America

Bank of America President & CEO Brian T. Moynihan

Brian T. Moynihan

105 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

wonderful employer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits, wonderful work environment, decent pay. Much support is offered to severed employees. Time off is available based on seniority and work schedule, usually worked out and not ,much of a provlem. Great place to work.

ConsNeed to have an initiative to work problems out, when changes occur, be prepared to help solve the issues, nothing is handed to you on a silver platter..

Great place to work

Software Architect (Current Employee)
Bridgewater, MA

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgreta pay, less stress, good vacation and holiday package

ConsNothing that I can think of

Good technology compared to other companies

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than a year

ProsHere there is care and spend taken with technology. Smaller companies will often band aid things together

Consit's so big it's hard to get noticed

I worked in recruiting in the Boston office

Senior Recruiter (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Bank of America as a contractor for more than a year

ProsBofA really impressed me for several reasons.....even though they are a large company, they are able to move very quickly when they want to hire someone which can give them a competitive edge. Salaries and overall compensation is very competitive to the market. But the main thing that impressed me was that they are very open to moving people around within the organization and look outside the black and white box of resumes and title and instead consider special skills and strengths and potential. It's very progressive of them. Another strength is that they are very flexible about working from home as long as you are able to get the work done.

ConsMy biggest con was meetings! Conference calls...not a big fan. :)

Terrible company to work for. Over-stressed and under-paid.

Personal Banker (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Bank of America full-time for less than a year

ProsGood hours.
Opportunity for advancement.
competetive environment.

ConsTerrible computerized training.
Big time stress for entry-level pay.
Misguided leadership with little to no cohesiveness.
Elitest regional director who loves to threaten everyones job.
I left this job to save my soul and pursue employment with more appropriate compensation.
I chose to write this review to hopefully save others from taking this awful job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horse and learn more effective ways of leadership other than scare tactics and finger pointing.

Learned about sales process, and excellent customer service. Awesome coworkers and direct managers.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Natick, MA

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of resources and training modules, opportunities for upward mobility within defined sector of the company.

ConsA lot of bureaucracy and upper management not understanding real situations. Limited overtime, and not enough staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a day after 6pm in a busy banking center with limited staff.

Misleading and Micromanaged

Sales and Service Specialist (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than a year

ProsSolid brand with detailed training; however, all computerized so hard to remember everything when you first start off. Great benefits and tuition reimbursement. New incentive plan rolled out for all associates, including the tellers. Also, if you are a top performer in your market every quarter, sometimes they do special recognition meetings. I work in a smaller branch and that has helped form tight relationships and a great work dynamic.

ConsWhere do I begin? HEAVY emphasis on sales, even though the incentive for it is quite low (for teller/SSS). Goals are unrealistic and too high if you work in a busier banking center--thus making your work environment very stressful due to high expectations. Raises every year, but are so low that it barely makes any sort of difference in your pay. Usually the hardest working employees are the least paid. I have been a top performer in my market every quarter, and have gotten some recognition for it, but would be nice to actually feel you are making a difference in the company versus just being a number. There is not a lot of room for growth, and advancement is not based on meritocracy. Management tends to micromanage like crazy, especially the market and area executives. If you went to college and have a degree thinking it will help you move up quickly, forget it. Your degree is basically useless because it will not get you a promotion or a raise. Frequent changes--which is expected. However, you get used to one thing and they change it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more realistic sales goals for your employees, and focus more on the customer rather than getting a sale. Train your managers to manage effectively, and NOT micromanage every aspect. Promote those who prove themselves and work hard. Increase the pay so people don't feel like they are working for pennies.

Typical "Sales" Teller Position

Teller (Former Employee)

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than a year

ProsFree accounts. (Our branch had) a diverse, multicultural environment & supportive, enjoyable coworkers. Promotes from within.. many opportunities. Educational opportunities. Paid "volunteer" day. It was a good job to work around my college schedule as well.

ConsConstant sales pressure with goals that were excessive. Constantly having to deal with customer frustration of BOA policies, illegal mortgage issues, excessive fees, sales pitches, etc, etc. Minimal appreciation for those on staff (such as myself) with extensive experience. In my previous experience with other banks, I was responsible for management, overrides, checks, & approvals up to $500,000. With BOA...we all were reduced to $1000..Sigh. A constant need for overrides seriously impacts quality CS & breeds employee dissatisfaction. Your lack of faith in those of us who excelled & tried to push this company forward in a positive way was a big part of why I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease refer to the cons section

Satisfactory. Provides very good work-life balance.

Senior Interaction Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDependable, good benefits, nice people.

ConsBig company, too many stakeholders, mediocre processes, mediocre internal communications, very little appetite for innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart harnessing the power of collaboration platforms to aggregate internal and cross-project communications that better mirror how people actually work.

Poor, unprofessional leaders who are unqualified but highly touted, nonetheless....

Small Business (Former Employee)
Saugus, MA

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCulture is shifting and improving internally and new focus is on various Lines of Business working together to accomplish the greater goal.

Work, life balance can be achieved in certain roles outside of the Banking Centers.

Overall benefits package is generous. This is a nice perk in today's environment.

The brand on the street and in communities is slowly improving. The Bank has done a great job of riding out the storm and changing the perception on Main Street.

ConsPoorly qualified Senior level executives are in roles they are unqualified for. Somehow, they build up enough tenure and are placed in positions to lead based on that alone. Meanwhile, they are impacting the lives of some very talented, up-and-coming professionals and stunting their growth. It is surprising that these unqualified, unprofessional 'executives' manage to remain in their roles and fly under the radar for so long.

Honesty is shunned, unless you are praising the Bank. When questions are asked to improve operations, you are better off remaining quiet or you will be blacklisted for good. Drink the Kool Aid and put your head down. That is the best means for survival in a shark tank such as this.

No room to grow if you are at a certain level or Band 4 or 5. If you find an opportunity outside of the Bank, you will undoubtedly make more money.

Banking Center associates are treated poorly. They are underpaid, over- worked and have very little opportunity to qualify for bonuses based in unrealistic incentive goals. Moral, amongst this group, is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful of who you place in leadership roles. Poll your associates to learn more about how their managers are doing. Implement some checks and balances to ensure that these leaders are above board. When there is an influx of departing team members and the common denominator for their exiting is their leader, do some additional digging. It's not a coincidence. Don't look the other way.

Worked for Bank of America? Contribute to the Community!

Bank of America Videos

Bank of America – Why Work for Us?

At Bank of America, we’re creating real, meaningful relationships with individuals, businesses and communities to help them focus on what matters most. Every day, we connect with 57 million customers, using our skills… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bank of America reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bank of America CEO Brian T. Moynihan. All 105 reviews posted anonymously by Bank of America employees.