Bank of America

6,593 Reviews

Bank of America President & CEO Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan
2,811 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance including remote work from home for certain positions (in 389 reviews)

• They have a program called MyWork which allows you to work from home or from any location (in 213 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance seems to be skewed towards work side more often than not (in 157 reviews)

• upper management failed to listen to the lower ranks often missing oppertuinitys (in 178 reviews)

More Highlights

469 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Diverse experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Financial Institution with broad and deep services which allows a wide range of career paths. Competative pay, average bonus.

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenege, and leadership has a tendancy to hire from outside rather than promote from within a far amount of the time.

Better leverage internal talent.

I enjoy working with the other software developers.

Current Employee - Programmer Professor Markets  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Programmer Professor Markets in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have good benefits, such as retirement and health care plans. The vacation and paid time off is fair. Overall I enjoy it.

Cons

Getting business side to create understandable documents for the developers to use in the process of creating the software they need to do their jobs.

You should buy cake on every ones birthday.

Great place to work

Current Employee - CRM  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - CRM in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment, great pay, good, benefits and fun co-workers

Cons

poor managment and no overtime

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive, supportive environment which fosters great career opportunities in the years to come.

Current Employee - Operations Management Analyst  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Operations Management Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team environment, supportive coworkers, amazing networking opportunities with the company's top C-suite executives and leadership teams. Lots of potential through the different affinity networks, programs, and skill sets (Khan Academy, Lynda, etc.) that are provided on behalf of the bank. Always ways to develop yourself and move forward. Compensation is strong initially but the salary bumps year to year could use some improvement, especially for those in their 20s, but not a legitimate concern by any means.

Cons

Your advancement in the company comes only through years and years of experience, networking, and bureaucratics involved (re-organizations and constant change of leadership). Innovation/creativity is not needed; you think like the bank for the bank's best benefit.

Decent company

Current Employee - Associate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is definitely higher at this company than what other companies pay for similar positions. There was flexibility in the past with working from home, but that has shrunken. From my experience the name of the company holds a lot weight. It will open doors for you externally.

Cons

It is the "good old boys club" type of atmosphere. It's all about who you know and not what you know. Expect to be treated unfairly. The hours expected are a lot but nothing nearly as bad as some other companies. Raises and bonuses are less than impressive. It is very difficult to move up and move to other departments in this company. Many people in management roles don't actually know how to manage nor do they really know what's going on in their area.

I have no advice for this company. It is going to operate itself into the ground no matter what anyone advises just as it has already done.

Customer Relationship Manager II

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Manager II  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Relationship Manager II in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked the fact that I was able to help home owners maintain their home through work out options.

Cons

I don't have any at this time.

Multiple LOBs and positions

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Excellent benefits (health, vision, dental, 401k matching, associate matching gifts, etc.)
    Upward mobility
    Number and diversity of opportunity

Cons

Every area is different and team dynamics can be challenging in certain pockets. The work can also become stale after short periods depending on how specialized the group you are in happens to be. The constant change and layoffs while I was at BAC certainly made individuals feel somewhat anxious and devalued.

Abusive Managers and Colleagues Alike

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Bank of America as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I cannot think of anything at this time.

Cons

Worked in IT for a maniac female manager who only talked about being a BAND 3. It seemed as though everything she did was to intentionally upset employees. I would not recommend BofA to my worst enemy. There was no support system and everyone was very difficult to work with. Even folks onsite would not talk to each other. They promise contractors FTE work but never deliver but you might just get furloughed without pay.

Hire Competent Managers

Gotten much worse over the last few years - Look elsewhere

Current Employee - Tech Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Tech Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Decent Pay
    - Opportunities to move elsewhere in the organization (but the grass is never greener)

Cons

- Benefits are all slowly being taken back or withdrawn. Used to brag about my benefits package, now I'm embarrassed. Health insurance rates have gone through the roof while coverage has been pulled back. Work from Home benefit being rolled back across the company.
    - Culture is disorganized chaos. Normal to spend 7-8 hours a day on conference calls and then have to put in hours of work after hours to actually get work done.
    - Never any effort to thing long term, always just trying to put out the latest fire drill without a worry of root cause.

There's a huge disconnect between the execs and managers that make decisions and the people that do the work and there's always unrealistic expectations of what can be done. Teams rarely backfill positions when people leave/are laid off and individuals are expected to continuously do more with less.

The 'fire drill' culture is fine for a while, but after 12-18 months, it'll burn out even the most stalwart employee which just leads to a bunch of burnt out, bitter individuals.

Meh.

Former Employee - IT Analyst  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's just ok not great.

Cons

It's just ok not great.

Worked for Bank of America? Contribute to the Community!